First Night Out With My New 17Hmr

hi went out for my first night with my cz452 .17hmr my mate who i brought it from came along .

i had to set it up before even thinking about hitting the rabbits he has always used hornady 17gr but he gave me some remington accutip 17gr with the gun when i purchased it only about 25 left in the box so i thought i would use them get it on to paper as i had put my new scope on . so i loaded my 10 shot mag done 3 shots then adjusted my scope went back to take my 4th shot and just got CLICK so i thought miss fire kept it point at the target which had a decent hill behind it for about 5 minutes. i then slowly pulled the bolt back before loading my next round i thought i would just pick up the miss fired round . to find out that the bullet head wasnt attached to the casing ( but the casing was in perfect condition no split neck on the casing like i have heard the hornady round doing ) anyway as you can guess the bullet head was stuck in my barrel.

lucky for me i had a rod clean kit on me it wasnt easy to get out but after a couple of taps it finally come out with a bit of luck

after all that i was put off by the remingtons and switched over to the winchester v-max 17gr which i had brought earlier that day from my local rfd well i will never look back now my gun loves them after i finished setup ( 1.5'' high @ 100yrds ) we decide to try them out so we drove around the golf courese had 7 rabbits with the hmr shortest distance was 113yards and longest was 181yard bloody fantastic real good night rabbits now in freezer awaiting the stew pot

sorry for the essay but thought i would share my experiences and sorry for grammar or any bad spelling didnt do that well at school lol

thanks for reading

simon

• Like 1

Sounds like you had fun mate, but yet another worrying Hmr, bullet stuck in barrel, report, fortunately you had the presence of mind to check up the barrel before chambering another round, this is happening far far too often, how long before someone is seriously hurt with one of these damn hmrs? And as for Remington ammo, well I have used .22lr, .22 hornet, .243, .30-06 and never seen any that was any good :hmm:

Come on cc, the HMR has issues for sure, and ammo qc could be better, but seriously hurt? If anyone follows normal safety procedures, (pretty similar for any calibre/gun), then there will be no problems, and if people don't know the safety procedures they have no right to be using any gun.

Now please, do not think I am belittling the HMR issues, I'm not, and anything that causes onging problems; one in particular which is never likely to be solved, is far from good and simply not acceptable. But we are where we are, semi auto HMR guns ceased production some while ago due to safety implications, but I see no plans to bin the HMR anywhere round the world, these are thriving in the USA where the litigation culture would have annihilated them had their been half enough cause!

As for changing specific ammo brands, I see that as a complete waste of time, history has shown no HMR brand is free from misfire or split cases, batches vary in every brand, and the vast majority are put together by Alliant Techsystems anyway, simply with a different tip colour and label on the box!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Strange, I've never had a dud or squib hmr round but plenty duds with the 22s.... and fact is I rarely check the dud, just rack another before the rabbit bolts! It's just relatively so common with the 22 that I know it's a dud and safe to just chamber another quick.

• Like 1

I am not going over the same boring old ground again, but with people getting bolts blown up and bits of the stock flying off I tend to disagree, and before anyone says "show me where the account of that is" take a look on the Stalking directory, and I am pretty sure there was a chap on here not too long ago that thankfully was not injured but had his hmr damaged quite badly.

I am not going over the same boring old ground again, but with people getting bolts blown up and bits of the stock flying off I tend to disagree, and before anyone says "show me where the account of that is" take a look on the Stalking directory, and I am pretty sure there was a chap on here not too long ago that thankfully was not injured but had his hmr damaged quite badly.

He put a round up a barrel which already had a stuck bullet in it, the same could happen to any rifle/any calibre! And from what I remember he wasn't hurt, other than shock, I am not aware of any HMR ammo related injuries!!

As I have said, and accept, the likelihood is it will happen more often with a HMR, and I am not defending them at all as such, there are known issues with the ammo which means users need to be alert...safety procedures/thoughtlessness ultimately lead to these sort of problems.

Again, I am not suggesting that because the ammo is a problem it is acceptable and the user is totally to blame, but you have to be realistic and careful if you have an HMR. I have a HMR, I think it is appalling the ammo has the ongoing problems it does, but I chose to use it and I'm careful, as should everyone be when using a HMR.

I also repeat my comment from earlier...... these are thriving in the USA where the litigation culture would have annihilated them had their been half enough cause!

ATB! :thumbs:

Speaking to a guy from the states who confirmed what I had thought and said it was a problem with his rifle which caused this, Winchester if I remember rightly does use thick brass so with that in mind I'm sure that can also be taken into account when limited powder is used to force the bullet head out the barrel that maybe its just that little too thick...after all there are many like myself who have no problems and who's rifles fire any and everything with no problems.

hi the main thing i was getting with everyone was if you get a miss fire check it as i have know a lot of people not to bother they just chamber the next round and away they go

zx10mike yeah it was 181 yard hardly any wind and was a chest shot my mate has one of those measuring wheels in his truck and he walked over and collected the rabbit with that and then coverted in on his phone from meters to yards in all honest didnt think i was going to get it but in the end was worth the shot and is going to be a hard one to beat lol :thumbs:

hi the main thing i was getting with everyone was if you get a miss fire check it as i have know a lot of people not to bother they just chamber the next round and away they go

zx10mike yeah it was 181 yard hardly any wind and was a chest shot my mate has one of those measuring wheels in his truck and he walked over and collected the rabbit with that and then coverted in on his phone from meters to yards in all honest didnt think i was going to get it but in the end was worth the shot and is going to be a hard one to beat lol :thumbs:

The gene pool would be better off without these people anyway! :laugh::thumbs:

Any round does that just follow the drills. I have seen all kinds of caliber over the years have duds in a batch. Lets be honest and admit some brands are renowned for duffness, is that a word?

Its a tiny round to start with so sods law says there will be some rifles that can't cope with some brands. .22 is infamous for duds, that is certain brands.

My maxim has always been find out what suits and stick with it. Safety is not a joke.