Struggling With Pup On Lamp

Well been taking the puppy out which is 11 months old now about once twice a week for 5 weeks on the lamp only giving her 3 slips a night not to over do it at first she was hunting up but now getting over that slowly but surely. Last week took her ferreting and caught 2 bolters and a day later took her out lamping and she caught a rabbit thought great the penny has dropped but how ever she has not killed a thing and I no a decent dog would of had a couple tonight she missed 2 squatters from about ten feet away admitidly I don't think she saw them but when she is coursing she seems to lack that last push if speed to get the rabbit will it come with age as she's still a baby she a saluki whippet sliding think speed should be a problem

• Like 1

It should come with age and experience, however some of the saluki blooded dogs I have seen in past running on lamp looked to be in no hurry to pick up the running bunny. As if they like the run more than the catch, I like a lurcher to get there and pick up asap, but everybody is as different as the dogs we run

That's exactly what it seems to be like

First off, the rabbit she caught on the lamp, did you expect/want her to kill it also? Most pups do not kill their catches and its better they don't, thats your job..!

As for only giving her so many slips, it really don't matter how many, its the 'quality' of the slips that make the difference, because success is everything...!

Get her out often, go to the best places and give her the best slips and if your going well and catching, keep going a bit, you probably ain't gonna do the ton!

One was dead she has dropped 2 she's very soft mouthed tonight I got with in 10 feet of rabbits twice to. Be fair it's not the easiest of places to run quite a bit of cover just thought she should if caught them

One was dead she has dropped 2 she's very soft mouthed tonight I got with in 10 feet of rabbits twice to. Be fair it's not the easiest of places to run quite a bit of cover just thought she should if caught them

its easy to think a dog should catch its easy stood on the bylines but to a inexperienced dog its all new and sometimes hard be patience and it only come with getting out and runs maybe work on her retrieve has she maybe not use to the feel of fur in her mouth just keep getting her out and it will come

Edited by blackmaggie

I wouldn't be too botherd just yet mate give her plenty of praise after each run even when she should have cought it but never ever lose you rag and start shouting at her as you will never get her going.

With mine I got sick of getting pulled all over when on the lead and going for a different one that was in the beam in the end I just let him walk with me off the lead now he just followes the beam and and he's getting plenty if I don't want him to give chase I just turn the lamp off and he comes back

Good luck mate atb mark

There's no worry at all yet mate. Especially with her having Saluki blood in her! Surely she felt soft toys in her mouth(resembling fur) when she and yourself played as a puppy. As for getting down on her level, this would have all been done on the training ground when you were doing retrieval . So carry on the way you started.

Its like driving to you when you first started to learn. Driving around at 20 mph getting under everyone's skin.. It didn't last long did it, till you knew exactly what you wanted to do in your mind. Practise makes sense. As Bosun says, it's not about how many, its about how good the run is. One good heart beating run is better than 3 hedge dodgers.

Let it be a pup still mate but just keep getting her out. Let her see the land your lamping in day light hours also.

• Like 2

Now I don't confess to know much but what's the hurry to get this dog up and running? It sounds to me atleast the dog ain't found its running shoes yet? Patience is everything when rearing running dogs? Would you send a child to do a mans job? .. just put the dog away until after Xmas and I bet you see a different dog? Let it finish being a pup because trust me any bad habits young dogs pick up at this stage will take a better man than I to iron them out..don't do what's right for you do what's right for the dog..Atb Andy

• Like 2