Knowing When The Time Is Right?

Got an old dog here ( not a runner) that has really slowed last 5 months or so, 9 year old this year and a big heavy dog. She has been all over the country with me and can't really fault her loyalty. My point is this is the first old dog I have had of my own, lost plenty as a kid but never my own dog as such. She is down to one walk a day as she clearly ain't keen to go out in the mornings anymore. Tough things is this dog is tough as old boots had a few serious injuries etc in the past and never whined moaned or anything so knowing when she is in pain is a tough call. Had her to he vets and she has arthritis not a lot that can e done just wear and tear. The joy I get from dogs is all about getting them out and seeing them do what they enjoy, but I feel loyal to this dog as se has seen me through plenty of tough times. The kids love her to bits and she basically sleeps and eats, just think it's going to be particularly rough call when she has had enough with this dog. Anyone else had similar types atb

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well as long as it eating, and goes for a piss+ shit no prob , just let her carry on . if she wasn't doing what I said and in pain if you touched her anywhere, then maybe a one way trip to vet . I

fair enough mate, each to his own . Do you keep the dogs as hobby =sport, or earn a living of them sell what they catch .? I know few lads use there dogs for a living, I never have I worked at lo

Like said before, each to their own but if a dog gave me its life and trusted me with it, to betray it when it has no use? Im to weak for that

well as long as it eating, and goes for a piss+ shit no prob , just let her carry on . if she wasn't doing what I said and in pain if you touched her anywhere, then maybe a one way trip to vet . I had a bitch lurcher 14 years until she died (heart attack ) , when she got to about 11 she decided how much walk she wanted, that's ok we all going to get old one day lol , I am 3/4 of the way there now . :laugh:

• Like 7

In truth gafer she isn't far off that to be honest, she won't get out of bed in the morning (obviously I could force her out) when she does finally surface she alls like john Wayne and is clearly very stiff whether she is in pain? Only she knows really, Will carry as we are and let her do as much as she likes really. Just tough to watch them get old seemingly so quick cheers

I had a Russell this.dog would.work any thing large or small from a small pup he went everywhere with me work the lot was brought up in a scaffold lorry he got stollen once and was missing for 3 months only to be found on a traveler camp by a traveling man I used to dig with the dog reached 15 and I had to have him pts mate I don't mind telling all I cried like a baby

• Like 3

If it's arthritis Metacam might help. I had an old dog that started going the way you describe when he got to be about 11. Vet prescribed Metacam and it made a massive difference to his mobility. He then had about 18 months or so when he was like a spring chicken and frolicking around with the younger dogs. Then suddenly the Metacam stopped working, he went downhill very rapidly and it was obvious when the time came that the kindest thing was to have him pts.

Got an old dog here ( not a runner) that has really slowed last 5 months or so, 9 year old this year and a big heavy dog. She has been all over the country with me and can't really fault her loyalty. My point is this is the first old dog I have had of my own, lost plenty as a kid but never my own dog as such. She is down to one walk a day as she clearly ain't keen to go out in the mornings anymore. Tough things is this dog is tough as old boots had a few serious injuries etc in the past and never whined moaned or anything so knowing when she is in pain is a tough call. Had her to he vets and she has arthritis not a lot that can e done just wear and tear. The joy I get from dogs is all about getting them out and seeing them do what they enjoy, but I feel loyal to this dog as se has seen me through plenty of tough times. The kids love her to bits and she basically sleeps and eats, just think it's going to be particularly rough call when she has had enough with this dog. Anyone else had similar types atb

Its an hard call,i would,nt take up kennel space for a dog that no longer earns its gruel,if im to be honest,ive a retired Beddy in the house that gave her all for 9 seasons,the next to retire won,t have that luxury.The facts of life are that they are dogs,if we kept every dog we retired through age or injury?.My life revolves around dogs and giving them the best i can,reality rips my heart out at times.

• Like 1

Its an hard call,i would,nt take up kennel space for a dog that no longer earns its gruel,if im to be honest,ive a retired Beddy in the house that gave her all for 9 seasons,the next to retire won,t have that luxury.The facts of life are that they are dogs,if we kept every dog we retired through age or injury?.My life revolves around dogs and giving them the best i can,reality rips my heart out at times.

fair enough mate, each to his own . Do you keep the dogs as hobby =sport, or earn a living of them sell what they catch .? I know few lads use there dogs for a living, I never have I worked at local brewery for 30years so had money every week. I only try to keep 2-3 dogs at any time, ive never thought it was hard kennelling a old dog , had old bitch 14 years didn't eat much or exercise to be honest you never knew she was there 1/2 the time lol

• Like 4

its tough mate,i think you will know when its time,it hard pts a working dog that served you well,been out at night together,wind,rain,ice,side be side,doing what they love.its not fair to keep em to long if thhey struggling.all the best

got an old russell dog here at the minute 10 year old honest grafter in his day same as you say bird you wouldnt know he was there exept when its feeding time or im going lamping with the lurchers or digging with the younger terriers there he is jumping up and down like a pup at the bars of his kennel dont even want to think about when his time comes as he owes me nothing and has been a pleasure to own :thumbs:

The dog in question has never been a working dog as such she was used as a house guard when I was in the forces and away from the house/ mrs a lot. Can't fault her at guarding and she still will guard, problem being by the time she would have gotten out of her bed any robbers would have loaded the van and been half way down the m6. Sure she will be with us for a while yet as she is a tough cookie no question about that. Just always a concern when they are tough whether they are in pain if that makes sense. Had other dogs that would limp with a feather stuck to there leg atb

fair enough mate, each to his own . Do you keep the dogs as hobby =sport, or earn a living of them sell what they catch .? I know few lads use there dogs for a living, I never have I worked at local brewery for 30years so had money every week. I only try to keep 2-3 dogs at any time, ive never thought it was hard kennelling a old dog , had old bitch 14 years didn't eat much or exercise to be honest you never knew she was there 1/2 the time lol

I once spent time with a lad that owned an allotment,he opened the sheds in a morning to let his mutts out,3 of which were retired,he spent more time looking after them than putting the effort into the dogs that hunted,i had the deepest respect for his fortitude and commitment,yet learnt id never have the same resolve.Ive often thought he was a better man than me,yet i had better working dogs?.

If they work hard for you in my opinion you should work hard for them feck kennel space it gave its all so should you I read somewhere work em hard treat em like hero's just my opinion

Don,t be so naive,at times the best of dog men and women know whats best for them and their charges,sentiment gets in the way of reality.Its harder to be hard than naive.