Your Thought Guys On The Ammo 17Hmr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blowing eye sockets apart isn't the way to stop them. If you must put one in their head try here............   He stood there looking at me, that little dark spot on the top of his nose between

I struggle to see how anyone can have the balls to come on a public shooting forum and admit such incompetence.  You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.  

The hmr can and will kill a fox humanely, sometimes, but it is not the ideal go to fox shooting round, the problem I think stems from, as said earlier the man who has been used to airguns, who gets h

Posted Images

The hmr can and will kill a fox humanely, sometimes, but it is not the ideal go to fox shooting round, the problem I think stems from, as said earlier the man who has been used to airguns, who gets himself an hmr, to him it must seem like a wonder gun, shooting rabbits @ 100 yards plus, but it aint no .22-250, and the temptation to take a pot shot at a fox, beyond the 70 yards or so it will do the job humanely, must be strong, as a comparison, a .243 has the power to kill a red stag @ 500 yards, but only a fool would consider such a shot, as would the man shooting a fox with his hmr @ 150 yards.

• Like 2

I appreciate a 17hmr isn't a ideal fox round. Until I get my 243 I havnt got a choice. Everyone says a 22 sub at 60 yards with roughly 80ftlb energy has enough power for humane head shot fox. At 60 yards a hmr has approx 175 ftlb. 136 ftlb at 100 yards and 72ftlb at 200yards so in theory enough power at say 150 yards to head shoot a fox. I wouldn't shoot past 100 yards but clean head shot on a fox at 100 yards shows well enough power. Obviously shot placement is everything

I reckon the reason a lot of lads have HAD hmrs is that when they came out they were the most powerful rimfire on the market. But realisticly the hmr costs loads to run and its noisy the .22lr is more effective in certain situations on rabbits but the hmr is more effective in other rabbiting situations. Most lads can't justify shooting a rabbit at 26p a pop with hmr where a .22 is just 9p a pop. Big difference for the pest controller. Once I get the .243 ill be selling the hmr as ill have no need for it to be honest. But for now its my sub 100yard fox rifle ;)

Ok, I'll hold my hand up and say I got bored and didn't read most of the OP, and have skipped a lot of the replies.

What is this thread about?

The HMR has been about for well over 10 years now and debated at length, what more needs to be said?

I reckon the reason a lot of lads have HAD hmrs is that when they came out they were the most powerful rimfire on the market. But realisticly the hmr costs loads to run and its noisy the .22lr is more effective in certain situations on rabbits but the hmr is more effective in other rabbiting situations. Most lads can't justify shooting a rabbit at 26p a pop with hmr where a .22 is just 9p a pop. Big difference for the pest controller. Once I get the .243 ill be selling the hmr as ill have no need for it to be honest. But for now its my sub 100yard fox rifle ;)

Well dont buy a Jag if you can't afford the Petrol !!!

Its pretty obvious if people are selling their HMR and finding a .22lr does the job they didn't need a HMR anyway.

Had 3 and sold 3.

Nuff said.

Never had any problems with .22 lr

Edited to say cost never came into it.I like the way it shoots (when your lucky enough to find a decent box of ammo ).

I got fed up of poorly made inconsistent ammo, bullets lodged in barrels several times.

Edited by dixyhmr

Who said that is impossible, any bullet from any calibre in any barrel can lodge in the barrel!?

Have to be very bad ammo to do so.

Certainly surprised me.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with HMR per se. It has it's place ie long range rabbit control, close range fox. Where it falls down is on ammo quality and that's down to the ammo manufacturers as I see it. If .17 can be made in other calibres including centre fire without neck issues then why can't it be made in .17 HMR? If it was base failings due to a weakened base due to it being thinner being rim fire, I could understand it, but round the neck, I find much harder to swallow as an inherent issue otherwise the necks would fail on .17 centre fire calibres as well due to the higher pressures. Strikes me someone is trying to make them too cheaply.

Who said that is impossible, any bullet from any calibre in any barrel can lodge in the barrel!?

Have to be very bad ammo to do so.

Certainly surprised me.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with HMR per se. It has it's place ie long range rabbit control, close range fox. Where it falls down is on ammo quality and that's down to the ammo manufacturers as I see it. If .17 can be made in other calibres including centre fire without neck issues then why can't it be made in .17 HMR? If it was base failings due to a weakened base due to it being thinner being rim fire, I could understand it, but round the neck, I find much harder to swallow as an inherent issue otherwise the necks would fail on .17 centre fire calibres as well due to the higher pressures. Strikes me someone is trying to make them too cheaply.

.17 CF cases and HMR cases are completely different, you may as well compare Apples with Concorde!

The strength, size, manufacturing/loading/priming processes are totally different!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Like I said dan I had a hmr and shot plenty of rabbits but as a foxing rifle its a no from me, had way to many runners

I struggle to see how anyone can have the balls to come on a public shooting forum and admit such incompetence.

You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.

That isn't a fault of the rifle, it is a fault of the user.

Shot close to just over 100 yards, 4 shots, 4 fox, No runners, HMR 17g V-Max

post-10759-0-60953700-1394618904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2