Fell Packs..

I can remember like yesterday watching hound hunt fox on to lake shore!! They ran him in full view of us and the fox laying tight in the rocks all that was moving was its ears as a hound stood above only feet away! If I remember right they hunted him up and down the shore twice like this before they caught it and rolled in to the lake? Then back to haweswater hotel for a sing song, great times gone for ever! Glad I hunted in the fells!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Perthshire Keeper. Had a nice day out with the E&E. Cracking weather too!     Just a couple off the phone. Thanks again

"on skiddaws lofty mountian some wet and windy days you can hear old johnnys voice as he shouts ~WHHOOOOO!! get away. but we know that he has gone away and never comeing back we have some lov

Sounds spot on that mate. Reminds me i never got hold of those books he wrote.Great little read here. http://www.earthdog-runningdog.com/author/lyn/   Never far away from a good view in the lake

Spent many happy days up in eskdale used to camp up near the village on the left as you come up the road. Cracking pub round there George 5 if I remember correctly, built on Roman foundations and serves a feckin excellent pint of sneck lifter :laugh:

Also once got caught out on the smaller hill opposite helvelyn can't mind the name of it but the ex and me arrived at the carpark all ready to go up helvelyn, I took one look and said fuuck that far to risky, so we trotted off up the smaller opposite on the other side of the road kitted out to go up helvelyn in winter. This was a good plan as up on the top a bloody blizzard hit with fog and we couldn't see shit real bad craic. So out came the bivvie bags and space blackets and we plonked down with the dogs and got the stove on making a brew and a scran :laugh: nowt like nature teaching you she's still in charge ;)

• Like 1

I spent a week one November with the Ulswater, back when John hunted them. He very kindly put me up in his cottage for the week. I saw some excellent hunting, couldn't have planned it better. It's the sort of stuff that cleanses the soul. Great experience!

• Like 1

I was brought up only a few hundred yards from the Coniston kennels, could see them from the bedroom window, allways plenty of hound music especially at feeding time,Anthony Chappie Chapman hunted them then,after him Chris Ogilvy.

I dont seem to find time to go hunting now, i have only been once in the last 2 seasons, but you cant do every thing or be in 2 places at once.

Brian

Had some good times at mardale shepards meet early 1990,s with lyn harper never the same after! Good hunt hounds caught fox and rolled in to haweswater with it fantastic! Never forget it !!!

Was that the same hunt when terrier got stuck in Eagle Crag? I attended a few good mardale shepherds meet in the company of the B. Brightmore.

Aye good times never to be repeated I am afraid.

B.

Must have been the same hunt, fox running through the bracken jumping on large boulders and turning right left and centre, made the hounds look stupid for a few minutes until he decided not to wet his toes and that was his down fall, then back to the pub for some grub and a sing song.

Aye grand times and loved my lakes hunting, way of life and they tried to curtail it.

B.

On top of a summit with the ulswater....the huntsman had just said into his radio 'we are on a summit somewhere, but we dont know where, or which way we are looking,or where we are heading'

Looks fine mate if you click on the image.

Agreed, fog can be nightmare up there. I had a bad do with it on striding edge once, on my own early one morning.

There's a scramble after you come off the ridge and i lost sense of direction... ended up on the inside of the horse shoe, clinging on for dear life! LOL

Is that Ullswater country country bye the way?

Few pic's for practice, does my head in!!F646E2B4-83C8-4DD2-8308-32A34AC08886-365E6500D13-A66C-45CE-8BB3-B32257AF54FB-365D801EED0-BB3F-4806-A6A4-3D173C300998-36591D3A298-8F75-465A-8B9E-FA00700BA45A-365

Hope these work!

Stunning pics , beautiful country. What tarn is that ?

On top of a summit with the ulswater....the huntsman had just said into his radio 'we are on a summit somewhere, but we dont know where, or which way we are looking,or where we are heading'

Looks fine mate if you click on the image.

Agreed, fog can be nightmare up there. I had a bad do with it on striding edge once, on my own early one morning.

There's a scramble after you come off the ridge and i lost sense of direction... ended up on the inside of the horse shoe, clinging on for dear life! LOL

Is that Ullswater country country bye the way?

Few pic's for practice, does my head in!!F646E2B4-83C8-4DD2-8308-32A34AC08886-365E6500D13-A66C-45CE-8BB3-B32257AF54FB-365D801EED0-BB3F-4806-A6A4-3D173C300998-36591D3A298-8F75-465A-8B9E-FA00700BA45A-365

Hope these work!

Stunning pics , beautiful country. What tarn is that ?
Red Tarn mate, well worth a look...

Cheers mate

It looks bonny.

Any trout in it ?

I love fishing the high lochans and tarns .

Apparently so, i googled it because i didn't have a clue! LOL

Red Tarn - Freshwater Fishing:

Cragman, im very envious!

Work and family commitments for me at the mo, my time will come..

Bush, I've lots of days holiday owed, hence the days off. However, today didn't happen. Due to some folks inability to drive I was held up for nearly two hours on the M65. By the time it was cleared I'd of been very late so I had to turn round and met traffic on the way home!

Edited by cragman

Cheers mate

It looks bonny.

Any trout in it ?

I love fishing the high lochans and tarns .

Apparently so, i googled it because i didn't have a clue! LOL

Red Tarn - Freshwater Fishing:

Cragman, im very envious!

Work and family commitments for me at the mo, my time will come..

Cheers mate

I will be there in the summer with the fly rod .

Crag man hope you make it this week . I am very jealous .

• Like 1