Help Dog Losing Interest

Can someone offer up any advice, my two year old lurcher seems to have lost the drive to actually catch. He'll do the leg work and chase but seems to give up once he's close enough, or sometimes he doesn't chase at all. Last season he was spot on. I don't want to give up on him as he really seemed to enjoy it right up until end if season this year. Any help would be useful. I'm wondering whether it's worth getting him back out with an experienced dog as we did as a pup to show him the way again?

It's possible he's carrying an injury to his neck or back: see a good Greyhound vet or good bone man. Here's a link someone put up of vets and bone men:

http://www.questhousekennels.co.uk/info/page8/page8.html

yeh be worth getting the looked over to be on the safe side. if ok I would leave him off till sep then take him out with another dog on some easy rabbits, let the other dog get couple 1st , then watch your dog reaction to it, if he up for it give him a slip on his own after .But you got make his catches as easy for him as possible , only put him on what you think easy catch (no) long slips or you back to square 1 . if this still no good you might have to let him go as a pet,? but try all these things 1st :yes:

My saluki x whippet did exactly the same thing mate at about that age, give him to someone else not to work but to just chill and he is away from you for a week or so and have no contact with him and when u get him back just take him out for a walk on his own be overly nice to him no bollockins then when the season actually starts take him bushing or ferreting a couple of times before u go lamping with another dog and if u have got another dog that u can slip while holding the other one in other hand that would be better, don't let him have a run for first few nights then let let him have 1 run one night and leave it at that don't worry about the catch or retrieve yet, it's just common sense mate just slowy slowy catch a monkey, that's what worked for my dog and he is now running with a do or die attitude not saying it gonna work for urs but it's worth a try, how is he bred mate ?

• Like 1

You never answered whether you've been running him in all this hot weather, easiest way to sicken a good dog especially if its got coat (rough), lay him off for a few weeks and just walk him morning and night, don't shout at him or he'll pick up on your mood and you'll never get anything out of him again, good luck, WM

• Like 1

Don't run the dog anymore until you have had it checked as if it has an injury that it most likely has and it's hurting the dong when it's running the dog will start to relate pain with the running a rabbit ect.....

Get the dog checked over by a good bone man.

My mate had the same issue last season.