My New 'plummer' Terrier

Tozer

Watch them when they are older, once they are on a scent they can be head strong buggers, best nose on any terrier i,v seen, a good Plummer is unbeatable above ground and some arent bad under it too, they take to ratting like a duck to water, you,v some good times ahead Tozer.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All training has been done on her own, the other lives with my dad and brother. But it funny how quick they forget.   Did some stock breaking today came across some cade lambs:   All good    

She just did a perfect retrieve through cover (ignoring being a bit hard mouthed) sent her and left her to it besides a gentle recall whistle. Emereged 30 seconds later.

Nice to see a thread starting from scratch to hopefully the finished article. Looks a lovely little thing mate.

Their noses are exceptional for their ages I have to say, I'll stop the posts for now until I get some working pic's in a few months time.

I am putting a lot of training into her, but she is going very deaf on scent/sight so I am hoping to break this. On her own she is perfect.

• Like 1

Tozer, any training has to be done with 1 pup alone, plummers and their crosses are very intelligent and capable of any level you wish but you're wasting your time trying to train 2 together, always a bad idea to have 2 pups at the same time, good luck, WM

All training has been done on her own, the other lives with my dad and brother. But it funny how quick they forget.

Did some stock breaking today came across some cade lambs:

All good

IMG_8732069240666_zpszhkipcjb.jpeg

Didn't think so much of some equally friendly bullock calfs

IMG_8754202209790_zpsvydfv92c.jpeg

• Like 7

I had to snap a lead on quick, she was looking to go. A few protective ewe's gave her cause for concern. Was impressed, she entered cover of her own accord following the scent of a rabbit that went in. Gave some encouragement and left her to explore for as long as she wanted.

That picture with the bullocks will make me smile for a long time yet.

Edited by Tozer
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a thread starting from scratch to hopefully the finished article. Looks a lovely little thing mate. :thumbs:

Cheers Stabba, I missed this somehow, I am learning a lot about dogs, reading etc.

Both dogs are very trainable, the smaller patchy bitch seems to have more drive, completely different and likely they will work well together.

She is on a raw food diet about a rabbit a day.

Out of interest does anyone feed their dogs pigeon? She relishes them.

Also, I do now see the difference between purpose dogs, some of the beagle/spaniel/terriers are ace, and a handy dog (something I am aiming for), she is a pot licker that will do work as and when I want!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post an update. My misses slowed me down saying I am expectin too much from a 6 month old pup.

But she caught her first rabbit, no great story of over-achievement for her age. Just a hamster sized one that squatted rather than ran. Retrieving is good to fair. Though I guess it isn't my main aim with her.

Just had mooch with her on some land riddled with rabbits that aren't hunted and she made me smile diving through nettles and grass after them. She hasn't got the blind drive of my mates patts. But I think I can make something of her.

Just over 14" and 6.5kg at nearly 7 months.

20140618_122715_zpscgf2utiy.jpg

• Like 2

Just thought I'd post an update. My misses slowed me down saying I am expectin too much from a 6 month old pup.

But she caught her first rabbit, no great story of over-achievement for her age. Just a hamster sized one that squatted rather than ran. Retrieving is good to fair. Though I guess it isn't my main aim with her.

Just had mooch with her on some land riddled with rabbits that aren't hunted and she made me smile diving through nettles and grass after them. She hasn't got the blind drive of my mates patts. But I think I can make something of her.

Just over 14" and 6.5kg at nearly 7 months.20140618_122715_zpscgf2utiy.jpg

Last thing I personally want is too much drive in my bushing dogs...drives me mad.....lovely looking bitch. Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

Cheers all, I have fell lucky that a butcher's daughter rents my dads stables and I can meat cheap.

She doesn't know the game yet but I reckpn by 18 months I 'll have her clicked on.