300g good quality black pudding – cut into chunks

One onion – finely chopped

Two carrots – peeled and roughly-chopped into 1cm lumps

Half a swede – peeled and roughly-chopped into 1cm lumps

A sprig of fresh thyme

Two bay leaves

Salt and freshly-ground black pepper

Method

In a casserole or pan large enough to take the rabbit, cover the rabbit with cold water and add the thyme and bay leaves and a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer or put into a pre-heated oven at 180°C, gas mark 4 for about 1½ hours or until the meat is falling off the bones. Remove the meat and bones, pass the resultant stock through a fine strainer and return to the pan. Add the pearl barley, black pudding, onion, carrot and swede and bring back to a simmer for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Leave the lid off but watch that it doesn’t get too thick and add a little water if necessary.

Meanwhile, pick all the meat off the bones, watching out for any fine bones. When the vegetables are cooked, add the rabbit meat to the casserole, check the seasoning, reheat and serve with lots of creamy mashed potato.

See how this turns out, update later!

• Like 3

yep you need some sort of stock rather than using plain water, I would try roasting bones from a previous rabbit until coloured and simmer them with garlic and onions for a couple of hours, strain, reduce by at least half, season if needed and use that instead, stock cubes of any type are not allowed over the door in this house

• Like 1

The rabbit was simmered on the frame, I think it was supposed to flavour the stock, well it did not. Lesson learned and modifying for next attempt. (2 x chicken and 1 x veg stock cubes and cooking the black pud before use).

STOCK CUBES, hanging offence, call the culinary executioner please :bad::whistling:

Normandy rabbit, par boil the rabbit for 30 mins, strip all the meat off the bones, fry in olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic chopped, fry until brown, add two tablespoons of tomato pure and fry for 3 minutes, add a half pint of dry cider, and stir well, simmer for 5 mins, then serve and enjoy, I really like it with bubble and squeak, or carrot and turnip mash, but it works well on wholegrain rice too, ENJOY.

• Like 1

The rabbit was simmered on the frame, I think it was supposed to flavour the stock, well it did not. Lesson learned and modifying for next attempt. (2 x chicken and 1 x veg stock cubes and cooking the black pud before use).

STOCK CUBES, hanging offence, call the culinary executioner please :bad::whistling:

If they are good enough for Marco Pierre White (a chef who likes his shooting) they are good enough for me :victory:

Normandy rabbit, par boil the rabbit for 30 mins, strip all the meat off the bones, fry in olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic chopped, fry until brown, add two tablespoons of tomato pure and fry for 3 minutes, add a half pint of dry cider, and stir well, simmer for 5 mins, then serve and enjoy, I really like it with bubble and squeak, or carrot and turnip mash, but it works well on wholegrain rice too, ENJOY.

Now im going to try this Charlie :boogy: :boogy: :boogy:

you have got my mouth watering sound nice real nice

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Now im going to try this Charlie :boogy: :boogy: :boogy:

you have got my mouth watering sound nice real nice

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

It is Mac, just make sure you use really dry cider, let me know mate when you have tried it, hope you like it pal :thumbs: