Single Dog Bushing

Which breed or crosses are best for bushing, just one dog and one man after a few bunnies etc? Do the spaniel and spaniel crosses catch as much as the terriers or do they tend to be better for flushing to lurchers? are whippet type lurchers able to get through the cover and find aswell as the smaller dogs? I know every dog has its strengths and weaknesses, if you could have only one little bushing companion what would you go for?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was to go bushing with only one dog then it would have to be a dog I liked...then it'd be easier to come home smiling if we came home with nothing in the bag.

two of the best bushing dogs iv had find a rabbit in the desert these two

tatsblisters your post takes me back, we hunted the pits as youngsters, round the pit yard as the men went about there work on the pit top, no health and safety in them days, dogs were collected on r

Posted Images

It's the dog that suits the man what x suits people in different ways my spaniel x don't catch many but flush plenty to the lurchers would I want them to catch more no it's fun seeing them graft to get the rabbits to bolt

• Like 4

i would go for a whirrier less chance of it going to ground. and more chance of it catching . also better for the odd ferretting trip

post-2078-0-58516800-1406624121_thumb.jpg

terrier/whippet. smashes most cover. but i still need a terrier for really tight cover. brambles can have the little lurchers in a right old muddle. it wouldnt be the first time ive had to go in and cut him out of them.

• Like 4

Yup, definitely a whirrier: something small enough to get into cover easily, with a thick skin, good nose, masses of drive and enough speed to nab bunnies at the edge of cover after a run in from the open as well.

You're right willow: even a wonder dog can't be everywhere at once: the reason my dogs catch so many rabbits out mooching along hedgerow is due to their numbers: two or three little dogs in cover panic the rabbits even if they can't catch them, and two or three lurchers on the outside make sure that not a lot get away if they do bolt.

If I had to have just one dog out of my current crop I'd keep my 24" Airedale lurcher: she gets into cover like a small terrier, catches in cover as well as out of it, and all because she's totally, fanatically, desperate to find and catch, and coupled with an exceptional brain and prey sense. I've never seen drive like it in any other dog I've owned except another much smaller lurcher many years ago. Sometimes you're lucky enough to get a dog that has it all, but they don't come around very often.

• Like 3

A good all round mooching/rabbiting dog won't have its head stuck down a hole unless you have ferrets with you. Dogs that know the score will only mark a hole if they're actually out ferreting, not bushing or mooching about.

A good all round mooching/rabbiting dog won't have its head stuck down a hole unless you have ferrets with you. Dogs that know the score will only mark a hole if they're actually out ferreting, not bushing or mooching about.

its funny how they no when your ferreting and just mooching :thumbs:

bushing isn't rocket science the basics is a terrier a hound or a spaniel or a combination of any them, that ok if you want killed the odd one an scare a few. To increase the bag you need a lurcher one that can take a knock an one that has an understanding of the bushing dogs job, He a bit like lord who ever an his team beaters they do the dirty work an he gets his photo in the shooting times...You cant have cant have the complete package all rolled into one

• Like 1