Keen To Gain More Experience!

Ive thought I start a post and see if anyone would be willing to let me tag along and get stuck in! Ive done a small amount last season on a bit of permission one thick hedgerow. I'm always looking for permission round my way but its a right struggle. I have three jills I work and lurcher all keen still a bit green like myself just need more experience. Im in Surrey anyone willing be much appreciated and advise also!

Keep persevering with gaining perms mate took me 2 years when I moved here now I'm picking them up a bit easier. Pen yourself a decent grant of permission letter there are examples on here, have permission slips ready, and when you pop in to see land owners be presentable. Although the rest of the time they see you you'll be camed up and covered in mud that's not the first impression you want to give. Good luck mate. As for coming out and gaining experience with someone I'm a total newb myself but if you're ever down this way you're welcome to tag along. Together we might have half an idea

try thinking out of the box , stables , allotments , large gardens put ads up in auction marts , feed wholesalers , like nobby said be presentable, and polite even if they say NO , if you were nearer id take you on mine but its a bit of a trek, just keep trying

• Like 2

Completely agree with the above comment re staying polite (and having well behaved dogs). I gained my permission by asking two men with shotguns who had the sporting rights as I was interested in helping out with a bit of ferreting. One of them told me the farms were owned by the local pheasant shoot so, presuming they'd have any pest control already covered, I said thanks anyway and went on my way with my kelpie trotting along obediently by my side. I was then called back by one of them who turned out to be the tenant farmer who immediately gave me some permission thanks to my politeness and well behaved dog.

• Like 2

Cheers lads; Ive sent alot of Emails to stables and golf courses in the Surrey area also put cards up in two hourse tack farm shops! Permission slips printed if get lucky! And nocked a fair few doors but still keen wont stop and hope a some point il get a decent bit of permission!!!

• Like 2

I tried and tried to gain permission and always got a no.i then started beating and got talking to different people and farmers built relationships with the farmers and told them I do a bit of ferreting. Now I have farmers contacting me asking me to get out on there land

Gee feel sorry for you guys struggling to gain some ferreting permission. In my part of the world it is very rare to get told "no". There are a few ferreters about but there is also no real landholder loyalty to anyone who ferrets on their property. Landholders will likely let another person ferret there after you. This makes little difference as there is more than enough other places to go than I have time for. Saying that there aren't, rabbits everywhere or massive numbers. All the best finding a start.