Patterdale For Ferreting ??

Jono_g

Posted this in the ferreting section,so if this isn't allowed please remove and sorry.

Evening all,I'm looking at getting a pup for ferreting (for marking and pinning while netted),I've been offered a pat pip from a friend of mine and just wanted some opinions on weather or not I should take him. I've worked dogs before but only in South Africa for bush pig so I'm abit clueless when it comes to breeds etc.

I've been told that a pat will go to ground and that's not something I'm really looking for,his job would be marking buries and holding rabbits I can't get to quick enough. Is this too much to ask from this breed? Or is it all down to upbringing? He'll be 8 weeks on on the 20th of December.

Thank you in advance

ATB

Jono

• Like 1

I'm sure if you start him on ferreting and bring him on he'll do what you want of him, however if you've not yet got yourself this dog ,then why not get something more suitable to the job of ferreting. Marking a warren is a major play with ferreting. It can save hours of work in a day out. Then speed required maybe something that can catch a rabbit that's loosed itself from a net, then something that might retrieve a netted bunnie from the depths of a four metre wide hedge to save you the thorns, the list of ideal crosses may be daunting, you might get all of the above from a patterdale , But I'd suggest something with a few of the above attributes bred into it. A Patterdale would wipe the floor with 99% of ferreting dogs if used for what they're bred for. .......atb Joe.

Thanks for the reply mate,I've not got the dog yet and hear what you are saying, I'll have a good think and see what happens.

Cheers again.

Iam not into ferreting myself but have done some in the past I am sure a pat could potentially do the job, but would IMO be much harder to train correctly than a small lurcher or whippet both of which tend to have steadier nature for ferreting and the added bonus of the ability to catch rabbits that slip the nets or exit missed holes atb whatever you go for

Whippet x Terrier or whippet x spaniel mate, easy dogs to train to a good standard, better turn of speed than a straight terrier, and wont go to ground. Why make life hard for yourself with a hard headed terrier :thumbs:

true, just watched the (rat man) phil bastey and his pat x whippets are spot on great little dogs. The 1st thing struck me was the speed+agilty of these little dogs, they were very fast of the mark, I reckon for ferreting they be brill . they were marking+ digging were the rats were , and I thought they were fairly quite as terriers go. Deff do the job for ferrting ,ok if you got a bolt out in the open a lurcher prob do bit better, but around holes and quick bolt they be spot on. I was very impressed with this x :thumbs: as said when I come out of lurchers, I deff have one of this x , but the prob is I think, you don't get many bred from this x , but you never know .? But back to post pure pat, do the rabbit job , but 100% better for the fox job, but pat x whippet great for ferreting+bushing rabbits+rats :thumbs::yes:

• Like 1

Did you get it on dvd bird? How much was it?

yeh dvd , it £ 10 quid + £2 quid p+p and its well worth it . :thumbs: ( sporting days,torvean,forse ,lybster,cathness,highland

KW3 6BX united kingdom.

this is the address came back with dvd , as said the pat x whippets were very impressive little dogs :thumbs: , hope to have one in the future . :thumbs:

Whippet x Terrier or whippet x spaniel mate, easy dogs to train to a good standard, better turn of speed than a straight terrier, and wont go to ground. Why make life hard for yourself with a hard headed terrier :thumbs:

true, just watched the (rat man) phil bastey and his pat x whippets are spot on great little dogs. The 1st thing struck me was the speed+agilty of these little dogs, they were very fast of the mark, I reckon for ferreting they be brill . they were marking+ digging were the rats were , and I thought they were fairly quite as terriers go. Deff do the job for ferrting ,ok if you got a bolt out in the open a lurcher prob do bit better, but around holes and quick bolt they be spot on. I was very impressed with this x :thumbs: as said when I come out of lurchers, I deff have one of this x , but the prob is I think, you don't get many bred from this x , but you never know .? But back to post pure pat, do the rabbit job , but 100% better for the fox job, but pat x whippet great for ferreting+bushing rabbits+rats :thumbs::yes:

If i was doing a lot of ratting i think patt x whippet would be a good choice, bit of fire helps if they're taking bites regular, but a mate had an outstanding Russell x whippet, and another mate had a lab x whippet, hands down best mooching/rabbiting dog ive ever seen, super intelligent with it. Ive got a little whipp x spaniel, worked its bollocks off from 5 months old, hardly ever have to raise my voice at her, she bushes well, marks well, catches fur and feather round cover, i wouldn't swap her for a gold pig mate :thumbs:

• Like 2

I had what was supposed to be a Manchester terrier x whippet and she was my 1st running/bushing dog, she accounted for many rabbits, rats, squirrels, and even the odd hare, she took Fox but then wouldn't grab hold after a few gave her some hassle she did continue to bowl them over just not put in the finishing strike. she was a demon on taking pheasant, partridges and even pidgeon She was a great little dog who sadly had to be put to sleep Monday at the old age of 13 after having a stroke.

I had her as a young teenager and she would be out everyday and even night when we could RIP.

Seen a few russell/whippets work the rabbits well in cover, ferreting, good little all round dogs, thought about putting my Plummer dog to a whippet a few times, best of luck with your choice, WM

Often thought that myself wm. Always thought a 3/4 whippet plummer would be a cracking vermin/ferreting/lamp dog. Might be noisy though lol.

• Like 1