Ferreting Solo

Joe1888

On the way down to new permission this morning i stopped by another permission to check the live trap, found this mixy rabbit waiting..

IMG_0122_zpsfbcbcc45.jpg

IMG_0123_zpsd0c1b20b.jpg

Spotted these in the next field

IMG_0121_zpsca6c651a.jpg

Arrived at permission about 30 mins after, farmer was busy dealing with livestock and waiting for a lorry to arrive, he pointed me in the the right direction and off i went...

Ferreting solo again today and no kelt to help as permission is ferrets only at the moment, hopefully that changes in future, really could have done with kelts help, land would have been ideal for her to get more experience.

Soon i realised i had my work cut out, was alot of holes to net and not enough nets! Atleast it wasnt another overgrown hedge row :D

First few sets i managed to net them all, no rabbits home. The signs outside the sets looked good, only way to know for sure and save time is have a dog mark..

Moved onto a few sets that were all close on the side of hill, i didnt have enough nets to cover them all, i netted many as possible working from top to bottom.

Started to see some action, both albino jill and polecat were both bolting rabbits, also had four young rabbits escape through the spaces in nets. Once i had cleared the sets at the top, i removed the nets and set them further down, fingers crossed no rabbit would bolt from any not netted.

In the end, went home with six rabbits, lost one and two young. Depending on the situation, i sometimes leave the young for another days sport in future, wasnt a option for these two as the ferrets had caught them.

Another good days sport, looking foward to heading down there again sometime.

IMG_0132_zps7b44530b.jpg

Random pics of empty sets and land.

IMG_0124_zpsdd6770c6.jpg

IMG_0125_zps2ab3c364.jpg

IMG_0127_zpse1fb34a2.jpg

IMG_0128_zpsd43a1e52.jpg

IMG_0129_zpsa2b1fc2f.jpg

IMG_0130_zps5f26f400.jpg

IMG_0131_zps66a17791.jpg

Edited by Joe1888
  • Like 4

When working hillside warrens and you don't have enough nets,,,,net all the upper holes,,,and start ferreting at the bottom,,,and stand below the warren,,,the rabbits will more than likely run up hill,,,

Sumtimes if I have two warrens on a bank one below the other,,, I will only net the top one and ferret the bottom one first,,

Of course have the dog with you would be even better cos the dog would either catch them or chase them in to back netting,,,,

Another thing to do is if there's a stone wall close by,,,net lots of the game holes going through,,,or if there's a gate. Put a stop net across,,,doing these little cheats can sometimes save you netting a great warren with loads of holes

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...