Setting Bgs On Trees ?

Hi folks what are the various ways of setting BG on trees for squirrels as the quick clip seems not to be strong enough to hold a B116

You mean a killer clip? They'll do the job no bother!

Drill the hole in the centre larger, to fit a decent screw, and screw to tree!

Also two nails placed the right distance apart, will work just as well!

Another method is a piece of lath cut to the proper width, works also!

The law doesn't prescribe what, exactly constitutes a 'tunnel'. If you are in any doubt, I'd suggest erring on the side of caution, especially as people who decide on prosecutions of this type read this forum nearly every day.

A day off Mickey? No. But unlike some, my life is more than THL and I'm not here every minute of every day.

I do not trap, but follow the forum as it really interests me. I have seen photo's of all types of coverings that have been classed as a tunnel and if truth be told they are tunnels, whether they are fit for purpose is another matter? But what is fit for purpose? For a fen I suppose it has to be strong enough to trap the target against the roof of the tunnel while minimising the chances of catching a non target species by restricting the entrance size?

For a body grip as long as the entrance size was proportionate to the animal you are trapping as long as there is a covering over the trap it would not really matter how strong it was or what it was made of?

I wonder how far of the mark I am?

TC

I do not trap, but follow the forum as it really interests me. I have seen photo's of all types of coverings that have been classed as a tunnel and if truth be told they are tunnels, whether they are fit for purpose is another matter? But what is fit for purpose? For a fen I suppose it has to be strong enough to trap the target against the roof of the tunnel while minimising the chances of catching a non target species by restricting the entrance size?

For a body grip as long as the entrance size was proportionate to the animal you are trapping as long as there is a covering over the trap it would not really matter how strong it was or what it was made of?

I wonder how far of the mark I am?

TC

:hmm: Facts are, we work in the crowded and densily populated UK,..not the wilderness of the Canadian backwoods....

No set is ever 100% safe,...most tunnels/cubbies are vulnerable to interference,..so,.the onus is on the trapper, to show 'due diligence',.or sooner or later, the shit will hit the fan and we will lose yet another tool. in the trapper's armoury....

Therefore, we have to be sensible..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

I think the wording on tunnels is something like "suitable for restricting acces by non-target animals while not impeding the efficiency of the trap".

Apart from legal considerations, If you have to cover a trap anyway, it may as well be with something rigid that guides the intended victim squarely towards the trigger. Using something like conifer fronds or sticks covered in leaves there is a risk that that a strong animal like a squirrel might push through towards the bait from the wrong angle and trigger the trap with a twig or be miss-caught.

• Like 2