The Border Collie

I grew up with a non descript collie type cur for a hunting dog, and was always out mooching, or shooting with him, was ok for fur and feather..

Ive seen plenty with very bad traits for working dogs, but the good ones are super dogs... if you get on well with it, its friendly and obedient, and willing to work for you, and it fits into your team, then you might have a good prospect for a hunting dog.

Good luck

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My missed collies...can be very rewarding dogs to work with...not for all though         I've always got my kicks from watching my dogs work more than the size of the bag which confuses som

Field Marshall you have read the topic title and answered the lad's question perfect.. why can't folk do the same.. i know it's not relevant BUT comment's like there too heavy/ too head strong and so

Could always do some of this...                                                              

Posted Images

thanks for the comments lads. will give it a bash if even only a bit of fun haha

what you got to lose mate,and its got to be better for the dog than a run in the park, the more you put in front of it the more it will have a better life,atb mc

My missed collies...can be very rewarding dogs to work with...not for all though

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

I've always got my kicks from watching my dogs work more than the size of the bag which confuses some people.

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 10

RussBoy, although my three are kelpies rather than collies, I'd guess the build, agility and speed are probably fairly similar and I don't think I've ever caught a rabbit with them in the open. It's always either hedge bottom, bush, brambles, rushes or, on one occasion, under a water trough.

There will always be those who criticise collies for not trying but I've found that the difference is that although they know when not to try (which is what understandably irritates some people so much), they also know when to try and in different ways which is why I've caught more in the aforementioned locations with my kelpies than I previously did with lurchers.

Russboy, as Neal has said. On the lamp they used to catch the up and down the hedgerow rabbit and squatter. Quick to learn ferreting and almost some how knew to tip toe around catching most within yards of the net.....if not in most cases would escape.

Both of mine were a pleasure to work, both having different strengths. The smaller bitch had what I would call good field craft and was a joy to watch work. She would work any cover and was very agile....also a very jealous bitch.....she would hunt for a scent regardless of how little scent was about.

The male would lamp well and could last well, he learned to some how throw the rabbit away from cover....or that's what it looked like..... In the day time if there wasn't much scent about he would not be too bothered about hunting and find a stone to play with, but if ferreting would concentrate on it all day long.....they have so much to give and it makes catching a rabbit a worth while challenge.

My finely tuned little lurcher has all on to match some rabbits around here (speed wise)...never mind a border collie.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

Interesting thread guys.

Wuyang... are you the guy with the spaniel x greyhound? If so, how's it coming on?

Hi Mustelid, been doing great ( bloke said it was a greyhound, but in the real world a big smooth haired lurcher), very clever bitch and covers a lot of ground which I wanted, also does a lot of air scenting. Just been slowly bringing her along as a mooching dog. Unfortunately she's been lame on her front right, holding her paw up....stranglely on the only day I didn't get to take her out. Vet said its a shoulder injury, I've been resting her the last two weeks and now she's not showing any signs of limping, so just slow short walks at the moment, keeping my fingers crossed.

The only other problem is she's stuffing with her tail end bleeding a lot, been advised by the vet if it's no better she may have to have it amputated to a 3rd of the length. Not ideal, but if it's in her health's interest then it'll have to be done.

She's more of a grafter than an out and out sprinter, but she's certainly not slow. Looking foward to next season with her.

I posted a few pics etc on the bushing section, page 2 or 3, clouds n silver linings by arctic gun.

Cheers wuyang

Edited by wuyang