Bushing Dogs And Their Diet

jcm

Dogs are designed to run on empty, or virtually empty, stomachs. It is dangerous to feed any dog a normal sized meal before working it hard. Not talking about a little lead exercise, but to me, the feeding regime should take into consideration how the canine system works. A carnivore hunts in order to feed, then it rests with a full belly until it needs to fill its belly again: very basic.

I add hard lamb or beef fat to a high protein diet in winter when the dogs are working harder. If they are kennelled outside they need much more food than a house dog as they are having to keep themselves warm as well as energized. My terriers get TWICE the amount of food in cold weather compared to their summer rations.

As they are worked/exercised in the afternoons I feed a small breakfast, then the main meal at night, after they have come home and settled.

bwhat do you feed your terriers for breakfast..ingredients and weights ? Cheers bx

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs are designed to run on empty, or virtually empty, stomachs. It is dangerous to feed any dog a normal sized meal before working it hard. Not talking about a little lead exercise, but to me, the fe

A soup is very different to a big meal of meat/bone etc. Liquid is absorbed through the stomach lining within 20 minutes of ingestion. Solids take a lot longer: several hours depending on what it is

on the other hand i run luckys mum on a soup two hours befor i run her killed five out of five and the tank was still full   so everyman till his own and every dog is diffrent

I never weigh any food for any dog. I look at them, and feel them for muscle mass in the case of rough coated dogs that hide their true shape beneath thick fur. Older dogs lose muscle as they age, so they actually do better on the same type of food that you'd give a growing pup: high protein.They often do less as well, so are less likely to have good muscle tone, which means they can sometimes look thinner. Hence the need for an easily digested high protein food.

Although I feed mostly raw, I do feed older dogs and pups a good quality high protein puppy complete for their breakfasts: I use Purina Proplan Puppy. The Whirrier pups of I bred, around 7 months now, get a very small handful of complete in the morning, and if the weather is very cold I add a drop of warm milk and water to it. I give the same to their dam who is coming up 10 years old and who still works hard. There's no point in feeding a cheap complete based on cereal (as opposed to meat based) as you need to feed more of it to do the same amount of good

Their main meal is minced beef, chicken carcase or a piece of lamb rib from the breast, a lump of hard lamb or beef fat, a couple of bits of fresh tripe including any fat, minced or steamed veg. I feed them as much as they'll eat in 5 minutes. If they haven't cleared their bowl then I save what's left to add to their breakfast.

Small very active dogs often need far more food than you'd think, as they burn everything up so fast. I have a couple of older lurchers who wouldn't even get the same amount as the terriers.

• Like 1

Dogs are designed to run on empty, or virtually empty( what dog told you that ) its like say a dont feed them this or that

tried and tested i had a chance to meet the world sledge dog champion hour before he took hes dog out they got a soup

years ago i fly down to nashvile to meet a dog keeper/conditioner

spoke to many top flight conditioners of dogs ALL SAID THE SAME

DOGS CAN NOT RUN ON EMPTY i have kept this in mind punch was feed in the afternoon GC joe was giveing a drink before he set off all mine have bin given a soup

mbs kats had food in the box before she run tomo andy super dog was there and saw it

my own dogs work everyday never come back TIRED OUR ON EMPTY AND DO THIS EVERYDAY

:thumbs::thumbs:

A soup is very different to a big meal of meat/bone etc. Liquid is absorbed through the stomach lining within 20 minutes of ingestion. Solids take a lot longer: several hours depending on what it is made up of. Whilst I don't think it is particularly dangerous to exercise slower dogs on a full stomach, a lurcher or sight hound runs the risk of bloat (torsion) if it is run hard on a full stomach. No dog will ever run completely empty if it is fed every day, so the phrase 'to run empty' is a bit misleading. I prefer not to work or exercise a dog on a full stomach, no more than I would do it myself. No athletes work their best running just after a big meal: it's common sense.

• Like 2

Liquid is absorbed through the stomach lining within 20 minutes of ingestion WHAT DOG TOLD YOU THIS unless you have watched it inside a dog YOUR talking rubbish

DONT believe what you read in books nearly all of them talk shit

the only way to find out is try it and see how your own dogs is

Over the years at short notice I have just fed the dogs or they havent been fed when a mate would ring you to head out. Ive had beagles with full stomachs work for hours with no probs and with empthy stomachs. same with lurchers and terriers.

Over the years at short notice I have just fed the dogs or they havent been fed when a mate would ring you to head out. Ive had beagles with full stomachs work for hours with no probs and with empthy stomachs. same with lurchers and terriers.

The chances of the mutt developing problems when exercised with a feed in it may be rare,yet they happen,the chance of a mutt developing problems with little in the gut are far,far rarer.then again there is exercise and exercise.

The chances of the mutt developing problems when exercised with a feed in it may be rare,yet they happen,the chance of a mutt developing problems with little in the gut are far,far rarer.then again there is exercise and exercise.

Luckily I didnt experience any ill effects in the dogs. The beagles would be on the go for 4,5,6 hours. which would be more extreme compared to the lurcher and terriers

Luckily I didnt experience any ill effects in the dogs. The beagles would be on the go for 4,5,6 hours. which would be more extreme compared to the lurcher and terriers

The lurchers that have been fed before a decent gallop stand out from the rest,they are bent double spewing their guts up.Even the bushers work with less desire when they have a belly full of grub digesting away,which they are more comfortable doing curled up in their bed,each to their own i suppose.
  • Like 1

The lurchers that have been fed before a decent gallop stand out from the rest,they are bent double spewing their guts up.Even the bushers work with less desire when they have a belly full of grub digesting away,which they are more comfortable doing curled up in their bed,each to their own i suppose.

I wouldnt go out of my way to feed a dog before I work it but I have been caught at short notice over the years, just fed the dogs and couldnt refuse the call to go out. My rule of thumb would feed them a good meal after working no food before working.So the dogs would be on empty stomachs or what ever is in their system from the day before.

i feed my bitch pound of tripe everymorning or if its cold a carb soup bread cornflacks never would it stop her at the end of the day still ready for more :thumbs:

WE LEARN EVERYDAY :yes::yes:

You hit the nail on the head dont think anyone will ever know it all. I have one of those cockerxterriers for my son. Id say she will go through alot of fuel in her life time.Full of energy she is

i feed my bitch pound of tripe everymorning or if its cold a carb soup bread cornflacks never would it stop her at the end of the day still ready for more :thumbs:

WE LEARN EVERYDAY :yes::yes:

A few years ago i owned a decent coursing sapling,the word quickly got out among the lads that lived 9 miles from Keighley and they wanted to see it run,if id refused they would have been even more curious,so a run was arranged,so as the mutt would not run at her best i fed her about a pound of the said tripe an hour before.On the day an hare lifted at 30 yds and the lads hollered for me to loose the Saluki hybrid,i let the hare have a little more and slipped her at 70yds,she bent and twisted it for a good minute or more and then stood honking her guts up,then was useless to run the rest of the morning,the fecking thing still got nicked a fortnight later,the moral of the story is not that a fed dog will be nicked,they never ever,ever run right or work right on a belly full of grub,ever,ever.

on the other hand i run luckys mum on a soup two hours befor i run her killed five out of five and the tank was still full

so everyman till his own and every dog is diffrent :thumbs:

I believe Penny covered the liquid side,1lb of tripe is not a soup,unless its liquidised with a couple of pints of chicken stock,an onion,garlic clove and a pinch of salt,then over 2 pints of soup in a dog would not have it do much more than fart and sleep.