I did a little comparison last night while lamping. I use a Hawke Sport 3-9x50IR and my mate uses an 8x56 s&b, I bought a meopta artemis 2000 7x50 yesterday which I was planning to use in place of the old Hawke....

Now, IMO there was not much difference between the meopta and the s&b, both bright and crystal clear but the ultra fine reticle in the meopta got lost at distance, and 7x mag wouldn't be enough for me to confidently shoot past 200 yards...The s&b at just 1x more mag was noticeably better and the duplex reticle was perfect, it also has a slightly bigger sight picture. The Hawke was not quite as bright as either of them or not quite as clear, but I have still shot a dozen or so foxes past 200 yards. But the real struggle is with Id'ing anything at range....This is where the s&b shines through, and also the real reason for me to upgrade...

So the meopta is going back tomorrow, Lovely scope just not what I want, I think it would be spot on for woodland stalking or lamping to 150ish yards...

My new purchase tonight from eBay is a second hand leupold vx3 3.5-10x50.....I figure if I don't like it I will just stick it straight back on for sale... I'm hopeful that it will be just what I'm after....

Anyone had any experience with any of the above, I would especially like to hear anyone's thoughts on the vx3...... :thumbs:

I've got 2 vx3's one on a 22.250 and the other on a .22 rimfire, also a Leupold Premium on a .270.

Both vx3's are excellent for my application, as they both have the varmint 'ladder type', reticules, so I'm not sure mine would

be much good for your use of long range lamping as the 'ret is very fine and is hard to see clearly under the lamp, especially

with a red filter which I use, both are fine in good light, and reasonably close at night.

The scope build quality is top notch, and adjustments are spot on and repeatable, just make sure you get a suitable (ie thick enough)

ret for your needs, I have sunshades and the Alumina flip-ups on both vx3's, I recently got a Leupold VXR illuminated for my 7x57

for woodland stalking in shaded 'green' undergrowth, the Duplex middle dot reticule is very good, and would I think make a very useful

lamping scope. By the way although all are variables I keep them on 8x.

Anyway, as a confirmed Leupold fan they are my first choice, the only scope I've tried that I would consider would be a NightForce,

• Like 1

I've got 2 vx3's one on a 22.250 and the other on a .22 rimfire, also a Leupold Premium on a .270.

Both vx3's are excellent for my application, as they both have the varmint 'ladder type', reticules, so I'm not sure mine would

be much good for your use of long range lamping as the 'ret is very fine and is hard to see clearly under the lamp, especially

with a red filter which I use, both are fine in good light, and reasonably close at night.

The scope build quality is top notch, and adjustments are spot on and repeatable, just make sure you get a suitable (ie thick enough)

ret for your needs, I have sunshades and the Alumina flip-ups on both vx3's, I recently got a Leupold VXR illuminated for my 7x57

for woodland stalking in shaded 'green' undergrowth, the Duplex middle dot reticule is very good, and would I think make a very useful

lamping scope. By the way although all are variables I keep them on 8x.

Anyway, as a confirmed Leupold fan they are my first choice, the only scope I've tried that I would consider would be a NightForce,

Don't bother with a nightforce, i had one and got shut of it quickly. I compared it side by side with my mates meopta at a third the price and the meopta was much better glass.

Well, I got the leupold today, its a vx111 not a vx3...... :hmm: a little confused, but i think its the older model....

I still had the meopta and so had a look through both, and to be honest, I couldn't tell much difference in the daylight at close range, maybe one might edge it in low light conditions or at distance....Anyhow, I needed more mag than the meopta had so the leupy is here to stay with its 10x mag and lifetime warranty, I saved £100 too... :thumbs:

If the used leupold hadn't come to my attention, I would have had a new meopta meopro 6-18x50...

Great scopes walshie, but looking through my mates 8x56, we both thought a little more mag would be best for what we do...Plus most of them have 30mm tube and I already have some decent 25mm leupold mounts, so a slight saving there too!

The variable mag s&bs are rarer and more money than I wanted to spend...

Im zeroing mine with this leupold vx111 asap with them 53grn superformance rounds...

• Like 1