Pup Retreiving Issue !!

My pup is 13 weeks old now and she is brill at retreiving a ball 8 out of ten times she brings back with prob at all thought id try her with a small rabbit dummy . . And she chases it and where ever it falls she just lies down and chews it no matter how much i call her even tried treats . Shes not bored she just wants it for her self i think lol . Shes a salukixbullxgreyxirishwheaton out of the pikeys poacher paddy

Keep going with the ball until she's retrieving every time perfectly, still got ages to train her yet so just take your time and practice that as well as the other basics each day. A few more months and the rabbit dummy should be fine for her to retrieve and she'll know what you want her to do with it.

My pup is 13 weeks old now and she is brill at retreiving a ball 8 out of ten times she brings back with prob at all thought id try her with a small rabbit dummy . . And she chases it and where ever it falls she just lies down and chews it no matter how much i call her even tried treats . Shes not bored she just wants it for her self i think lol . Shes a salukixbullxgreyxirishwheaton out of the pikeys poacher paddy

leave the fur dummy for a bit, just let her play with the ball, and keep on with recall training, try her again on the dummy month time.All you got to remember is don't make retrieving a choir for any pup. My young dog Buck brings back rabbits live from any distance had them from 80-150yds lamping , brings right into you , but does hold on to them lol better suppose than putting them down to run off again :laugh: . With him didn't do much retrieve work, maybe the odd ball, didn't bother with fur dummy. But done loads of recall training +stays , nothing in his mouth . when it comes to live stuff anyway they forget most stuff with 1st catches to start with, just keep up with recall every day :thumbs:

Bring the pups bed to the bottom of your sofa and sit of it, buzz it up with the dummy in its bed then toss it a short distance and with a bit of lucky it should bring it back to its bed where you will be waiting to take it off it and praise it! But don't snatch it off it atb

I find every dog is different and there's not necessarily a hard and fast best way to teach/encourage retrieving. My old kelpie was forever picking things up and bringing them to me and this naturally progressed to him retrieving live game and my current pup looks like being the same (touch wood). However, I've had lurchers which flatly refused to show any interest but when they started catching, not only did they retrieve it but also, some then started retrieving other things like balls etc. It's almost as though they couldn't see the point until they had a reason to do it. But, on the other hand you could argue that putting in the basics in the early days is more likely to pay dividends.

Edited by Neal