Pics Of Your Bushing Dogs

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couple more of ours     first pic sire and dam in middle with 2 pups either side second pic mother middle pups either side

fell/russell/beagle/bull... . are some folk trying to reinvent the wheel.            

Old pic I have .1980 ish 

Posted Images

Few of my bushers

F797E744-5F8F-42BB-ACF8-31BCE43972AE_zps

98EC4A02-3088-4630-933C-177607A73DF5_zps

FCE6FA66-CC7E-4CD0-9B64-2C16C194EEF1_zps

as said ,lovely borders them mate ,what x is the black dog

Shes a springer spaniel x rotweiler nobody ever belives me but i got her of a gamekeeper i know.

Just goes to show you can x a spaniel with almost anything and get a useful worker, nice strong bitch that mate :thumbs:

Few of my bushers

Shes a springer spaniel x rotweiler nobody ever belives me but i got her of a gamekeeper i know.

Just goes to show you can x a spaniel with almost anything and get a useful worker, nice strong bitch that mate :thumbs:

They were a total accident he went on holiday when is bitch was on heat and his mum was looking after the dogs while he was away and she let them out together so the inevitable happened. Dam was the spaniel and sire was the rottie he had trained his rottie to do a bit of flushing and that sort of thing i dont think it would have fit in on a shooting day thought. I got laughed at the first time i took her to his shoot until i showed them what she could do they soon shut up after that haha.

• Like 1

Some of the lads had doubts when we decided to breed whippet x spaniels, fair points like putting a good nose on the leg and not being able to get it back lol, but its not worked out like that. Totally sold on the spaniel x's now, wouldn't have anything else. I doubt ill have many more working dogs, but they'll be spaniel x's bred out of my bitch, runners or bushers :thumbs:

• Like 1

Some of the lads had doubts when we decided to breed whippet x spaniels, fair points like putting a good nose on the leg and not being able to get it back lol, but its not worked out like that. Totally sold on the spaniel x's now, wouldn't have anything else. I doubt ill have many more working dogs, but they'll be spaniel x's bred out of my bitch, runners or bushers :thumbs:

Can your whippet x spaniels catch in the open? I would love to see some of them working. Did you use a cocker or springer? I think a spaniel brings more to the table than it takes away in my opinion.

Few of my bushers

years ago there was a bitch collie x spaniel x staff lakeland that worked up and down the country with a few lads on the site ppl still talk about her JENNY TRYING TO FIND A PIC OF HER do everything from digging 10 feet to ferreting a ACE in everything she done black and white bitch

• Like 6

Can your whippet x spaniels catch in the open? I would love to see some of them working. Did you use a cocker or springer? I think a spaniel brings more to the table than it takes away in my opinion.

She's about as fast as an average rabbit mate, maybe a bit faster because she does seem to gain ground on a rabbit in the open if its a long enough run, but we never bred them to be catch dogs. Sire was only 19" 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy, and dam is from a strain of small springers just bred for hard bushing by a mate, another dose of running blood and the pups would catch no problem imo. My bitch and her sister are light/agile dogs, very fast reflexes, to the right whippet based stud the pups should be very capable catch dogs on paper? I totally agree with spaniel bringing a lot to the table, i don't see why you couldn't use spaniel blood the same way we use collie blood to create lurchers?

• Like 2

She's about as fast as an average rabbit mate, maybe a bit faster because she does seem to gain ground on a rabbit in the open if its a long enough run, but we never bred them to be catch dogs. Sire was only 19" 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy, and dam is from a strain of small springers just bred for hard bushing by a mate, another dose of running blood and the pups would catch no problem imo. My bitch and her sister are light/agile dogs, very fast reflexes, to the right whippet based stud the pups should be very capable catch dogs on paper? I totally agree with spaniel bringing a lot to the table, i don't see why you couldn't use spaniel blood the same way we use collie blood to create lurchers?

What about lab or pointer?

No idea about Pointers mate, so i can't comment on them. A mate had a Lab x whippet or more likely x grew, years ago, more of a busher than a lurcher, but a hell of a dog, strong whippet body and a square type Lab head, he did everything, smartest dog iv'e ever seen. I had him in mind when we thought about breeding the Spaniel x Whippets, i wanted that type of busher, and they are similar in a lot of ways, he was a bit steadier than my bitch.

Is there anything she does that a pure spaniel can't do? In other words is there any advantage to using this cross as a busher over a full spaniel?

Hard question really mate, i suppose it depends on what you want from the dog, i can "read" her like a book, and i can't read spaniels, she only works a scent, unlike spaniels that work for a scent, that's a big bonus for me, this is just my opinion because iv'e never owned a pure spaniel, but i can control her better than a pure. I only mooch about with the bitch/lurcher and catty, so if she just goes smashing in all the time i wouldn't get a shot, then you want her to bush hard sometimes, iv'e got a fair balance of the two with her, better than i could with a pure i reckon? Don't get me wrong, if i worked loads of heavy cover i'd go for a pure or terrier x spaniel maybe, but this bitch suits me.

• Like 1

Hard question really mate, i suppose it depends on what you want from the dog, i can "read" her like a book, and i can't read spaniels, she only works a scent, unlike spaniels that work for a scent, that's a big bonus for me, this is just my opinion because iv'e never owned a pure spaniel, but i can control her better than a pure. I only mooch about with the bitch/lurcher and catty, so if she just goes smashing in all the time i wouldn't get a shot, then you want her to bush hard sometimes, iv'e got a fair balance of the two with her, better than i could with a pure i reckon? Don't get me wrong, if i worked loads of heavy cover i'd go for a pure or terrier x spaniel maybe, but this bitch suits me.

thats all that matters that the bitch suits you BUT them cover dogs that are looking for gear find more ive had both in the styles of working cover and they some times pull it out the bag BUT as long as they bolt gear there working well :thumbs:

I think iv'e worded the last post badly tbh Willow, sold the bitch a bit short really. When i say "she only works a scent" i meant in tighter cover, like brambles, she covers loads of ground looking for gear, never stops, but she wont work the heavy stuff unless there's a scent, i can make her work cover if i think she's missing one, but its not very often the bitch is wrong, and i'm right if you get me. Like i said earlier, if you work big patches of cover that needs a good knocking out, she probably wouldn't suit you, but if that's what she was used to doing i wouldn't be surprised if she adapted to it pretty well?

I think iv'e worded the last post badly tbh Willow, sold the bitch a bit short really. When i say "she only works a scent" i meant in tighter cover, like brambles, she covers loads of ground looking for gear, never stops, but she wont work the heavy stuff unless there's a scent, i can make her work cover if i think she's missing one, but its not very often the bitch is wrong, and i'm right if you get me. Like i said earlier, if you work big patches of cover that needs a good knocking out, she probably wouldn't suit you, but if that's what she was used to doing i wouldn't be surprised if she adapted to it pretty well?

allways trust them there most of the time right

i let them check each others work walking hedges and cover with age comes steadyness once you learn there mark :thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2