Breaking Dog To Ferrerts

My dog used to lets ferrets walk over him when he was lay down but a young kit I had gave him a nip on his bolloxs now he stays well clear of them, if a ferret runs his was he will avoid it. If a rabbit comes outa whole with ferret attached the dog will still pick the rabbit up and carry it.

Sometimes your dogs and ferrets mix with each other accidentally..... this winter I came home from work 1 day to find the pup barking his head off, which was strange, so i went to look- there was 1 of my ferrets in the pups run, and the other 2 were curled up in the pups bed.... lucky i made a point of getting them used to each other!!!! Just need to work o my joinery now!!

Personally I prefer the dogs to interact with the ferrets and only when the dog starts to get a wee bit rough do I check them, I much prefer this to a dog thats scared to go near the ferrets, when we're out actually working the dogs they know its time for work and not play :thumbs:

CNV00025.jpg

CNV00045.jpg

ferreting020.jpg

ferreting026.jpg

ferreting022.jpg

I find keeping my ferrets at ground level were they come into close contact with the dogs.The dogs and ferrets soon lose interest in each other, they my have a little sniff at each other and then get on with there own business.Once they have no interest in each other i let them out and see how they get along most of the time they act as they do in the cage and ignore each other.

• Like 1

just for the record my dogs aint scared of ferrets lol they just dont play with them, they work together lol no fear involved lol do folk think if dogs dont play with ferrets they are scared lol

I take it by FOLK you're aiming that at me, maybe you're dogs aren't scared but some folks dogs do act like they are scared, you're a bawbag lolololol

Different folks have ways of doing things but I don't have any fear of not introducing pups and ferrets by a certain age and I certainly don't like using fear of getting nipped by a ferret as a way of keeping a pup social,

dogs become social through the hunt , that means the very act of hunting or ferreting or hawking makes the dog social to whatever elements are involved in the hunt, us, ferrets or hawks ,

I don't like introducing fear of teeth in a pup at a young age for obvious reasons

• Like 2

I find keeping my ferrets at ground level were they come into close contact with the dogs.The dogs and ferrets soon lose interest in each other, they my have a little sniff at each other and then get on with there own business.Once they have no interest in each other i let them out and see how they get along most of the time they act as they do in the cage and ignore each other.

yep, i keepmine in runs on the floor rather than raised hutches. lets them and the dogs see each other all the time. also gets the ferrets used to people walking by, i seen ferrets kept in raised hutches which were perfectly tame but never saw humans from ground level, and when taken out for work they would run back down the burrows as if they wrer scared

Edited by beast
  • Like 1