Patterdale Vs Jagdterrier Pros And Cons

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I've read on the internet Jadg terriers could fly helicopters if allowed.

Hope you got some spare mink.

it's been a terriers work to kill mink for as long as they have plagued our waterways, and mink carry a nasty bite, if a ferret bites a young dog it will feel it but the damage won't be great. if a mi

Not harm the mink?

yes, the dog will be hunting with a trained mink. The mink will go down rat and squirrel holes, and what the mink doesn't catch, we want to use the dog to catch. A rat colony can easily have a couple dozen rats, so with both the mink and the dog working together, we can catch a lot more of the colony on the first hunt.

Any old terrier will kill rats and squirrels so long as its bred off workers, I think your terrier will get mixed messages though using a mink instead of a ferret, good luck with that, LOL's, I think your mental myself and have since I read your posts on using mink, too many "dicks" like you trying to re invent different ways of hunting when a smoker or a decent ferret would do, mine would kill the f*ck out of that mink along with most other lads dogs, you limit the people that can hunt with you right away, traditional hunting methods have been with us for hundreds of years why change it ?? WM

• Like 3

As long as the terrier is brought knowing the mink isn't prey it will be alright nothing wrong with using a mink they look handy little animals it's his choice at the end of the day personally I would choose the patterdale don't know much about jagds but a patterdale will do the job you want good luck with it mate

it's been a terriers work to kill mink for as long as they have plagued our waterways, and mink carry a nasty bite, if a ferret bites a young dog it will feel it but the damage won't be great. if a mink bites a young dog that will hurt it a lot, all the patterdales i have seen have been hard to break to a ferret, never mind breaking to a mink! any patterdale worth it's salt will dispatch a mink on sight

• Like 3

I've seen some pretty impressive videos a guy in the Midwest made of a trained mink hunting river banks. A friend of mine from Florida went and bought one from him... but sadly I haven't heard how it worked out. Here I'd be just as worried about what lives in the water killing the mink as I would a dog...but I figure the guy who trained the mink to do what I saw was more than capable of breaking a dog off of him. Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

according to two German writers, who had articles in the e d r d magazine, the jagd terriers are fox terriers bred from English stock sent to Germany. i have seen footage of jagd with wiry coats and a fox terrier appearance but others look more like patterdales in the head shape.

i have never seen a jagd, only footage, but to me they hunt the same as any other terrier, all terriers have the same hunting method/style.

border terriers are said to be calmer than excitable Russell's, fells enter faster than borders, lakelands are violent fighters

whilst the sporting Lucas as a gentle nature...but these are differences in personalities and character, once they hunt all terriers have the same style

a good all round terrier can be found in fells, borders, Russell's, jagds, bedlingtons, plummers and cross-breds.. dont get hung up on breeds.

watch a ratting film with all -sorted terriers, russells,, fells, borders, patterdales etc, they all hunt the same .the dog is more important than the breed

just seen jagd pups for sale in England...,£700 for a pup, in the countrymens weakly

kev-medlock crew

• Like 1

Just bought my first jagd terrier from Norfolk..dad of pups top working dog in Hungary,mother is Siberian import..suppose only time will tell very strong hard pup an pretty fearless.looks like mini Doberman ATM being smooth coat

Put some pics up of it, Dobermans are snipey headed which is the last thing you need from a "hard" dog, a hard dog also contravenes the exemption for using a terrier to ground in preservation of game act, use your brain and limit the information you put on an open forum, atb with your pup by the way, WM
  • Like 3