German Sheperds

Great dogs i think. They are so easy to train and do a vast arrange of jobs when trained well, not to mention protecting your property ect.

Getting a pup soon, looking forward to it, had one in the passed and proved to be a fantastic dog on all different manner of things.

Who else on here owns them?

Ill get a photo of my pup up as soon as i get her.

I think if bred right and brought up right, they are hard to beat.

The one i had years ago, would hunt up deer all day, she had some stamina!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Due to their paw size they struggle with the trigger.

weird fukka,has a right sneaky way about him,but he keeps folk out for sure

I've had a fair few pass through my door when I helped out a German Shepherd Rescue charity with training the dogs. They are the most noble and loyal of dogs.   I was never asked to provide a nice w

Posted Images

I've had a fair few pass through my door when I helped out a German Shepherd Rescue charity with training the dogs. They are the most noble and loyal of dogs.

I was never asked to provide a nice warm bed for an elderly dog that would be no hassle and just wanted company, it was always dogs that were off their rockers. Had a proper beast of a thing that wouldn't let me get it out the car for when I'd picked it up before it was PTS. A great big GSD x Collie. I spent ages trying to get the bleeding thing out of the car with body language, treats and general words of encouragement. Finally managed to get him out using one of my other dogs and I sighed a deep breath knowing my car wouldn't be wrecked in the morning. Anyway, within 10mins of of being in the home he was ;laid flat out at my feet with my feet on his belly loving life. Next morning I went downstairs and went to open the kitchen door and all hell broke loose. Over night he'd forgotten everything and wouldn't let me in the kitchen for the next couple of days. I spent the weekend sat at the other side of the kitchen door talking to myself and very slowly edging my way inside until he finally accepted me.

After a couple of months he was rehomed to a local couple. I spotted the guy a few months later and walked up to him. The dog came charging over and leapt straight up at me. It's full weight crashed into my chest and bowled me over and I was then attacked lavishly with a slobbering tongue. Any time I tried to get up I was pounced on and pinned down again until the guy came over and pulled it off me.

The bugger was even licking his lips!!

DSC_0490.jpg

The next one was a 6month old pup that had been rehomed to a renowned Champion GSD trainer and competitor in the GSD circles but she'd beaten it with a newspaper etc (old school idiot) and said it was not to be trusted around other dogs. I pretty much snatched the dog off her and sped away when she told me she'd hit her. Not an ounce of negativity came out of that dog at any point when I had her and all she wanted to do was play and learn. A month or two she was rehomed and when I went to leave her with her new owner she went ballistic trying to get to me. You could hear her screaming trying to get to me. I left there in floods of tears. Out of all the dogs I have helped and rehomed she was the one I should have kept and I kick myself for not doing so at the time.

IMG_1472.jpg

• Like 6

That is a lovely account of your experience with the breed hutch. Sounds like they both got good homes in the end, sorry to hear you had to part with the second one,as she sounded like she had bonded with you very well, sad to hear that. She looks a smashing dog in the photo.

Did you ever get one as a pup and kept it for your self?

I never had one as a pup.

Puppies always look really nice and adorable etc but having had one I know they're just a pi$$ing and shi!!ing production line and the circumstances for the last eight years haven't allowed me the time that pups need for toilet breaks etc so I go for dogs of 6months or older if I am keeping one as their control over the messy end is a lot better.

Having to turn dogs around like that is rewarding, very rewarding, but you have to strip them right back and build a bond with them that allows them to rediscover what it is to be a dog again so the bond you do create is very strong as for the first time in their lives perhaps, they feel relaxed and how they should. It's never nice seeing them leave but knowing they are going to a good home helps.

• Like 1

some of the Best gsds = Alsatians are from east/European lines, there are working lines ,good hip,and good temps , the army +police use them today. a lot of uk (show)stuff have bad HD and poor temps(nervous ) . My young dog Buck 28in 1x gsd x grey , his dam e/e working lines 24in strong healthy bitch with nice calm temp, his sire 29in mid distance greyhound (razzmatazz) good stamina with great drive in him. Not had pure Alsatian , but if I wanted this breed I deff go for e/e working lines , or otherwise wouldn't bother , the police+army are of the same opinion .A bloke I know who been on the telly, picks pups for police+army , thinks the same he like Bel mals as well, but said there crap getting in breed as well , its always the same when breeds become popular :yes:

Buck

DSCN0118_zps5f460fe6.jpg

• Like 2

I had my lost my last gsd over ten years ago now. She was £175 with no papers and was probably the best dog I've had. I am currently waiting for Sunday the 28th September for my next gsd to arrive. She is an import from the Czech republic and will be 23 weeks old. it's been a long wait and now I'm getting a bit anxious for her to arrive. I have a reasonable amount of experience with this sort breed having been the 'decoy' for guard work,tracking and obedience training but let's see how she turns out

I had my lost my last gsd over ten years ago now. She was £175 with no papers and was probably the best dog I've had. I am currently waiting for Sunday the 28th September for my next gsd to arrive. She is an import from the Czech republic and will be 23 weeks old. it's been a long wait and now I'm getting a bit anxious for her to arrive. I have a reasonable amount of experience with this sort breed having been the 'decoy' for guard work,tracking and obedience training but let's see how she turns out

hope it works out, them Czech/R are good dogs ,should do well :thumbs:

hope it works out, them Czech/R are good dogs ,should do well :thumbs:

I hope so mate , she is from the jipo me kennel and both parents are titled so she stands a good chance as long as I don't cock it up.

Hutch, that black and tan in the bottom picture looks like a proper old type and judging by the the reaction when you rehomed it you must have made an impression on her.

I lost my Czech GSD male on May 12 to Lymphoma, he would have been ten in August. I bought him direct from Jiri Novotny in Czech Republic, in fact his son Petr delivered him to Dublin personally. My old dog was one in a lifetime, soppy with the family, a great guard, easy to train, tracking, protection work & obedience, he loved them all.

He never saw a vet in his life, didn't even have to clip his nails !

God I miss him.

• Like 1

Love the breed had my butch from pup very loyal ,brilliant protection but soft as shite as well .He would do anything i asked of him i trusted him with my life as he did with me.Saddest day of my life when he passed :cray:but he gave me 11 of the happiest years of my life and hopefully i did to him.Brilliant breed but you must put the time in whilst there young earn his respect and trust and your be rewarded with a fine dog :yes: