Unusual Catch.......

I sold my silver on ebay, got over 100 quid for it! :) happy days. I also left a bag of random moles in my ex girlfriends mums freezer, she was not happy when she found them lol straight in the bin haha

did you sell them frozen??? $$$$$$$$$

No issues with postage at all, ive done the same thing with skins etc and bigger critters too. Even sent owls, buzzards, all were reported road kills, all made it to the destination within UK with no issues. the skins were salted and rolled, all animals and birds were sent frozen.

• Like 1

When I was a keeper, I paid for a holiday to Corfu for the whole fam, off selling dried skins on ebay for fly tying. I shot and ate a lot of game/vermin, and didnt like wasting anything, so always salt cured the skins of fur and feather. Ended up with heaps of the damn things so put a few up and they went like hot-cakes...Theres nothing wrong about posting this kind of thing mate within the UK.

I still have some nice roe skins, boar, chamois, rabbit, hare, goats lol Im willing to sell and ship! :victory:

• Like 2

Can I ask lads does mole catching pay the bills??

It was my main income for 3 years, I thought pay was very good, and I charged a fiver a mole ffs on farm jobs (caught lots of moles!) Most of these 'pro' mole trappers on here charge a hell of a lot more than I did but they all moan like f**k...I still do a bit now, but Im loving the forest work too much lol

A fiver a mole ? ,might be alright , over vast acreage, populated with decent numbers.Not so good when your 'walking' a large area,to mop up moles here & there,.....lol Come to think of it ,havent had the chance to treat any ground,thats 'black' with moles,for a long while.Depends on the area, & competition ! , i suppose.

JD, no it had a pure white coat, but with rusty staining around the front end and vent. Ive had 3 of those orangey-white ones that were not albino, and about 4 true albino. Only one silver, and as far as I know they are super rare.

Albino

011-2.jpg

Mr Mudder, thats a different one that black and orange.. I wonder if the same area will produce more in the future? Ive not had a rare one for years now... it always put a grin on my face getting a different one :) Great to see!

I've two silvers in me freezer....

Can i have one ? LOL

Edited by earth-thrower

Can I ask lads does mole catching pay the bills??

It was my main income for 3 years, I thought pay was very good, and I charged a fiver a mole ffs on farm jobs (caught lots of moles!) Most of these 'pro' mole trappers on here charge a hell of a lot more than I did but they all moan like f**k...I still do a bit now, but Im loving the forest work too much lol

A fiver a mole ? ,might be alright , over vast acreage, populated with decent numbers.Not so good when your 'walking' a large area,to mop up moles here & there,.....lol Come to think of it ,havent had the chance to treat any ground,thats 'black' with moles,for a long while.Depends on the area, & competition ! , i suppose.

Yes, I never had any shortage of moles mate, catching 3/400 hundred per week easy. Id done a bit and was ok when I was a keeper just about the estate, but I got Moleys video and went a step further and took the plunge into pest control. Obviously I charged differently for other jobs, the 6 quid per mole was farm clearance work and easily paid my rent and needs, so at the time I was never complaining, having come from keepering (even with the tips was not a money job lol). Plus I wanted more time to go hunting and I got that too.

When I was a keeper, I paid for a holiday to Corfu for the whole fam, off selling dried skins on ebay for fly tying. I shot and ate a lot of game/vermin, and didnt like wasting anything, so always salt cured the skins of fur and feather. Ended up with heaps of the damn things so put a few up and they went like hot-cakes...Theres nothing wrong about posting this kind of thing mate within the UK.

I still have some nice roe skins, boar, chamois, rabbit, hare, goats lol Im willing to sell and ship! :victory:

i used to save a LOT of wings tails and skins up all year and sell them in one go to a well known supplier and that paid for my 10 days at the end of the season..

phesant tail feathers were a right money spinner! we used to crate birds up in bread crates and i used to go along and pluck the 2 center tail feathers out of each bird and would have 2-400 tail feathers at the end of a good week and at 5p each :thumbs: like ladder traps with jackdaws i could catch 3-500 for a couple of weeks and thou it was a dirty job i could get nearly a £1 a jackdoor for wings and scalps...crow,magpie wings magpie tail feathers...mole skins were £1.15 each..hare masks.stoats tails even starling wings and moore hen skins they all went in a box! CDC from mallard was a good one too! and any birds we couldent sell to the dealer i would boil for dogs and cure the wings for sending off.... i once sent a pallet of stuff and 2 big xl cheese crisp boxes of stuff in one go and they paid postage....

i often go into a fishing shop and wonder if they stuff in bags were from me

• Like 2

i used to save a LOT of wings tails and skins up all year and sell them in one go to a well known supplier and that paid for my 10 days at the end of the season..

phesant tail feathers were a right money spinner! we used to crate birds up in bread crates and i used to go along and pluck the 2 center tail feathers out of each bird and would have 2-400 tail feathers at the end of a good week and at 5p each :thumbs: like ladder traps with jackdaws i could catch 3-500 for a couple of weeks and thou it was a dirty job i could get nearly a £1 a jackdoor for wings and scalps...crow,magpie wings magpie tail feathers...mole skins were £1.15 each..hare masks.stoats tails even starling wings and moore hen skins they all went in a box! CDC from mallard was a good one too! and any birds we couldent sell to the dealer i would boil for dogs and cure the wings for sending off.... i once sent a pallet of stuff and 2 big xl cheese crisp boxes of stuff in one go and they paid postage....

Must have been E .VENIARDS mate i did the same .Fox skins went to a company called CUBBINS of York .

Must have been E .VENIARDS mate i did the same .Fox skins went to a company called CUBBINS of York .

Mine went to Cobbledicks in Bude. Antis torched the place pricks. :censored:

:thumbs: could never get a buyer for fox and deer skins thou

Nothing to do with moles, but this is the most ‘Unusual Catch’ I’ve had in a while.

robin_zpsefa776d1.jpg

Important to say he was only in the cage trap a couple of minuets and absolutely no harm came to him, but the little sod was bloody lucky I wasn’t using fenns that day ;)

• Like 2