Bogof ! Not Any More !

Fukc all gets wasted in my house ... If we don't eat it the dogs ferrets chickens ducks or pigs eat it ... Oh and I do like to feed the red kites on the field opposite my house ... The keeper loves that :boogy: ..........

Same here, no pigs, but the hens get all waste food.... but remember; the EU passed a law in this country making it illegal to feed kitchen waste to domestic fowl !!

The law only bans the feeding of meat or meat products to vegetarian animals, so as long as there's no meat or bones in the waste you're OK to feed it to hens (or pigs for that matter). Swill bins aren't collected any more because most places can't guarantee that their waste is totally meat-free.

Edited by Blackbriar

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fukc all gets wasted in my house ... If we don't eat it the dogs ferrets chickens ducks or pigs eat it ... Oh and I do like to feed the red kites on the field opposite my house ... The keeper loves th

I worked at Asda to pay my way through college, and the amount that got chucked (and still does) is awful. The worst was over Christmas, when the shop used to be shut Christmas day & Boxing day. A

Of course nothing gets wasted in your household poor Cheeks struggles to feed everyone else ya walking dustbin :laugh:

Fukc all gets wasted in my house ... If we don't eat it the dogs ferrets chickens ducks or pigs eat it ... Oh and I do like to feed the red kites on the field opposite my house ... The keeper loves that :boogy: ..........

Same here, no pigs, but the hens get all waste food.... but remember; the EU passed a law in this country making it illegal to feed kitchen waste to domestic fowl !!

The law only bans the feeding of meat or meat products to vegetarian animals, so as long as there's no meat or bones in the waste you're OK to feed it to hens (or pigs for that matter). Swill bins aren't collected any more because most places can't guarantee that their waste is totally meat-free.

Are pigs not omnivores ......

Bang to rights - fair point Socks ! Shouldn't have said 'vegetarian'...............( but if you want to split hairs, your sentence should end with a question mark ! :tongue2: )

Edited by Blackbriar

Bang to rights - fair point Socks ! Shouldn't have said 'vegetarian'...............( but if you want to split hairs, your sentence should end with a question mark ! :tongue2: )

Fair one I should have said ... Pigs ARE omnivores lol ... So as long as you don't feed them pork you should be able to feed them anything else .......

AndyH, on 06 Apr 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

I worked at Asda to pay my way through college, and the amount that got chucked (and still does) is awful. The worst was over Christmas, when the shop used to be shut Christmas day & Boxing day. Anything that went out of date on Boxing day had to be chucked on Christmas eve, even though it was still fine.

I spoke with the local homeless shelter about coming to collect what would be binned anyway so they could give folks a decent Christmas dinner, but when I spoke to the bosses they went mental & told me I'd be sacked and done for theft. I rang up head office & was told the same; put £3,000 of perfectly edible food in the compactor or lose your job & get nicked too. It still gets me fuming 10yrs down the line.

At work we have to log what is left at the end of the day, but if one of us was caught eating so much as a nugget that was already destined for the bin, we'd get the sack.....

Daft!!

I worked at Asda to pay my way through college, and the amount that got chucked (and still does) is awful. The worst was over Christmas, when the shop used to be shut Christmas day & Boxing day. Anything that went out of date on Boxing day had to be chucked on Christmas eve, even though it was still fine.

I spoke with the local homeless shelter about coming to collect what would be binned anyway so they could give folks a decent Christmas dinner, but when I spoke to the bosses they went mental & told me I'd be sacked and done for theft. I rang up head office & was told the same; put £3,000 of perfectly edible food in the compactor or lose your job & get nicked too. It still gets me fuming 10yrs down the line.

At work we have to log what is left at the end of the day, but if one of us was caught eating so much as a nugget that was already destined for the bin, we'd get the sack.....

Daft!!

Daft!!

i knew you`d be on when you saw bogof and food ....

It's not that though, that waste food could be arranged to be sent to a local charity or something. Or someone could come and pick it up, might not be a lot but it'll feed someone!

• Like 2

The best way to become more aware of the issues around food waste is to produce some yourself.

Before we moved, I did it on a large scale - we hardly ever bought vegetables. I kept hens, ducks and quails for eggs and the odd bit of meat.

I've only got a very small paved garden now, but I bought a little greenhouse and grow tomatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers, courgettes, salad and herbs. Everyone can grow something - use pots, buckets, old food cans, Pot noodle-type pots, anything filled with compost or good soil will do !

My point is this - if you produce something yourself, you learn and appreciate the effort that went into that food, you have a vested interest in it and, therefore, you are much less likely to waste it !

Off ata bit of a tangent, but anyway..........................

I remember seeing a shocking example of how far removed from the food supply we are becoming. One of the TV chefs (can't remember which one) was talking to a class of 9 - year olds, and he asked them a few questions about how food is produced. Nearly all of the children said they liked chicken nuggets, but a third of them did not know that the chicken was once alive ! :blink::icon_eek:

Spot on with the above comments Blackbriar. We have to learn to appreciate FOOD again & thats begins at home & shcool ( I remember that we had a large veggie garden at school & used the produce !). We all have to make an effort everyday by staying out of the supermarkets ( I'm shooting myself in the foot here as I sell direct to them !! ), buy Local, get an allotment, keep some chocks instead of a F.......ing cat ! , find out about all your Local farmers,CSA's, etc, find out about Slowfood & all the other groups who surport real food,it dos'nt cost anymore than the SHIT in the sipermarkets !!

I do very little shopping in the supermarkets ... stuff like washing up liquid & washing powder I have to get from places like Tesco , I just look for what I buy when its on an offer... but there again if they can afford to reduce a bottle of washing liquid from 8 quid to 4 quid why isnt it 4 quid all the time

Most of the supermarkets have stopped doing bogof offers of perishable goods now anyway

I agree wasting anything is bad, but surely what we do with our hard earned (taxed) money is or business. It's not down to a an out of touch bunch of fuddy-duddies to decide for me.

Typical bloody south easterner, got that much money you can afford to chuck half of it in the bin.. :tongue2:

Not the point. :D I have to work (reasonably) hard for my money and then spend it on petrol to drive to the supermarket to buy overpriced stuff. What I do with that stuff is surely no-one's business but mine. If I want to buy 4lbs of fillet steak and flush it straight down the toilet (cutting out the middle man so to speak) I should be able to.

Not that I would, but I don't want every aspect of my life controlled by the government or its advisors.