Need To Fatten Up A Hob

I need to put some weight on one of my hobs he has lost a fair bit over the summer months and is now boney along his back , too thin for my liking , cant really understand it as the other 5 he lives with are in really good condition.

All summer they have had a diet of mostly rabbit out of the chest freezer , so my plan is to feed him on some pigeons and the odd pheasant , have spoken to one of my farmers who said shoot all the pheasants you want as long as I can have an odd brace, Lucky am I or what. :thumbs:

How old is he? In the past I've sometimes seen older ferrets lose condition like you describe, and it's been virtually impossible to get any weight back on them. Generally speaking I've found within 18 months (and sometimes quite a bit sooner) of going like that they've died.

• Like 2

He is definitely not being bullied off the food , I've watched and he gets his fair share , although he seems to take ages to eat it .

He is about 4 -ish , as near as I know as I got him from a rescue centre , no I have never wormed any of my ferrets that may be a good start.

The gaots milk sounds interesting , but the last thing he needs is a dose of the runs.

Thanks for all your advice , really would like to get him sorted before the cold weather creeps in.

He is definitely not being bullied off the food , I've watched and he gets his fair share , although he seems to take ages to eat it .

He is about 4 -ish , as near as I know as I got him from a rescue centre , no I have never wormed any of my ferrets that may be a good start.

The gaots milk sounds interesting , but the last thing he needs is a dose of the runs.

Thanks for all your advice , really would like to get him sorted before the cold weather creeps in.

Full fat Lactose free milk :thumbs: sell it at Tesco,cheaper than goats milk,I give it to nursing jills and when weaning kits,never had a problem with the runs :D

Ive had this problem before,an older hob in with two young hobs.they all seemed to eat fine but if you kept a close eye on them I noticed the older one would get full and go for a sleep,while the young ones would still be bouncing about and tucking into more food.basically competion for food was high and the older ferret lost out.moved him into a hutch with and old Jill and and now he lives the quiet life getting to eat when he wants and nobody bothering him.the weight came back on no problem

Sounds like hes shagged the pants off himself all summer?. Now the darker, colder nights are drawing in, he should come out of season now and start putting some fat on and growing his winter coat in. Mine is going through the motions at the minute. Just keep chucking flesh at them if hes alright in himself generally..

• Like 2

Hi guys , had to put him out of his misery , whatever I tried he was just getting weaker , got him out of his run as he could not stand and put him on the grass , but he just layed there with his head on one side.

I hate having to do that , but he was so weak , AAARRRGGGGHHHH.

God bless , little fella. :angel: