Electric Dog Training Collars.

I agree like anything they can be abused.

But with a bit of knowledge they can be a valuable piece of kit.

I have used them for all sorts and wouldn't be without mine it has saved me hours upon hours of time you can call me lazy if you like but my time is extremely valuable to me with working full time and having a young family and what would take weeks in the field can be achieved a lot quicker.

I'll give you an example of how they are supposed to be used the idea isn't to zap the brains out of your dog but to start on the lowest setting possible and work up untill you see a very ,very slight reaction in the dog this is the level it is to be used at.

I used my collar to great effect when retrieve training the young bitch I have here at the minute. Her retrieving was spot on with balls, dead game etc but when I started running her she would f**k about with her catch emptying the field in the process. First night with the collar and shes straight back with her catch everytime.

There's loads of videos on YouTube of how they can be used. Here's a handy one below:

Tom Dokken - Come/Here Command - www.sportdog.com:

Them dogs look like they're really stressed :)

Thats were i have a problem,"they have saved you hours and hours of time",if saving time on a dogs education is better served by zapping it into education then id not own dogs,id rather take the longer route,the old school pathway into dog training,hours and hours of patience instilled into the mutts education process,lessons that may test the dog and owner,lessons that the owner best learns from failure and not electricity.Some dogs are better suited to shock,many owners find it suitable to cover their inadequate training ability by resorting to zap and obey,before lets learn the fundamentals of obeyance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try it round your neck ,if its not too bad then carry on but if you wince then maybe think about the issues and not any torture methods .For a mate my arse .These collars are for lazy twats not fit to

Foxdropper the dog was out with sheep since it was jabbed..   It had a perfect recall and would not have been to shabby at field trials..   At 2 and half it just went rogue for them.   It jus

lol to use your argument , so the next time you drop your dog in and break through, stick your face in let whatever's in there grab your face then if it's not to bad carry on lol. Theres always a rig

I agree like anything they can be abused.

But with a bit of knowledge they can be a valuable piece of kit.

I have used them for all sorts and wouldn't be without mine it has saved me hours upon hours of time you can call me lazy if you like but my time is extremely valuable to me with working full time and having a young family and what would take weeks in the field can be achieved a lot quicker.

I'll give you an example of how they are supposed to be used the idea isn't to zap the brains out of your dog but to start on the lowest setting possible and work up untill you see a very ,very slight reaction in the dog this is the level it is to be used at.

I used my collar to great effect when retrieve training the young bitch I have here at the minute. Her retrieving was spot on with balls, dead game etc but when I started running her she would f**k about with her catch emptying the field in the process. First night with the collar and shes straight back with her catch everytime.

There's loads of videos on YouTube of how they can be used. Here's a handy one below:

Tom Dokken - Come/Here Command - www.sportdog.com:

Them dogs look like they're really stressed :)

Thats were i have a problem,"they have saved you hours and hours of time",if saving time on a dogs education is better served by zapping it into education then id not own dogs,id rather take the longer route,the old school pathway into dog training,hours and hours of patience instilled into the mutts education process,lessons that may test the dog and owner,lessons that the owner best learns from failure and not electricity.Some dogs are better suited to shock,many owners find it suitable to cover their inadequate training ability by resorting to zap and obey,before lets learn the fundamentals of obeyance.

If you'd rather "take the longer route" crack on ;) like I said I value my time and would sooner be out watching my dog work than wasting a load of time and frustrating myself and the dog doing something that could be done over a couple of hours.

Just out of interest how would you overcome the problem I mentioned in my other post?

Just to add I don't think the term "zapping" is the correct term, the dog can barely feel the collar when used correctly.

Well we run 30 hounds every week, a few of them need collars, & there is know one shocking the sh1t out of there dogs, a very light shock does the job just fine. it's very easy to sit there & say to train you're dog right but when a hound is half a mile or further away they can choose not to listen, then the collar comes in very handy. we'd be all day & night after dogs if we hadn't collars. so if you have a problem with using them, then don't, but don,t diss lad's that do.

Try it round your neck ,if its not too bad then carry on but if you wince then maybe think about the issues and not any torture methods .For a mate my arse .These collars are for lazy twats not fit to own a gerbil .Go on mate try one.

been hugging much trees lately ?

I.At times these collars,in the right hands,save a dog that otherwise would become a cull,.

well i did try to ask an honest question without it becoming a debate on the ethics of electric collars. but i have to agree with the above statement .

this collar is NOT for me and the dog in question will be pts if the problem is not sorted.

thanks to those who replied with info and to those who disagree with the use of these collars thanks for your input also

atb

Edited by whipbed

Try it round your neck ,if its not too bad then carry on but if you wince then maybe think about the issues and not any torture methods .For a mate my arse .These collars are for lazy twats not fit to own a gerbil .Go on mate try one.

lol to use your argument , so the next time you drop your dog in and break through, stick your face in let whatever's in there grab your face then if it's not to bad carry on lol. Theres always a right and wrong way so let's not be hypocrites eh ?.
  • Like 4

If you'd rather "take the longer route" crack on ;) like I said I value my time and would sooner be out watching my dog work than wasting a load of time and frustrating myself and the dog doing something that could be done over a couple of hours.

Just out of interest how would you overcome the problem I mentioned in my other post?

Just to add I don't think the term "zapping" is the correct term, the dog can barely feel the collar when used correctly.

if a dog chases sheep the best thing is a full grown hand reared ram they fear nothing and all dogs are natural cowards have done this and the dog couldn't look at a sheep after

What a load of bollicks, you been on the booze FD you usually make a lot of sense. Lol

Yeah, first time I can remember disagreeing with him too

I did one on my neck for a giggle. Wasn't funny though...

Didn't hurt my neck at all but my hip spasmed out and not feels almost bruised!!!

Ive been around dogs all my life so what i write is not based on hearsay or what ive heard .Ive trained gun dogs ,lurchers ,hounds and terriers and never come across anything that needed other than conventional methods .If your dog is chasing sheep you havnt stock broke it early enough neither have you instilled any recall .Dress it up all you like but im afraid i know different .The lad that tried the collar fair play ,he now has a different perspective on it .I repeat to all you collar addicts ,try it and see what you think .I once saw a well known gun dog breeder reduced to tears on a mild setting so have a go .

It seems to be the way of the world these days for a quick fix. Tell me what happens when your dog riots out of range or you think its cured . Far better to instill obedience at the correct age than to try to correct your own short comings later on .

• Like 1

Ive been around dogs all my life so what i write is not based on hearsay or what ive heard .Ive trained gun dogs ,lurchers ,hounds and terriers and never come across anything that needed other than conventional methods .If your dog is chasing sheep you havnt stock broke it early enough neither have you instilled any recall .Dress it up all you like but im afraid i know different .The lad that tried the collar fair play ,he now has a different perspective on it .I repeat to all you collar addicts ,try it and see what you think .I once saw a well known gun dog breeder reduced to tears on a mild setting so have a go .

It seems to be the way of the world these days for a quick fix. Tell me what happens when your dog riots out of range or you think its cured . Far better to instill obedience at the correct age than to try to correct your own short comings later on .

there a. Great bit of kit if used correctly there's nothing worse than a lurcher rioting on stock I've seen the best dogs go wrong on sheep on open mountains when the bloods up the dog as is Own mind and when your half a mile away you just got to hope you trust your dog 100/

Well we run 30 hounds every week, a few of them need collars, & there is know one shocking the sh1t out of there dogs, a very light shock does the job just fine. it's very easy to sit there & say to train you're dog right but when a hound is half a mile or further away they can choose not to listen, then the collar comes in very handy. we'd be all day & night after dogs if we hadn't collars. so if you have a problem with using them, then don't, but don,t diss lad's that do.

How come dozens of huntsmen ,if not 100s, don't use them.

Just my opinion but if someone is bringing hounds out into country that need e-collars on them then they should not be out in the first place.

The huntsmen that is.

You say you can use them from half a mile if the hound is doing something wrong ?

What if that hound's behind a hedge or in covert killing a sheep etc. etc.

How do you know if the hounds wrong or rioting ?

Do you leave it or take a chance and press the button ?

Your advice is some of the worst I've ever heard regarding hounds and it's a pity there's people like that in the countryside giving hunting a bad name.

Regarding using them on terriers ?

For proper work (digging) a terrier must be reared from birth thinking it is the bravest, hardiest animal on earth.

A terriers true job is tough and he must have courage and heart. Anything that is used in a terriers up bringing that breaks their spirit IMO is counter productive to that terriers future as a worker. Whether that's beating him or using an electric collar every time he's done something wrong.

A terrier, any terrier, can be reared and trained to be obedient, stock proof etc. without in any way breaking his spirit.

I'm with Fox Dropper on this one (even if he does seem to enjoy electrocuting people he knows ,LOL.).

i can understand the comments slating the use of these collars some putting it down to poor training from the start etc but i have seen them put to good use when lad have taken on so called unruly dog,from yes probably shite owner in the first place, and so rectifying their behaviour with near immediate effect and certainly not by zapping the shite out of it either.

i think they may well have their place but certainly not for the lazy half assed owner who wants to take short cuts

• Like 1