Lurcher Breeding / Genes

So I'm having a debate with someone on another lurcher page, basically someone put a photo up of his 10 month saluki x asking what ppl opinions on it was and then said that he would like to put a beddy x over it when it's older. Now this is the point I jumped in and said ffs it's a pup and your banging on about breeding it already, it could turn out fecking useless ! I proceeded to tell the fella that I have a 3 yr old collie x that isn't bad on bunnys but isn't brilliant and for that reason I would never breed her. Then this fella pops up and says just because she's no good on bunnys doesn't mean she pass it on to the pups, he said all that gets passed on is build temperment ect. So I told the fella if you were after a good rabbit dog you wouldn't buy a pup off of 2 dogs that are crap at catching bunnys but look nice and have a lovely temp would you ?!! Basically he's telling me that it's not all about the parents ability ? I told him it's never 100% guaranteed the pup will make the grade but you stand a much better chance getting a pup out of top class dogs that excel at there jobs than 2 sub standard dogs. Now he's told me to keep believing that lol ? I mean come on really ...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I aint into looks..   My mrs can cook and clean so she stays...     Shit wrong forum

Things like strike, or in human terms hand eye co-ordination, are likely to have a genetic aspect so if breeding from a lucher having proved their ability will likely increase the chances a pup will h

I had 3 so I must've been really lucky !!

Posted Images

I asked him this question

Lol okay answer me this one john lets say your looking for a pup, say a rabbit dog. There's two litters litter one both parents are working and proven at catching the bunnys 18/20 catch ratio but not the best looking animals. Then you have litter 2 now these dogs look the business and have numerous rossettes from there ring displays but only 6/20 catch ratio on the bunnys,... Which litter would you take a pup from ?

Some people looks are more important than anything else there was a thread up a while ago and few of the lads said they wouldn't keep a ugly dog even if it was of good breeding and even it was a decent dog there's a song for people like that and it starts like there so vain atb

Things like strike, or in human terms hand eye co-ordination, are likely to have a genetic aspect so if breeding from a lucher having proved their ability will likely increase the chances a pup will have this trait. Having said that well bred unproven animals aren't necessarily a bad bet. Many of the top race horses come from brood mares that never raced but were bred in the purple to be brood mare and the same goes for greyhounds. For me if you have a well bred animal that is tested it has the best of both worlds and would be the sensible way to go.

• Like 4

Not much point arguing with someone who shares a completely different opinion to yourself.

I've learnt that on here over the years.

The guy isn't completely wrong. You could breed 2 shit dogs and produce a world beater. I believe most shit dogs are made not bred.

But you are always better stacking the odds in your favour and using 2 dogs which are excelling at what you want from a pup.

• Like 1

same old question. the genetic make up of the dog / breeding has got to be a major factor. but as we all know there may be very few if any out of a litter that will excel. proper training can make a good dog better. poor training can also fu*k up a great dog.

the genes or make up of a dog may give it great prey drive, instinct and stamina but there's more than that to make a great dog.

i wouldn't fancy chasing a dog round a field all night trying to prise a mangled rabbit from it ( and i've seen it happen).

neither would i fancy a dog that showed a bit of a fancy for sheep ( seen that happen too)

both the above down to bad training ( not mine) and both dogs never saw their second season

He must be on a wind up mate, surely!

I thought that but then I asked if he was on the hunting life to which he replied no it's for c**ts like yourself and robin dell cross carpentmuncher (crobin /fcuk the ban) to which I replied I agree with you about her but I also now after your comments have to put you in the same group as her ! I told him he's on there now as I posted his comments and he was becoming a slight laughing stock. He didn't like that and deleted all his comments after calling me a few more names. So no he wasn't on a wind up lol