Terriers

Lloyd90

I've yet to see any terrier that will out hunt a beagle...................put I suppose what you define as hunting.

I'm a fan of bushing with terriers But sticking to line of scent you will not beat a good hound !!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember being stood on a hill next to a large patch of thick brambles with the terrier working away with my first beagle pup at 6 months in there for the ride. A bunny popped out and made for safety up the field shortly followed by two seasoned bushers that went half way up the field and then lost the scent and dived back in . I stood in ore as the pup came out a minute later in full cry and stuck to the same line and marked the rabbit in two fields away. I don't ask so much of my pups now but it was all part of the learning process for me.

Watching well trained gun dog picking up high birds especially if they run must be an eye opener .

But when it comes to mooching up a hedgerow with the lurches in tow , I could not ask for anything more than a couple of well trained terriers twisting,diving and driving amid the tangle.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The terriers I work and have worked with are a lot smaller than the cockers that my hunting partner uses. 6-7KG vs 12-14KG. The terriers will go places the cocker can only dream of. The terrier has a

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog. I was me

I've yet to see any terrier that will out hunt a beagle...................put I suppose what you define as hunting.   I'm a fan of bushing with terriers But sticking to line of scent you will not b

A mate of mine tried a beagle cross in his pack , and it was a great worker , the trouble was that it did take a line well , but on game rich ground was a real pain , he was dragging the rest of the pack well ahead before we had hunted what was near us . The other problem he had was that it was noisy in the kennel which did not make him popular with the neighbours . But we did have some cracking sport with him .

• 5 weeks later...

you cannot compare beagles to terriers...they have different styles of hunting, as do spaniels.

terriers have high head carriage, spaniels have mid-range head carriage ,and beagles have low head carriage. which means they all have a different hunting style.

to say terriers are not as good has beagles are at hunting the line, or tracking, is to totally miss the point of how terriers hunt. terriers have their own style, as do spaniels.