Feeding Crows To Ferrets

what would ye lads think about feeding rooks and jackdaws to ferrets i never fed them to um but would you think it would be alright thay would be breasted before i give them to um

Edited by pure game

Should be fine when fed as part of a varied diet. Like you say, breast, pluck or skin them first cos the feathers get everywhere when fed whole , and if you have a few ferrets you need more birds = more feathers. You should freeze them for a couple of weeks to kill parasites too.

nothing eats rooks not even rats :laugh::laugh:

we used to have a herd of free range pigs on the estate every rook for miles came to them was some good sport when a dead rook hit the floor the pigs would fight for it they used to stand on a wing pull them apart and eat the body.

nothing eats rooks not even rats :laugh::laugh:

we used to have a herd of free range pigs on the estate every rook for miles came to them was some good sport when a dead rook hit the floor the pigs would fight for it they used to stand on a wing pull them apart and eat the body.

a few years ago we shot a very big bag of rooks and woodies, we left the rooks in a hedge, they took weeks if not months to rot away, but every missed pigeon was just a feather splat over night :laugh::laugh:

I've fed mine quite a few jackdaws this spring which I caught in my Larson trap. I rough pluck them and cut off the wings at the first joint to reduce the mess from all the feathers. Mine don't seem over keen on Maggies, but they'll eat them if hungry enough. I suppose it's good to vary their diet with a bit of natural stuff. Check for left-overs in their sleeping quarters after a day or two in case they don't clean-up, as this will result in maggots in summer.

• Like 1