Mother Nature Reclaiming Chernobyl

You can go into pripyat etc for limited time safely. The background radiation isn't harmful over short periods. It's debatable whether it's even harmful over more extended periods...

The dangerous bit isn't the level, radiation dose is accumulative as you probably know......once you go you have got your dose and you don't loose it when you leave......the longer you stay, the bigger it gets mate.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love that, how awesome is this planet that things can grow and live again where men can't

It's a shame we have to rely on old Mother Nature to put our shit right though, It makes me think of the miners who took a suicide mission, to dig under the place to secure the core with concrete, top

drone flys over chernobyl, wont be long till mother nature fully reclaims it.  

You can go into pripyat etc for limited time safely. The background radiation isn't harmful over short periods. It's debatable whether it's even harmful over more extended periods...

The dangerous bit isn't the level, radiation dose is accumulative as you probably know......once you go you have got your dose and you don't loose it when you leave......the longer you stay, the bigger it gets mate.

It also seems to affect men worse than women. The babushkas of Chernobyl are quite famous and have been the subject of several articles and at least 1 documentary. They all have some form of cancer (thyroid cancer appears to be the most coon) but they have all outlived their men...

Yeah I know mate. I was going to do the math to compare it to other areas of high background radiation to put it into perspective, but f**k it, lol. I was just pointing out that it's really actually safe to visit.

The fact most of it is Thyroid cancer suggests it's Alpha particles doing the damage to me.....these are the real dangerous suckers, you actually ingest Alpha particles.

It's one of the reasons X radiation is more dangerous than sealed gamma source......the good about about X is that you can switch it off !! Lol

Love that, how awesome is this planet that things can grow and live again where men can't

evolution in action :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Haha, not really.....radiation alters cellular structure ( basically the energy released from its track smashes everything in it's path resulting in breaks in the DNA helix) so if life is all chapter and verse double helix stuff then by rights nothing should be alive ;) Edited by WILF

Yeah I know mate. I was going to do the math to compare it to other areas of high background radiation to put it into perspective, but f**k it, lol. I was just pointing out that it's really actually safe to visit.
It's not the background it's the type that would be the danger mate if your were comparing it to other type of radiation, UV is not ionising and the levels from the old tube type telly was so low is didn't matter.

Type is everything when it comes to low level radiation pal

Edited by WILF

evolution in action :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Haha, not really.....radiation alters cellular structure ( basically the energy released from its track smashes everything in it's path resulting in breaks in the DNA helix) so if life is all chapter and verse double helix stuff then by rights nothing should be alive ;)

over time things will evolve to live there, same with volcano's and the deepest oceans,

The fact most of it is Thyroid cancer suggests it's Alpha particles doing the damage to me.....these are the real dangerous suckers, you actually ingest Alpha particles.

It's one of the reasons X radiation is more dangerous than sealed gamma source......the good about about X is that you can switch it off !! Lol

if i remember correctly from my NBC sentry course. alpha is the least penetrating and can be stopped by a sheet of paper. beta is more penetrating but aluminium foil with stop it that leaves gamma and the only thing to block that is lead or very.very.thick concrete, should be ok with naps tablets and a dosimeter but just to be on the safe side take the chemical stuff too but just make sure the combi pen still has the tablet in the top. that way at least you can die full of atropine and diazipam

if i remember correctly from my NBC sentry course. alpha is the least penetrating and can be stopped by a sheet of paper. beta is more penetrating but aluminium foil with stop it that leaves gamma and the only thing to block that is lead or very.very.thick concrete, should be ok with naps tablets and a dosimeter but just to be on the safe side take the chemical stuff too but just make sure the combi pen still has the tablet in the top. that way at least you can die full of atropine and diazipam

Alpha can be ingested and is a very naughty customer, not powerful in everyone's common idea of what radiation is.

With Gamma, water is the most effective followed by tungsten, barium concrete, lead and so on and so forth.

There is also a thing called the inverse square law which relates to distance and values, half lives etc etc but I can't remember it now as it was a very long time ago I had anything to do with it

Edited by WILF

It's not the background it's the type that would be the danger mate if your were comparing it to other type of radiation, UV is not ionising and the levels from the old tube type telly was so low is didn't matter.

Type is everything when it comes to low level radiation pal

You don't really count anything other than gamma when you refer to background radiation generally. Alpha and beta are particles with very short mean free paths, so when detecting background will often go uncounted. Non ionising isn't counted at all.

• Like 1

Water ain't great at absorbing gamma mate, not as good as a dense metal. A gamma has a very large mean free path in water, I work with calibrating and characterising tools that measure density using gamma sources. Water is excellent for neuton absorbtion though, which is what makes neutron radiation very harmful to humans too being 80% water.

Alpha radiation itself is pretty harmless, they use it in industry a lot, even smoke detectors. What is harmful is the alpha emitting radio isotopes which are ingested and decay internally. Ideal for a dirty bomb.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Water ain't great at absorbing gamma mate, not as good as a dense metal. A gamma has a very large mean free path in water, I work with calibrating and characterising tools that measure density using gamma sources. Water is excellent for neuton absorbtion though, which is what makes neutron radiation very harmful to humans too being 80% water.

Just shows how things leave your memory banks, I was always under the impression that water reduced the gamma "power" fairly well !!........no wonder those dose badges used to just disappear !! Lol