Shotgun For Rabbits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm guessing like me your at work and bored shitless lol

Well I wasn't trying to sway you from your initial intention as its more than a good idea and is a great way of hunting multiple species, there is no one tool for all just a tool that is more suited a

Credit to the pair of you for having the persistence to argue over something so f***ing trivial.   Shame on me for continuing to read this saga!

If you walk a rabbit up and it bolts, are you really telling me you can hit it with a rimfire Deker? C'mon. Most people struggle with a shotgun to hit a bolting rabbit dodging and weaving at speeds up to 30-35 mph, never mind a rifle. With a shotgun, more get missed than shot.

It's horses for courses. You can't use a rimfire against a bird unless it's grounded and for bolting rabbits a shotgun is definitely the tool to have. For sniping rabbits or grounded birds in flocks, when feeding, then yep rimfire or air rifle is a much better / stealthier tool and definitely a better choice if it's in your armoury. :thumbs:

Off you go again, lets simply ignore the questions in #24 and talk about something else! Obviously it was too difficult to back up your wild statements?

And shooting bolting rabbits with a rimfire? That it is nowhere near as hard as you appear to think! Don't judge everyone by your own standards!

You really need to stop reading so much and get a FAC, then at least you can talk from experience rather than what you read or heard down the pub.

If you walk a rabbit up and it bolts, are you really telling me you can hit it with a rimfire Deker? C'mon. Most people struggle with a shotgun to hit a bolting rabbit dodging and weaving at speeds up to 30-35 mph, never mind a rifle. With a shotgun, more get missed than shot.

It's horses for courses. You can't use a rimfire against a bird unless it's grounded and for bolting rabbits a shotgun is definitely the tool to have. For sniping rabbits or grounded birds in flocks, when feeding, then yep rimfire or air rifle is a much better / stealthier tool and definitely a better choice if it's in your armoury. :thumbs:

Off you go again, lets simply ignore the questions in #24 and talk about something else! Obviously it was too difficult to back up your wild statements?

And shooting bolting rabbits with a rimfire? That it is nowhere near as hard as you appear to think! Don't judge everyone by your own standards!

You really need to stop reading so much and get a FAC, then at least you can talk from experience rather than what you read or heard down the pub.

Deker I'm really not the one who's picking out threads and going off on rants here. You say I'm simply ignoring your questions in post #24 and therefore I'm wrong about the origins or design uses of a shotgun so I'll indulge you and answer them, from post #24:

and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds. :hmm:

Were they? You mean like the horse was designed for moving people, then we found other ways, but some still use a horse!

The smooth bore weapon started off as the blunderbuss in the 17th century where it served the purpose of providing a close quarter weapon for stage coach driver / footmen against highway robbers.

Out of this in the 19th century the muzzle loading shotgun started to appear as a military weapon for close quarters, remembering that smooth bore rifles only had limited range and swords were still well used weapons. Couple that with long muzzle reload times and this meant armies often got up close and personal with charges where swords were drawn with the aim of cutting down the enemy. In this context the shotgun became a useful defensive weapon. In the late 19th Century, John Moses Browning designed the 1st cartridge firing shotgun with a repeating action designed for military use.

Out of this the modern shotgun for sporting purposes as we know it was developed and it's design split away from the large bore guns used by the early military around the time when rifled weapons became commonplace and armies no longer fought in close quarter combat as the shotgun's worth as a gun for shooting fast moving game and game birds was recognised and the modern design was adapted specifically for this purpose. (Some modern armies such as the US re-adopted the modern shotgun for close quarter combat in urban warfare such as found in the Vietnam war).

Taken from the SAC's Web site: http://www.sacs.org.uk/folder-12-shotguns

Shotguns were developed specially for shooting at moving targets, and traditionally, ‘side-by-side’ guns were and still are most favoured for shooting game.

There's no doubt that rimfire is cleaner but a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire! You need them sitting still / near still. That why most farmers have shotguns.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: What makes a shotgun ideal for rabbits, :hmm: (when you consider the large majority are shot with air rifles and rimfires), who can't hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire and that's why most farmers have a shotgun hey, come on Alsone!!??

Deker, I have no doubt from what you've said in the past that you are an excellent shot, but you're not seriously going to suggest that a rimfire is suitable or ideal for use against bolting rabbits (maybe the issue here is the definition of bolting). A rabbit hopping slowly away, yes I can see you taking that where it's at a regular pace in a regular line to a hole, but a rabbit in a full on high speed weaving bolt? As I said above, most people find them hard to hit with a shotgun.

I don't think anybody in the wider shooting community or any of the Shooting Organisations would recommend a rimfire for use against bolting rabbits. The fact is Joe Average will never hit a full on bolting rabbit with a rifle.

A rifle is ideal for sniping feeding rabbits. A shotgun is much better adapted to walked up bolting rabbits or for use against game which can't be taken with a rifle such as birds in trees or in flight. So as an all round gun, a shotgun is a better choice. As a tool for rabbit control where rabbits are sitting feeding a moderated rifle is better. It's horses for courses, all round use and bolting rabbits vs grounded birds and still or near still rabbits only.

In any case, the op asked about a shotgun for rabbits and to that end a 12G is ideal unless of course you want a little less kick in which case a 20G is also a fine choice.

Edited by Alsone

Deker I'm really not the one who's picking out threads and going off on rants here. You say I'm simply ignoring your questions in post #24 and therefore I'm wrong about the origins or design uses of a shotgun so I'll indulge you and answer them, from post #24:

Were they? You mean like the horse was designed for moving people, then we found other ways, but some still use a horse!

The smooth bore weapon started off as the blunderbuss in the 17th century where it served the purpose of providing a close quarter weapon for stage coach driver / footmen against highway robbers.

Out of this in the 19th century the muzzle loading shotgun started to appear as a military weapon for close quarters, remembering that smooth bore rifles only had limited range and swords were still well used weapons. Couple that with long muzzle reload times and this meant armies often got up close and personal with charges where swords were drawn with the aim of cutting down the enemy. In this context the shotgun became a useful defensive weapon. In the late 19th Century, John Moses Browning designed the 1st cartridge firing shotgun with a repeating action designed for military use.

Out of this the modern shotgun for sporting purposes as we know it was developed and it's design split away from the large bore guns used by the early military around the time when rifled weapons became commonplace and armies no longer fought in close quarter combat as the shotgun's worth as a gun for shooting fast moving game and game birds was recognised and the modern design was adapted specifically for this purpose. (Some modern armies such as the US re-adopted the modern shotgun for close quarter combat in urban warfare such as found in the Vietnam war).

Shotguns were developed specially for shooting at moving targets, and traditionally, ‘side-by-side’ guns were and still are most favoured for shooting game.

There's no doubt that rimfire is cleaner but a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire! You need them sitting still / near still. That why most farmers have shotguns.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: What makes a shotgun ideal for rabbits, :hmm: (when you consider the large majority are shot with air rifles and rimfires), who can't hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire and that's why most farmers have a shotgun hey, come on Alsone!!??

Deker, I have no doubt from what you've said in the past that you are an excellent shot, but you're not seriously going to suggest that a rimfire is suitable or ideal for use against bolting rabbits (maybe the issue here is the definition of bolting). A rabbit hopping slowly away, yes I can see you taking that where it's at a regular pace in a regular line to a hole, but a rabbit in a full on high speed weaving bolt? As I said above, most people find them hard to hit with a shotgun.

I don't think anybody in the wider shooting community or any of the Shooting Organisations would recommend a rimfire for use against bolting rabbits. The fact is Joe Average will never hit a full on bolting rabbit with a rifle.

A rifle is ideal for sniping feeding rabbits. A shotgun is much better adapted to walked up bolting rabbits or for use against game which can't be taken with a rifle such as birds in trees or in flight. So as an all round gun, a shotgun is a better choice. As a tool for rabbit control where rabbits are sitting feeding a moderated rifle is better. It's horses for courses, all round use and bolting rabbits vs grounded birds and still or near still rabbits only.

In any case, the op asked about a shotgun for rabbits and to that end a 12G is ideal unless of course you want a little less kick in which case a 20G is also a fine choice.

As usual you read too much, but none of that says the shotgun was designed for rabbits, it was designed long before it became evident that it may have a use for shooting moving field quarry. So, you have just confirmed the inaccuracy of your initial statement.............."and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds"....

now apparently you suggest .........

So having said "....shotguns were designed for rabbits...." you now kindly post that lot to show they were not!

I am questioning your statement that "a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire!.........That why most farmers have shotguns." That statement is fundamentally flawed, and even if it may be a little easier to hit a moving target with a shotgun, how on earth does that make it "ideal for rabbits" when FAR more rabbits are shot with air rifles and rimfires than shotguns, and "that why most farmers have shotguns?" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Nothing is perfect for hitting bolting rabbits (even you suggest more miss than hit with a shotgun) , a shotgun is commonly used by farmers because of its versatility, they don't buy a shotgun to shoot bolting rabbits, on the whole anyone who has to use it for this purpose has failed.

Nobody walks into a RFD and says "I want a shotgun for rabbits because it was designed for them and is the ideal tool and I'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire"

You keep demonstrating your experience of real life shooting is non existant/incredibly limited, why do you have to keep making ill informed/misinterpreted/badly worded statements you read somewhere. I don't keep charging onto "knitting forums" and spouting out advice to all and sundry because I watched someone knit a scarf once, or I read or heard something, so what makes you feel qualified to do the same here?!

Lets look at this one, you say... "I have no doubt from what you've said in the past that you are an excellent shot, but you're not seriously going to suggest that a rimfire is suitable or ideal for use against bolting rabbits," Where did I say it was, you said "you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire!" I inferred it was nowhere near as hard as you seem to imagine, and it isn't, something you would know if you had some experience.

Your misinterpretation/lack of understand of the English language, and transposition of the likes of designed and developed is appalling, they are not the same, as I have said before, you come at this with allegedly a legal background, you would not last 5 minutes in court with your inaccuracies!

If you ever get a FAC and get out in the real world you may realise that much of what you read/regurgitate is inaccurate, or you simply interpret it incorrectly.

The OP shotgun/rabbit question has been answered long since!

Edited by Deker

As usual you read too much, but none of that says the shotgun was designed for rabbits, it was designed long before it became evident that it may have a use for shooting moving field quarry. So, you have just confirmed the inaccuracy of your initial statement.............."and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds"....

now apparently you suggest .........

So having said "....shotguns were designed for rabbits...." you now kindly post that lot to show they were not!

I am questioning your statement that "a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire!.........That why most farmers have shotguns." That statement is fundamentally flawed, and even if it may be a little easier to hit a moving target with a shotgun, how on earth does that make it "ideal for rabbits" when FAR more rabbits are shot with air rifles and rimfires than shotguns, and "that why most farmers have shotguns?" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Nothing is perfect for hitting bolting rabbits (even you suggest more miss than hit with a shotgun) , a shotgun is commonly used by farmers because of its versatility, they don't buy a shotgun to shoot bolting rabbits, on the whole anyone who has to use it for this purpose has failed.

Nobody walks into a RFD and says "I want a shotgun for rabbits because it was designed for them and is the ideal tool and I'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire"

You keep demonstrating your experience of real life shooting is non existant/incredibly limited, why do you have to keep making ill informed/misinterpreted/badly worded statements you read somewhere. I don't keep charging onto "knitting forums" and spouting out advice to all and sundry because I watched someone knit a scarf once, or I read or heard something, so what makes you feel qualified to do the same here?!

Lets look at this one, you say... "I have no doubt from what you've said in the past that you are an excellent shot, but you're not seriously going to suggest that a rimfire is suitable or ideal for use against bolting rabbits," Where did I say it was, you said "you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire!" I inferred it was nowhere near as hard as you seem to imagine, and it isn't, something you would know if you had some experience.

Your misinterpretation/lack of understand of the English language, and transposition of the likes of designed and developed is appalling, they are not the same, as I have said before, you come at this with allegedly a legal background, you would not last 5 minutes in court with your inaccuracies!

If you ever get a FAC and get out in the real world you may realise that much of what you read/regurgitate is inaccurate, or you simply interpret it incorrectly.

The OP shotgun/rabbit question has been answered long since

lol now now ladies :laugh:

Credit to the pair of you for having the persistence to argue over something so f***ing trivial. :D

Shame on me for continuing to read this saga! :icon_redface:

I'm guessing like me your at work and bored shitless lol

:yes::laugh: I'm trying to master a very temperamental piece of acoustics processing software............ zzzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How can you possibly be bored Dan? LOL

Get the 25 out and drive round making crows explode! LOL. I refuse to believe that that ever gets old.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Mate I promise not getting a day off since July gets old real quick, now with the end in sight I've had a guts full anyway would you believe I'm walking hedges in shooting cock birds with the 28 and a brace of spanals and hating it lol roll on 5 o clock

Mate I promise not getting a day off since July gets old real quick, now with the end in sight I've had a guts full anyway would you believe I'm walking hedges in shooting cock birds with the 28 and a brace of spanals and hating it lol roll on 5 o clock

Haha! Anything grows old with excess I suppose.

You're a rotten b*****d... I live for kicking hedges on a Saturday morning! Looking forward to Monday mate.

• Like 1

Should be good last 2 walk ups I've done for the boss 122 shot on the first then 87 on the second but only we only did half the day got 3 beaters days to put on next week Monday and Saturday walked up and Wednesday driven can't wait till next Sunday lol

• Like 1