Sensible Sub 12 Airgun Range

I mainly shoot sitting, with my leading fore arm rested against my right leg. On targets, I'm pretty confident out to 50 - 60 yds on a still day, but mainly 45yds max on quarry and unsupported standing, well, the less said about how bad am at that, the better!

• Like 1

40 yards for me on any living creature, not because I can't shoot any further, but because your shooting something living, so you wan't it dead first shot, there is nothing worse than winging something then having to put in another rushed shot to finish it off. I save the large cock stuff for targets and plinking ;)

• Like 4

i think 30 40 yrds is an easy shot any anyone who shoots live quarry should be able to shoot at this range comfortably as said near on everyone zero is 30 yrds my next half mill is 43 then 50 first mill dot so at 50 its not like youve holding over 4

Ive got a little bet going on with someone on the bank holiday weekend , that has openly stated he regularly shoots rabbits at 50yds , head shots , with sub 12 .22. Same person has said 80 yds isnt out of his range .

Now i have said a 50 yd , one inch target will be set out ,and ranged.

4 anding shots

4 kneeling shots

4 prone shots

in that order will be taken .

Each hit means i have a drink ( its probably going to be Polish Wodka)

each miss , means the shooter will have one .

This is a "put your money where your mouth is "

Or

"Talk the talk , then walk the walk "

Bet , BUT IT IS ALL IN GOOD FUN .

Ill let you know how his hangover goes :lol:

• Like 5

S

Ive got a little bet going on with someone on the bank holiday weekend , that has openly stated he regularly shoots rabbits at 50yds , head shots , with sub 12 .22. Same person has said 80 yds isnt out of his range .
Now i have said a 50 yd , one inch target will be set out ,and ranged.
4 anding shots
4 kneeling shots
4 prone shots
in that order will be taken .
Each hit means i have a drink ( its probably going to be Polish Wodka)
each miss , means the shooter will have one .

This is a "put your money where your mouth is "

Or

"Talk the talk , then walk the walk "

Bet , BUT IT IS ALL IN GOOD FUN .

Ill let you know how his hangover goes :lol:

Sounds like everyones a winner :boogy::boogy::boogy:

As Mick and Craig have said,

Some talk the talk and some can actually do the walk as well :laugh: if you know your set up with the years of practice

shoot at the ranges your comfortable at ;)

If not confident bring the ranges closer till you are.

• Like 1

Im not saying nowt i know what im capable of and what i can do and witnessed by more than one member on here but i would not take that kind of shot again im getting older and my eye site is not that good eny more as im diabetic and it now affects my eyes even with my glasses on now i just get as close as i can some times to close atvbmac :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

70 yds ... ..... i cant even run that let alone know how far it is !

it goes back as we grow up ........ mine is bigger than yours !

my dad is bigger than your dad !

if its too good to be true etc , the proof is in the pudding !

cheers

• Like 1

It seems there's a bit of "one upmanship" going around on the fb airgun groups.

The past week I have noticed a few posts with claims of quarry shot at range. The distances claimed have started around the 45 yd mark then steadily increased to 56 yd 62 yd etc. to a spectacular 77 yd unsupported shot.

I have shot with lads who I know are capable of achieving such distance at targets with a sub 12.

I also shoot with lads who would not entertain shooting quarry past 40 yds. And that's not because they can't.

Is 70 plus yds an acceptable range to be shooting quarry?

yu cant just say whats sensable? and leave the question so wide open that even the kid with the dummy can spit it out and have a rant lol.

point one..king ratty? sencable for whome? pro of 30 odd years or noddy of 4 airgun mags and bought it last week?

next is oooo nicely fettled, well tuned gun with the actual pellets that can do it and were used to tune the gun?

in order of noddywith crapputh to pro with a golden gun

not at all for hunting...

middlish, average gun average pellets dun a bit..30-35 yard IF they can hit

and.....theres a limit on the power, even after all the tweeks and add ons, 75 yard is pushing out to very far away... i've dun further on feather to yardages i dont wish to repeat etc etc.. taint how far you can hit (when you shoot like you can walk) its how far the gun will actualy drop it.. deads dead wether or not it kicked one or five times.. the rest is here say by the bye gone and my dads bigger un yours.

i've done 72 yarders 75 yarder many many a 65 yarder... when i'm on form i set up for 30 ish to 65 ish... when i'm having a bad hair day/ rusty new start...up to 45 is seriously on no probs etc etc etc.

taint how far you can hit its far will that set up kill.

now in airgun jargon..

oooo your so irrisponcably dangerous your need to be totaly insecure and zero a 2 inch group at 25 meters fully prone....and never hunt more than 30?? (bollocks).

faise one is how far can you hit

faise two is how many times do you hit it at however far

faise three is how far will it kill.

add it up and asking for a general ball park figure how good are you? theres yu distance.

Edited by ghillies
  • Like 1