Working Cover....

wuyang

Ive heard some dogs tend to work all cover regardless, for example........springers, whereas others may only work it if they know there's something there.....I've heard cockers are more prone to.

Just wondering what your experiences are of this with the breeds of dogs you've bushed with and what your preferences are.

My last terrier i had would only work cover if there was fresh scent and game about and only if it wasn't too tight, if it was she would whine and circle it. The one i have now will go through any cover tight or not if there is stuff about and when ever she does its on her terms, what i mean is i can't just point at cover and she'll dive in, i have tried but she just gives me this confused look and continues to hunt up i suppose she hunts similar to a hound. I do wish i had more control over her maybe i will have to get a spaniel x next time round atb daywalker.

Sometimes mu jrt stays in the cover long after the rabbits bolted trying to find it and others the rabbit can go in cover in front of him and he just has a quick sniff and move on but when i piont he goes in and bolts it hes only bushing 8 months and was a year old when i started him he dont come from hunting stock and had no other to show him the ropes so im more than happy with him even on his bad days

My little jack is now eleven, but is still working well. She just follows her nose where there is a scent, but I do point bits out for her to check....she by no means works all the cover I point out unless she picks up a scent, but to assume there is nothing in cover because she doesn't go in ain't always true in her case.

She's very vocal on a fresh scent and knows it draws the other dogs to her..... I see her do this quite often in open woodland.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

How do you know nothing is in there if the dogs not going through it ???

id want a dog that enters all cover, if somethig is laid up tight its very easy for a dog not to get wind of it from outside the cover

Edited by chid21
  • Like 3

There's lots of cover you get to know over time that rarely if ever holds anything.......I'm pretty sure dogs pick up on this as well....tending to head to the spots that more likely to hold scent.......for instance the walk through one of the woods I go holds hardly anything and my russell just trots along the path.

Why want a dog that works all cover.......I would favour a bushing dog isn't going to blindly work all cover.....a dog that doesn't work all cover will miss the odd thing are two....obviously, but will still end up putting more game up than one that does work all cover.....given the amount of time it will waste.

As long as mine gives the little run a sniff that I've pointed out then that keeps me happy.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 2

Not always a dog can pick up scent, but I know to trust my dog in most situations. Scent can not always be picked up on the edge of cover, it may start a little way in. No one wants a dog that enters every bit of cover, wasting energy and time. But as I said if I ask it to enter then it should.

Us as humans have a greater field of view, so sight has an advantage sometimes.

• Like 1

I took the terrier out earlier today its only a small place but has some really large areas of cover with smaller bits as well and i noticed my dog today missed the small areas but worked right through the larger parts and she managed to peg a nice healthy rabbit as well so i was well pleased. She's never been out with another dog but i would love to get her out with some dogs that know the score while she is still young, anyways atb daywalker.

• Like 1

I find it makes more sense to trust the dogs than berate them for not trusting me.

Having said that mine are kelpies and, in order to keep them as kelpies, it's best to trust their superior knowledge for fear of turning them into collies. Not a criticism of collies I hasten to add...simply that I bought kelpies for several reasons and the main one was their ability to work unaided and it's possible to turn them off work by continually telling them that you know best. I've known cases where kelpies will say, "Sod it: if you think you're so clever mate then do it yourself!"

• Like 2

I find it makes more sense to trust the dogs than berate them for not trusting me.

Having said that mine are kelpies and, in order to keep them as kelpies, it's best to trust their superior knowledge for fear of turning them into collies. Not a criticism of collies I hasten to add...simply that I bought kelpies for several reasons and the main one was their ability to work unaided and it's possible to turn them off work by continually telling them that you know best. I've known cases where kelpies will say, "Sod it: if you think you're so clever mate then do it yourself!"

i have watched younger spaniel x blank cover and thought is there something in there old dog come along and PROVED there telling the truth same as makeing earths i have let the young bitch mark just to see if shes right let olden check she bin spot on :thumbs:

• Like 2