The Hunting Act

I see alot of talk about the hunting act coming to the house of parliament to discuss amendment to allow more figs to flush foxes. Does anyone know if hare coursing or lurchers and foxes are going to be looked at to?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Worryingly there is a strong rumour that terrier work within Hunts will be traded to get the law amended to use a full pack of hounds again , remember , the hunting Tories are usually mounted particip

Seems like we might just get a bit of luck in our small country!   Godbless the hill farmers!

And unlike you Max, I'm not willing to 'sacrifice' any of my fellow countrymen's sports or traditions to save any other, regardless of whether I enjoy that particular flavour or not.

Posted Images

Legalised Hare Coursing is never going to come back. The changes they are thinking about is solely to do with Fox Hunting, i.e. changing the sub-section of the Act from flushing to the gun with a maximum of two hounds to allow flushing to the gun with more than two hounds, and even that won't get passed as Labour, the LibDems and even a lot of Tories will vote against it. The Act will never be repealed by the Tories as I will be leapt upon by Labour as the Tories looking after their rich mates, even though that would not be the case.

• Like 3

This is all off the back of a scientific study that has shown the use of two hounds for flushing to be far less effective than a pack for flushing. That's starkly obvious to any man with an ounce of hunting experience but it took an official study to convince the suits in power..... The study has also shown that two hounds may have to hunt a fox for longer than a full pack before it will present a shot therefore in actual fact being more cruel. That little fact helped convince them.

They really need to address the use of terriers for fox control for the prevention of lamb/poultry damage too, bringing it in line with the law regarding the use of terriers by keepers. That's another boggling anomaly in the Act; for some reason keepers have more rights than farmers???

I think we'll find it difficult to justify a complete repeal and should take whatever we can get. It's a shame but hare coursing really doesn't have a leg to stand on and deer coursing is very difficult to argue for in 21stC Britain.

• Like 2

Legalised Hare Coursing is never going to come back. The changes they are thinking about is solely to do with Fox Hunting, i.e. changing the sub-section of the Act from flushing to the gun with a maximum of two hounds to allow flushing to the gun with more than two hounds, and even that won't get passed as Labour, the LibDems and even a lot of Tories will vote against it. The Act will never be repealed by the Tories as I will be leapt upon by Labour as the Tories looking after their rich mates, even though that would not be the case.

can you see the one dog one fox rule coming back in?

Didn't know there was such a rule.

• Like 1

Didn't know there was such a rule.

i heard from a man by me that they were meant to be debating a one dog one fox law in parliament due to increases in lamb and poultry attacks from the foxes, he must of been mistaken, anyone else heard anything similar?

This is all off the back of a scientific study that has shown the use of two hounds for flushing to be far less effective than a pack for flushing. That's starkly obvious to any man with an ounce of hunting experience but it took an official study to convince the suits in power..... The study has also shown that two hounds may have to hunt a fox for longer than a full pack before it will present a shot therefore in actual fact being more cruel. That little fact helped convince them.

They really need to address the use of terriers for fox control for the prevention of lamb/poultry damage too, bringing it in line with the law regarding the use of terriers by keepers. That's another boggling anomaly in the Act; for some reason keepers have more rights than farmers???

I think we'll find it difficult to justify a complete repeal and should take whatever we can get. It's a shame but hare coursing really doesn't have a leg to stand on and deer coursing is very difficult to argue for in 21stC Britain.

Every farmer I know of keeps pheasants now ..........................

• Like 3

Worryingly there is a strong rumour that terrier work within Hunts will be traded to get the law amended to use a full pack of hounds again , remember , the hunting Tories are usually mounted participants whose enjoyment is riding not digging out , it is those MPs that Cameron is aiming to please , terrier and lurcher lads are of no interest to them.

• Like 7

Worryingly there is a strong rumour that terrier work within Hunts will be traded to get the law amended to use a full pack of hounds again , remember , the hunting Tories are usually mounted participants whose enjoyment is riding not digging out , it is those MPs that Cameron is aiming to please , terrier and lurcher lads are of no interest to them.

The hunts I follow bolt or dig any fox that has gone to ground, and the mounted members wouldn't have it any other way.