Pups After There 1St Weetabix

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why weetabix??? Surely meat would be better??? Never understood folk who feed or wean pups on cereal....

iv my pups on them an i have the kids on gain puppy an sapling they love it lol

Nae offence gaffer, but cos it's way you always done it don't make it right or good for pups, I know you've took a bit a shite about this litter, an that ain't my intention, they look well enough but

Posted Images

Not wanting to get between you and Gaz Socks, recon you can look after yourself but a comment you made in answer to him linked cancer to food, basically more cancers linked to meat then cereals. Lots of hearsay about completes etc causing cancers but its made up rubbish. Alas raw feeding supporters make a rod for thier own back time and again by repeating erroneous info.

To all in general; Dogs aren't wolves lol. Dogs aren't wild lol.

Skycat you must have fed em pretty bad, Guide dogs, about 15000 a year in the uk alone, are fed, weaned on completes and they have no such problems,. Most big greyhound rearing concerns use a complete as all or part of the diet and they have no problems.

Me I'm all for balance in diet, meat, cereal, veg.

Gotta say i'm with Sandy too, nowt wrong with a bit of sloppy weetabix and milk for a easy to hand puppies first go. Not like its gonna be their staple is it...

All this cancer bollox with certain foods too... Feck off, how long does that take to manifest, how old is the dog gonna be.... Your far more likely to kill a dog working it than feeding it a crappy cereal diet...!

Perspective.... Long ago I had my first lurcher, couldn't live in our little house so my aged Great Aunt kept it four doors down. She was born at the turn of the last century, no dog food way back then, so very little to my dear dog. Sandy (the dog!) got a tin of Chappie if I used my pocket money to buy it, when I thought about it! Other than that she got kitchen scraps and when times were hard, she foraged in the bin lined back alleys. That mutt could open any bin! I worked her none stop, in the worst of conditions, as only a mad keen kid can. She was never wormed either but always looked in the best of health, better than most dogs I've fed the very best too... Go figure..!!

I honestly think people think to long and hard about grub and there is ten ton of snobbery attached to it too.... Its a dog, it'll thrive on the worst of diets, so just keep it simple, feed well but feed a variety thats simple and cheap, how fecking hard is that...?

Bosun I think it's all snowballed again from a couple of lads saying

Feeding a bit of mince is better than wetabix and because the first that said it happened to be, hot meat ,it became a massive issue,

Of course feeding wetabix isn't going to harm the dog ,I don't remember that being said.Just that meat would be better,Just another thread gone tits up to people taking each other's replies to the extremes.mad

• Like 2

Your pups and you can feed them how you like,lots of a Greyhound men feed them on bread and Weetabix in a morning. However cereal is not part of a natural dogs diet and seen as most dogs are Wheat intolerant it can in some dogs cause skin problems due to raising the dogs blood temperature. Problems such as hot spots on certain areas of the body,dandruff and bald spots,dog constantly itching,sore ears. Same things can be caused by giving certain dogs a meal based diet. I had a dog in a good while ago that was giving to me as it was always chewing its pads off and the lad had tried all sorts to fettle it. I got it and all me dogs are on a natural diet and the dog never chewed the pads off again. I gave the dog back to me mate and told him it was fine,he'd been feeding it on bread and meal I later found out.

Go on google and search " canine cereal diseases" lots more problems caused by feeding cereals.

Edited by MickC

Gotta say i'm with Sandy too, nowt wrong with a bit of sloppy weetabix and milk for a easy to hand puppies first go. Not like its gonna be their staple is it...

All this cancer bollox with certain foods too... Feck off, how long does that take to manifest, how old is the dog gonna be.... Your far more likely to kill a dog working it than feeding it a crappy cereal diet...!

Perspective.... Long ago I had my first lurcher, couldn't live in our little house so my aged Great Aunt kept it four doors down. She was born at the turn of the last century, no dog food way back then, so very little to my dear dog. Sandy (the dog!) got a tin of Chappie if I used my pocket money to buy it, when I thought about it! Other than that she got kitchen scraps and when times were hard, she foraged in the bin lined back alleys. That mutt could open any bin! I worked her none stop, in the worst of conditions, as only a mad keen kid can. She was never wormed either but always looked in the best of health, better than most dogs I've fed the very best too... Go figure..!!

I honestly think people think to long and hard about grub and there is ten ton of snobbery attached to it too.... Its a dog, it'll thrive on the worst of diets, so just keep it simple, feed well but feed a variety thats simple and cheap, how fecking hard is that...?

Good post.ive always been interested in WW1 and 2 dogs they lived for years on scraps none of this bullshit as well about booster jabs and worming crap.we had a dog years ago lived on that omega it whole life got 16yr out of it.

pal of mine got 17 years out his patterdales lived in a shed with hay was fed chub rolls lol.

• Like 1

Chappie, good stuff for a dog with an upset tummy so can't be all bad. As with Bosun I fed my fist dog on tinned food, whatever was cheap. I worked it hard as long lads do and it was one of the best I've owned in many ways.

I /we can do better now but all the holier than thou stuff of I feed mine best beef etc??????

As to cereal causing health issues, MickC, again very rare in comparison to meat so ?????? What about you start a topic on cereals causing harm and we can discuss it there, you'll get plenty of support :thumbs: I’ll get a little amusement.

So back to a balanced diet for man and dog

• Like 1