Killing Everything In Site

I agree with you Ideation but don't dismiss what can be achieved with an airgun. In a lot of instances for me the airgun is the start.

:thumbs:

I totally agree Moxy, and that's why I said 'a lot of folk' rather than everyone. . . . . I keep an air rifle and in the right circumstances etc, they can be used to take a lot of game.

But in comparison to a day hitting them with say, ferrets and nets. . . . a walk with the air rifle . . . . . is usually a lot lot less productive.

• Like 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all (well most of us) have had to work hard to get our permissions, often having to work for years to get the permission from the land owner. Well we then get either a call or a yes come in for a c

The law all so states you need a passport to come in to this great country of ours ,100,000s don't have one ,its a shame we cant pick them off as well

I cant see the point of shooting every thing in site , if we all did then nothing would be left . I believe in controlling the population and not wiping it out

Hey, a thought, according the the governments pest act of 1954 - the UK is a rabbit CLEARANCE zone...... boosh, even the law says we have to shoot 'em all :)

The law all so states you need a passport to come in to this great country of ours ,100,000s don't have one ,its a shame we cant pick them off as well :laugh::laugh:

• Like 4

Hey, a thought, according the the governments pest act of 1954 - the UK is a rabbit CLEARANCE zone...... boosh, even the law says we have to shoot 'em all :)

. . . . and thank god you fail.

Because without the humble rabbit. . . .

. . . . life would truly suck!

• Like 2

When I was a lad and they introduced Mixy They said it would wipe out the Rabbit population.Well it didn't so I don't think we will wipe them out with air rifles. I was brought up on the land and it was a very sad sight to see the hundreds that died suffering from this awful disease. Too old to go hunting now but keep up the good work lads. :toast::toast::toast:

Shep you are so right,

I remember rabbits stumbling around 1/2 blind with eyes bulging out on some, I felt that bad I just went up and chopped them across the back of the nick to end the suffering.

if Mixy can take them out there is little chance that the entire hunting life members going out could achieve that,

One of my perms has a problem with ferals, the last pest control guy got the boot for what could be classed as a piss poor job apart from putting holes into the owners cladding (nice one), I don't think he knew what a back stop was for apart from something he could lean against. I took that on 6 year ago and if it flies and is a pigeon in the area it gets shot. (i do look to see if it has a ring on its leg first wherever possible and I haven't shot one yet by mistake).

Perm owners know what they want but if you can't supply the goods adiós amigo. :cray:

Permissions wasn't around in those days if the boss farmer caught you setting snares for rabbits he'd have the local plod pay you a visit or give you the sack that's why we land workers found it so upsetting. Our boss got us going round with oss n cart ( I'm from Lincolnshire and we don't call them Horses we call em Osses and they eat Gress not Grass) picking up carcasses as there was so many laying about but you wasn't supposed to.That was in the 50s..

We all (well most of us) have had to work hard to get our permissions, often having to work for years to get the permission from the land owner. Well we then get either a call or a yes come in for a chat. Then the landlord says that his problem is pigeon taking his crop/crapping on his machinery, well if you only have an air rifle you then rule yourself out of the running for this job because the farmer will want lots of pigeon rather than one or two that an air rifler can take.

So what i am saying is the farmer/land owner rules what and how many of each vermin he wants us to take, he may just want the number of rabbits reduced as they are taking the edges of his fields. Or he is breeding lambs and he wants every fox taken from his land. If he sees you with a couple because you think that a couple is enough, then the land owner goes out and sees another 10 he will think that you are not doing a good enough job. Bang goes another permission. We get our instructions from the farmer.

• Like 5

We all (well most of us) have had to work hard to get our permissions, often having to work for years to get the permission from the land owner. Well we then get either a call or a yes come in for a chat. Then the landlord says that his problem is pigeon taking his crop/crapping on his machinery, well if you only have an air rifle you then rule yourself out of the running for this job because the farmer will want lots of pigeon rather than one or two that an air rifler can take.

So what i am saying is the farmer/land owner rules what and how many of each vermin he wants us to take, he may just want the number of rabbits reduced as they are taking the edges of his fields. Or he is breeding lambs and he wants every fox taken from his land. If he sees you with a couple because you think that a couple is enough, then the land owner goes out and sees another 10 he will think that you are not doing a good enough job. Bang goes another permission. We get our instructions from the farmer.

well said Roger,me ole fruit!

• Like 1

Wasn't around quite that far back but mixy was still around in the mid to late 80's, it's one of those things that once you see it, you won't forget it

mixy has not gone away its still here. it typically cycles every seven years, if your out and about in the countryside then its likely you will see it every year in one area or another, as for permission and loosing it, i have a rake of permission and wouldn't loose it even if someone offered to pay for it or i didn't bother going for a year or two, if one of the land owners is having a problem they will either ring me or pop round for a brew and a chat, its not just about the culling of pests its about trust and respect by all parties,

Cock on Paulus, it's not all about , what the heading on this thread says , common sence has to come first , and if you get the phone call ,and the numbers have increased to unacceptable, levels , then act up on that information , the farmer has given you , but then again if you know your perm you would act accordingly anyway, I'm sure you wouldn't sit on a warren for two weeks until feck all came out just to say , that done now we can move on, it's all about , keeping the number down to a level where it is totally under control, , and the land owner is happy , but always leave the young for next season or one day you go out and find it hard to enjoy your days hunting , unless you've got 5000acres and 5000 rabbits, then you need a machine gun , or dogs that can run the marathon , and ferrets to fill a transit van

Atb Dave

Honestly? I tell a bit of a porky sometimes, about the numbers I shoot. In reality I shoot whatever adults I see and leave the young Kitts off to grow up for tomorrow's sport.

If the farmer's about and Kitts can be seen well, then I shoot them and I'm seen to be doing the job. But otherwise, I leave the youngsters be if possible.

It's really simple.

I don't want to see the countryside turned into a graveyard of wildlife and wipe out my permissions to the point where there is now't left to shoot. I've done that with my permission in West Yorkshire and going there now is a waste of petrol and time. I'll see one, maybe two rabbits if I'm lucky at all, in a month! And not a single rat, where once there were hundreds!

I make a good bag of adult Rabbits where possible, tell the farmer what he wants to hear and I keep my permission stocked with fresh sport for tomorrow.

Here endeth the confession. :angel:

Simon

Edited to add.

If the landowner asked me specifically to wipe out the entire warrens, Kitts and the lot, I would do. But my point is, if I can spare the youngsters at least, I'll have sport for tomorrow. I know what a permission shot to buggery looks like and it's not very enjoyable mooching about all day and evening for nothing.

Edited by pianoman