Beddy Whippet Retrieve Training

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be general move to have the finished article by 6 months of age as if you don't get a pup trained as soon as possible it's going to grow up to be unruly and wild,   Years ago I was t

as NL said try to do this somewhere the pup cannot get past you or the game may start to consist of the you chasing the pup around. either way you have to get the pup to want to come back to you. mine

4 or 5 not to much but every day

Posted Images

Iv got a beddy/whippet pup on at the minute aswell she isnt keen on sit and stay but her retrieve is pretty good , i do about 4-5 short retrieves at around 20ft then 1 longer one at around 35ft and she is taking to it well , im using a piece of rolled up carpet with an old fluffy toy skin wrapped around it for now until she is 100% then will up the size to accomodate a rabbit pelt and continue with that ... This is my first lurcher and it is hard work but little and often i was told so im just sticking to what im doing and see were it takes me ... Also my pup is a nightmare in the house but ok out on walks

Matt

Hi mate, yeah my little fella will sit and stay really well, just the last couple of times I've took him out for a bit if retrieve training he just runs anywhere but where I am, his retrieve was pretty good, I'm going to start back in my hall way and shut all the doors so can't run off de how get on. Good to know you have got a nutter to lol

Good luck

There seems to be general move to have the finished article by 6 months of age as if you don't get a pup trained as soon as possible it's going to grow up to be unruly and wild,

Years ago I was told let a pup be a pup and what that really means is don't constantly stimulate him under the guise of training or similar activities,the younger you instill a fault or habit maybe not your fault the harder it is to counteract on it if it f**ks up

Constant attention or fussing can actually work in opposite to what's expected from a pup, a little attention is fine like a piece of chocolate cake is but if your given a whole friggin cake to eat by the last piece it will feel positively toxic

Pups bond through motion, just the two of you's out walking in secluded areas , no pressure, no stimulation .

• Like 4

Its a relative term, there is a huge rush to train pups in today's climate, all I'm saying is a lot of it is counter productive and we are instigating commands expecting the pup to follow suit at a stage where the pup is programmed to form social bonds where negetive interaction registers much higher than we think it does,

I agree , i wouldnt have thaught that a pup of 6 months could jump fences and 5 bar gates without causing damage to itself ... Small jumps maybe but i wont be trying any big stuff that could damage my pup at 6months , (jumping as an example)

Why the rush ? Cant understand it myself as surely by over expecting from a pup could lead to dissapointment

Matt

cant understand the big deal of the fetching game i start as pups and keep them going until i enter them into game then give them odd fetch to keep them sharp , , fetching is heredity from parents but can be trained into them ,got dogs its bred into them easy as hell to train others it has to be drumme d in but its never going be pretty at times diffrent way bred ,

alot of people buy running dogs that parents have no retreiving instincs in them its aharder job to train them saw alot of small terrier cross whippets rattle the ribs out of rabbits etc hate seeing dogs do that i like a dog that catches her prey and runs back a real hunting dog, to her master or a dog that sits in front passenger seat when your roadsidin let dog out bang rabbits caught jumps into car with game a handy tool for in and out hunting , saw dogs when it was legal we used to drve over stubble dogs out hares up a quick chase dogs back in with hare and on to the next a right good fetching dog, got a bitch who will stillfetch any game over rivers fences , a good dog ,

what darcy says its about right , but real good fetching is mostly in them or bred in them ,got three or four saluks one fetches from day one his pups the same other saluk crosses sticky as its not there main goal theyll sicken faster , little and often , maybe three fetches a day 3 times a week in acorridor he cant pass you get staight retreives no messing and keep him at it

there was nothing better than seeing your dog course her hare or rabbit and fetch it back over two feilds to were you are , and your mates are like good dog , h j k c as they used to say

• 2 weeks later...

Like i said, i would forget any retrieves, concentrate on a perfect recall. Let him have a favourite teddy or rubber toy or tennis ball....... let him get obsessed with it... but do not do any retrieving at all......Once you have the pup there then drop me a pm..... :thumbs:

Once they conditioned to it, then they do it for life. They know no other way. They're coming back, so they may as well carry what they caught......just my take on things.....

Id love to have a dog carry what it catches :whistling: .

Once they conditioned to it, then they do it for life. They know no other way. They're coming back, so they may as well carry what they caught......just my take on things.....

You know what I mean...they can't carry everything they catch. but me and my dog have a deal. If he catches and can't carry , then I will. Seems to suit us just fine..... :victory: :victory:

You know what I mean...they can't carry everything they catch. but me and my dog have a deal. If he catches and can't carry , then I will. Seems to suit us just fine..... :victory: :victory:

I know what you know that i may know the meaning of,if they cannot carry it,they should,nt bloody catch it :hmm:.