Heideterrier

Not sure how many have heard of this dog created in Germany about 40years ago, specifically bred for hog hunting. Kinda reminds of the old Airedales before the show brigade ruined them, they are a cross between the JagdTerrier x EBT x Airedale Terrier. Maybe some of the Central European lads can tell us a little bit more about their experiences with them?

post-77712-0-51480600-1421760383_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

They range from 10-25 kg. Very allround dog. Boar hunting, tracking wounded deer, retrieving, bushing small game, man work.

Vocal, short ranging, gritty. They catch in packs.

Main reason for them existing is the jagds dropping below during driven boar hunts which is a pain. Sone jagd strains can be neurotic. So a bigger, robust and mentally sound find, bay and catch dog was designed.

• Like 2

Hunted allot whit those dogs allot better to handle than a jagd and they dont fit below ground , only problem is that only the first crosses work well afther than they get a bit soft

Duh,that's why you stick to patterdales.

They range from 10-25 kg. Very allround dog. Boar hunting, tracking wounded deer, retrieving, bushing small game, man work.

Vocal, short ranging, gritty. They catch in packs.

Main reason for them existing is the jagds dropping below during driven boar hunts which is a pain. Sone jagd strains can be neurotic. So a bigger, robust and mentally sound find, bay and catch dog was designed.

10-25kg???? That's a huge range, and a huge dog for a terrier.

Looks almost identical to mine however mine is only 9.5kg and short smooth coat.

I don't own one, have contemplated adding one to my pack for a while. Have seen them work/worked along side them.

Would they breed true ie 1st gen ,2nd gen ,3rd and so on rather than going back to original types.

They breed true to type, they are a line bred type/breed. Come in tan/red, black and tan and brindle. Not a fci recognised product, but who cares. A first cross is not a heideterrier, just a first cross. They have used some Irish terrier as an infusion several years to add to the small genepool. However there are also people crossing gwp to djt/gjt and calling them heideterriers, just like first crosses they aren't. The heideterrier is a line bred product.

Check heideterrier.com and the facebook page of them (just search for heideterrier on facebook).

Certainly UK en Eire have the best..... :huh: Just not was is needed when it comes to bushing boar in the Lüneburgerheide area. Brittish terriers like the Irish/Wheaton and Airedale are often mute, you like them like that. Heideterriers are bred to give tongue on scent.

This is very interestng. I'd never heard or read about this type before. I'm a little bit envious that people have access to game and land enough to be able to develop a new " breed " to perform a task that has been done since records began. What is it with boar hounds ? Our friends in USA and South America have developed " new " breeds. In Australia there seem to be fine dogs that are a mix of mostly European breeds that aren't really still regarded as hunting dogs in their country of origin. Why is there not such a thing as The Boar Hound ?