Bushing Dogs And Their Diet

jcm

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are designed to run on empty, or virtually empty, stomachs. It is dangerous to feed any dog a normal sized meal before working it hard. Not talking about a little lead exercise, but to me, the fe

A soup is very different to a big meal of meat/bone etc. Liquid is absorbed through the stomach lining within 20 minutes of ingestion. Solids take a lot longer: several hours depending on what it is

on the other hand i run luckys mum on a soup two hours befor i run her killed five out of five and the tank was still full   so everyman till his own and every dog is diffrent

i feed my bitch pound of tripe everymorning or if its cold a carb soup bread cornflacks never would it stop her at the end of the day still ready for more :thumbs:

WE LEARN EVERYDAY :yes::yes:

A few years ago i owned a decent coursing sapling,the word quickly got out among the lads that lived 9 miles from Keighley and they wanted to see it run,if id refused they would have been even more curious,so a run was arranged,so as the mutt would not run at her best i fed her about a pound of the said tripe an hour before.On the day an hare lifted at 30 yds and the lads hollered for me to loose the Saluki hybrid,i let the hare have a little more and slipped her at 70yds,she bent and twisted it for a good minute or more and then stood honking her guts up,then was useless to run the rest of the morning,the fecking thing still got nicked a fortnight later,the moral of the story is not that a fed dog will be nicked,they never ever,ever run right or work right on a belly full of grub,ever,ever.

Probably going of topic a bit. Years ago a mate and myself went half each on a standard bred. The first time I had it under the sulky he was flying. Well he was asked the flash the standard bred to a fella. I was driving and he was like a donkey. Didnt know what was going on. My mate gave him a few xxxx strong mints as they where called at the time. You could put a packet of these in your hand. They wouldnt fill your belly but they sure slowed the horse down. He let me in on the secret after wards.He wanted this fella to see me try as hard as I could to run the horse. He didnt want this fella to see how well the horse could trott. He didnt want the fella to see me trying to hold the horse in.

if a bit of food slows your dogs down get some new dogs and penny once had a dog that run under the fox to grab its neck

MORE BULL SHIT :thumbs:

Ive had many a dog that ran a fox and either bumped it to get a neck hold or had the knack of awaiting a neck strike,if your locking horns with a certain P.Taylor and her knowledge from the field good luck,you may need it.

Liquid digestion into the system is basic science and certainly not just shite wrote in a book and on a second note their has been at least 2 lurchers both deerhound xs that would do neck holds on foxes back in the 80s. If you look at nature it is pretty common practice for predators to use this technique. I have no knowledge of skycats experiences but can only speak of what I have seen. All dogs are different and I wouldn't be surprised at much although no doubt there are some tales told along the way. I personally don't own a running dog but I have found a very small meal in the morning about an hour before work seems to settle them down a bit if it's going to be a long day atb

• Like 2

Locking horns with a certain p taylor with her knowledge from the field !!! Ive have known willow nearly 30 yrs so heres a few facts.He breed the most well known coursing dogs of the modern era, Hes hunted most days of his life be it digging, ferreting ,lamping or coursing.And only keeps a high standard of dog and never kept rubbish.You could go to kennels anytime and the dogs are always in top condition, Other than my son he the only person would lend a dog to because I know it would come back in as good a condition as it went. Because certain people on here answer most of the medical questions does it mean they are an expert ! One so called expert on here lf you read his profile he states that he was a greyhound permit trainer which means you can only keep a maximum of 4 dogs and that he has keep a few lurchers hardly a massive amount of hands on experience is it

Locking horns with a certain p taylor with her knowledge from the field !!! Ive have known willow nearly 30 yrs so heres a few facts.He breed the most well known coursing dogs of the modern era, Hes hunted most days of his life be it digging, ferreting ,lamping or coursing.And only keeps a high standard of dog and never kept rubbish.You could go to kennels anytime and the dogs are always in top condition, Other than my son he the only person would lend a dog to because I know it would come back in as good a condition as it went. Because certain people on here answer most of the medical questions does it mean they are an expert ! One so called expert on here lf you read his profile he states that he was a greyhound permit trainer which means you can only keep a maximum of 4 dogs and that he has keep a few lurchers hardly a massive amount of hands on experience is it

I take little heed in what most say,can,t be arsed,there are possibly 2 people in the world of lurchers that i pay any attention to,yet ive never had the misfortune to meet either of them,the only reason i perused the CMW, before i finally cast it aside,was Skycat,that lass knows her onions from turnips,the other was P.Lloyd,i had affinity with his abrasiveness and direct and honest approach,something akin to P.Taylor,would i put the observations of Willow in the same category?,nope,ive read his input on here,OK at times,pish the rest,imo.

You must live in a very small world if you think they are the only two dog people worth lisaning two .And if P Lloyd reads this im the fellow who bred his old matee trevor dog Merlin.And if a spanial cross cannt work with a pound of tripe in it belly witch is a hand full of meat at the most I dont know. Its a bushing dog not a coursing dog with a bucket full of food in it!. Prohaps the man know his own dog and how to work her at her best.

Without meaning to bore people to death but it is a forum and about opinions, a Heavy meal in the stomach means that blood will need to be directed to the stomach and intestines in order for digestion to take place. This blood when exercising will be redirected to the working muscles and accordingly digestion will slow down and unfortunately a result can be stomach cramping sometimes maybe vomiting. Obviously a lot depends on what you are feeding as stated liquid form foods will be digested much faster and the nutrients in the blood system for use fast, but heavy foods with higher protein content are a different matter and need much longer to be digested and thus useable. Yes this is science and no I aren't a dog but these remain proven facts whatever way you look at it and that's not to undermine anyone else's experiences and methods atb Matt

Guest foxpack

agree 100 % willow has hunted with us ,and has also given help either on the phone or in person ,be it diet tips or general injurys ,he defo noes his onions.he ,ll never recomend anything he has,nt tried himself,

You must live in a very small world if you think they are the only two dog people worth lisaning two .And if P Lloyd reads this im the fellow who bred his old matee trevor dog Merlin.And if a spanial cross cannt work with a pound of tripe in it belly witch is a hand full of meat at the most I dont know. Its a bushing dog not a coursing dog with a bucket full of food in it!. Prohaps the man know his own dog and how to work her at her best.

I thought cesar millan the dog whisperer is the only one to listen too :D

• Like 1