How To Train A Lurcher To Work With A Longnet?

How do you go about this? And will they hunt up after you have taught it to work in the dark?

a lab be just as easy to train, and prob calmer with stuff running up to net. never done it my self, but did speak to a old type poacher once at a lurcher show , and he used gun dog for long netting and his lurcher for few rabbits in the lamp .

iv always loved the thought of some old type poacher years gone by setting a net on a windy night then sending dog off to quarter field to bring rabbits in,teaching a dog to quarter wouldn't be to hard a task im guessing but to send it off on its own to then work back to you something id like to see

I tried it with my Lurcher, needless to say it was get rid of the dog or sell the nets, i sold the nets, i just wasnt up to it if iam honest, I think i could do it with a Border Collie or a very collie saturated Lurcher though, i,v enough on getting Hedgehogs out the nets never mind a dog, just thought i,d add my mate got a Pig caught in his net one night, i,d have payed good money to see that :laugh: .

• Like 5

I tried it with my Lurcher, needless to say it was get rid of the dog or sell the nets, i sold the nets, i just wasnt up to it if iam honest, I think i could do it with a Border Collie or a very collie saturated Lurcher though, i,v enough on getting Hedgehogs out the nets never mind a dog, just thought i,d add my mate got a Pig caught in his net one night, i,d have payed good money to see that :laugh: .

:laugh:

A lurcher is not the best tool for working

How do you go about this? And will they hunt up after you have taught it to work in the dark?

A lurcher is not the best tool for working long nets,something slower and steadier is all thats needed,it needs the ability to cover the ground and push the bunnys towards the net,not the ability to chase and catch,a lurcher that could work them was a prized asset though.Ive tried a few times to teach a lurcher the art of long netting,i retired defeated.

• Like 1

One of perks of long netting just you and a net nice and simple and relatively stress free. No need to complicate things really

Being a solo netter i once decided to take my Whippet X Bedlington with me, I tied her and run out 100 yarder, i then took her up the side on the leash, got to the top of the field and let her go.

I heard a rabbit squeal as it hit the webs , good i thought, but no sign of the Dug, i bantered the field, and reached the net, there was about four in it, then i came across a bundle, at first being a bit stupid i thought it was a fox, but it was the Dug, neatly wrapped up, and not struggling, waiting for me to free her.

that was her first and last night longnetting session. :laugh::laugh::whistling:

• Like 6

A bitch belonging my son chased a rabbit, full speed into a 4z longnet last winter. She burst right through the net, losing the rabbit in the process. Funny thing was, the hole she made was only about 6 inches square and the bitch is a 25 inch threequarter grey/collie

Edited by Maximus Ferret

A lurcher is not the best tool for working

A lurcher is not the best tool for working long nets,something slower and steadier is all thats needed,it needs the ability to cover the ground and push the bunnys towards the net,not the ability to chase and catch,a lurcher that could work them was a prized asset though.Ive tried a few times to teach a lurcher the art of long netting,i retired defeated.

another old trick I was told, was 3 blokes span the field , each had( box of matches) in there hands , then start walking to the net shaking the hands . as said the old fella only took his lab with him, just move any other rabbit on or if any got out the net the dog was there to pick them up.