Lurcher Breeding / Genes

Things like strike, or in human terms hand eye co-ordination, are likely to have a genetic aspect so if breeding from a lucher having proved their ability will likely increase the chances a pup will have this trait. Having said that well bred unproven animals aren't necessarily a bad bet. Many of the top race horses come from brood mares that never raced but were bred in the purple to be brood mare and the same goes for greyhounds. For me if you have a well bred animal that is tested it has the best of both worlds and would be the sensible way to go.

The genes in a well bred but untested animal don't know they ain't been tested, im not saying make a habit of breeding untested stock, but if the animals breeding is right, and you're in a corner its worth a shot imo?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I aint into looks..   My mrs can cook and clean so she stays...     Shit wrong forum

Things like strike, or in human terms hand eye co-ordination, are likely to have a genetic aspect so if breeding from a lucher having proved their ability will likely increase the chances a pup will h

I had 3 so I must've been really lucky !!

Posted Images

The reason broods are used in race horses etc is that sometimes they are injured or not made the grade,and as they may cost 100k or more they take a foal from them to male a bit back or bring the foal on,

and with greyhounds having big litters makes even more sence,but I shouldn't imagine they wouldn't even try a mare.or bitch before breeding just in case they missed a world beater.

That don't mean it's the best way to go ,with £200 Lurchers,just the money involved with horses and top notch greyhounds makes it uneconomic to just pts an injured investment of thousands.

Ah Facebook, and your surprised at what he's writing???

Your not far wrong there fella, totally agree with you. I'm not on there as myself I said I would never entertain facebook but a good friend if mine went to serve in afghan a few years back and the only way for me to stay I touch with him was to open a facebook account. Since then always used it to look at the complete rubbish that's on there. But your correct,..time to delete the shite

getting a good dog is surely about nature & nurture. you can get a dog thats excellent breeding for the job you want it for but you bring it up wrong, don't put enough time into it then its not going to reach its full potential but the potential was there. if you want a dog that can round up sheep you don't go out & get yourself a terrier do you? could a terrier be trained to round up sheep? well yeah possibly if you put a lot of time & effort in but if you go out & get yourself a border collie you have the natural instincts there already so you can use that & it makes training that dog so much easier. its got to be similar with lurchers surely, you breed from dogs that really aren't that great at catching rabbits the potential in those pups is likely to be lower than the potential in a litter of pups bred from lurchers that are great rabbitters

unfortunately their are a lot of people who will breed just for looks. their are many breeds of dogs that if you look at what they looked like 100 years ago & what they're like now you can barely believe they're the same breed because people stopped breeding them for whatever they had been bred for & started breeding them for looks, this is how you get dogs that can barely breathe because their noses are too short, die young because their brains are too big for their tiny skulls, lose all their teeth by 2 years old because etc

• Like 1

Ah Facebook, and your surprised at what he's writing???

Your not far wrong there fella, totally agree with you. I'm not on there as myself I said I would never entertain facebook but a good friend if mine went to serve in afghan a few years back and the only way for me to stay I touch with him was to open a facebook account. Since then always used it to look at the complete rubbish that's on there. But your correct,..time to delete the shite
It's great for exactly what you are using it for, keeping in touch with people. But these lurcher and terrier pages are the worst thing to happen to hunting and genuine dog men. If everyone tars us with the same brush as 99% of the halfwits on that we are truly feked!
  • Like 1

Interesting that Colby a very famous and successful breeder of pit bulls seen nothing wrong with breeding from a 9month old bitch if it had the right history.. Of course that is a lot diffrent to Hancock who doesnt breed working dogs,he breeds cross breds that are sometimes used for rabbiting.

• Like 1

i got 1 of handcock .collie x grewhound the parents were never hunted but my pup turned out a goodun

You got lucky !

Blimey not half !!! Makesure you keep buying your lotto tickets that's if you haven't already won it of course :)

i got 1 of handcock .collie x grewhound the parents were never hunted but my pup turned out a goodun

You got lucky !

Blimey not half !!! Makesure you keep buying your lotto tickets that's if you haven't already won it of course :)

I know a bloke on his 5th or 6th in 30 odd years.

Every one has made the grade.

• Like 1

You got lucky !

I know a bloke on his 5th or 6th in 30 odd years.

Every one has made the grade.

Theres loads of doubters out there and they're mostly the ones who've never owned one or seen any run, I've seen a few Hancock dogs over the years and as rabbit dogs they've all done a decent job.

The big dog on this pic was a handy animal and turned his paw to most stuff day and night.

post-41061-0-14032400-1411738625_thumb.jpg

If you was looking for a out and out fox dog or a coursing dog then Hancocks yard ain't the place to go, itys really that simple. :thumbs:

• Like 1