Advice On Starting Up In Pest Control

Not sure this is in the right section so mods please move if so.

Me and my mates work ferrets and lurchers in Devon. We use nets and never flush to guns. I have been offered a fair bit of permission through a friend of a friend but the owner has asked that I need to be a registered company and have insurance. To be honest it's not about the money it's getting out with the lads, dogs and ferrets. The simple thing for him to do would be to go straight to an existing company but he hasn't! So my questions are:

Is it easy enough to set up a company?

What type of insurance will be required?

I have contacted the British Pest Control Association for advice.

Any advice appreciated. Please drop me a Pm. Thanks ATB.

Mate, Here’s the link to Companies House, but setting up a limited company just to go ferreting sounds like a lot of hastle.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house

I suspect a lot of ‘existing companies’ have just opened a bank account: Joe Bloggs T/A Pest Control – or whatever - then go to a no-thrills business insurer and get the lowest possible public liability insurance; probably cost you £150 or something like that (It’s generally only the PLI cert that property/land managers want to see)

That would be a very, very ‘Cowboy’ attitude it you were actually advertising as a pest control company, but if you just want to go ferreting I think that’s an honest enough way of doing it.

• Like 1

join CA/ SACS and tell him you've got 5mil insurance and leave it at that. Don't waste you time registering as a company.....

Cheers Darcy. Yep been chatting about that option. Can't be doing with setting up a company! I have the day job already. Just good to have the option of running/ferreting the land.

Just get yourself some liability insurance. If the farmer wants a pro pest controller he'll have to pay it's as simple as that. If he wants the vermin controlled free get insured and do it free! ( I think you called me about this a while ago bud?) :hmm:

• Like 1

Aye join SACS and ask them for advice mate there insurance should cover you unless your getting paid to do it ,easy enough to register ur garage as a company if you want to go the full hog

The insurance isn't expensive, but once you register as a Ltd Company you will need to make yearly returns to company's house etc, have all the proper documentation available, and complete a tax return every year (even if you aren't getting paid for it!). There is a lot of hassle with Ltd company's, believe me!

• Like 1

If you set any business up ltd or not you have to do tax returns

Just get some insurance get some vista print cards

????????? Pest control and wildlife management

Give him a card and a copy of the insurance and an invoice see what happens

Or

Tell him it's your hobby and you don't charge

See what he goes for

Just get yourself some liability insurance. If the farmer wants a pro pest controller he'll have to pay it's as simple as that. If he wants the vermin controlled free get insured and do it free! ( I think you called me about this a while ago bud?) :hmm:

No mate this is the first enquiry. I am meeting with him next week. I'm hoping he is going for the insurance only and get up there and clear some rabbits.