Irish White Tail Eagle

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/one-of-only-two-irish-bred-white-tailed-eagles-shot-and-killed-1.1713647

Now I understand why gamekeepers shoot some birds of prey such as buzzards and spars and even gos but why on earth a white tail? Hell even known of pigeon lads removing peregrines but cant get me head round this one

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As keepering and gamerearing is very rare in Ireland IMO there are only 2 type of people who would do such a thing. 1. A farmer who's either desperate or thinks he'll kill the eagle before it does an

I think you will find, in Ireland at least, most of these types of bop killings come from farmers not gamekeepers. It has been well proven sea eagles take lambs, there is a scheme in Scotland for co

So you have never shot one then,,,,, I thought I was the bollox with a gun till I went on beaters day,,,, I'm fecking useless ,,, there hard to hit mate I can tell thee,, especially them fecking partr

Posted Images

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/one-of-only-two-irish-bred-white-tailed-eagles-shot-and-killed-1.1713647

Now I understand why gamekeepers shoot some birds of prey such as buzzards and spars and even gos but why on earth a white tail? Hell even known of pigeon lads removing peregrines but cant get me head round this one

Not all Gamekeepers are wildlife criminals ... though it doesn't help the publics appreciation of that fact reading some of the comments on here from time to time... . This incident appears to be just a random act by some fool who obviously should not have a gun licence(assuming he even has one!!).

I think you will find, in Ireland at least, most of these types of bop killings come from farmers not gamekeepers.

It has been well proven sea eagles take lambs, there is a scheme in Scotland for compensating farmers for losses to livestock by bop.

Ps I would kill them all pete lol

• Like 4

As keepering and gamerearing is very rare in Ireland IMO there are only 2 type of people who would do such a thing.

1. A farmer who's either desperate or thinks he'll kill the eagle before it does any damage.

2. The out and out cowboy that fortunately is rare but does sadly be in our ranks.

Sadly there are assholes out there who go by the motto "if it flies it dies" and there are youngsters who'll borrow daddies gun for a shot.

Either way it's our wildlife and the legitimate fieldsports man who suffers.

And also IMO statements like "I can understand why keepers kill buzzards and spars" helps no one.

There's a big difference between wanting something gone and doing something about it.

I'd love to see a cull on the buzzards but f****d if I'm going to risk loosing my gun over them.

• Like 7

I don't agree with killing BOP for the sake of a few poxy pheasants that some lard arsed shotters going to maim anyway. Any keeper caught killing them should be jailed IMO.

• Like 3

I don't agree with killing BOP for the sake of a few poxy pheasants that some lard arsed shotters going to maim anyway. Any keeper caught killing them should be jailed IMO.

So a man killing a bop should go to jail trying to protect his livelihood. I suppose a man running a hare should face the same then...surely that's worse as it's just for fun??

• Like 2

you will do when the buzzards kill a load of this seasons leverets :laugh: and they do kill them :yes: what is to be done when a protected species is the reason for the decline in a another species already in trouble :hmm:

So a man killing a bop should go to jail trying to protect his livelihood. I suppose a man running a hare should face the same then...surely that's worse as it's just for fun??

Maybe the way the man runs his business should be looked into. It's upto him to make sure his place is vermin protected with fencing etc. anyone who lets his "livelihood" roam free in the wild needs to expect the wildlife to see his "livelihood" as free game. As for coursing hares, the penalties are sever mate.

you will do when the buzzards kill a load of this seasons leverets :laugh: and they do kill them :yes: what is to be done when a protected species is the reason for the decline in a another species already in trouble :hmm:

Then they need to be controlled. I wouldn't say the pheasant is in decline though lol.

Maybe the way the man runs his business should be looked into. It's upto him to make sure his place is vermin protected with fencing etc. anyone who lets his "livelihood" roam free in the wild needs to expect the wildlife to see his "livelihood" as free game. As for coursing hares, the penalties are sever mate.

I'll ignore the first bit.

Penalties are every bit if not more severe for shooting a hook beak. You will continue to break the law in the name of sport and some will break the law to provide a living for there family...?

• Like 2

You are missing the point of the thread, Id be willing to bet it was a farmer or arsehole who shot the bird, not a keeper.

The number of full time keepers in Ireland is minimal, very few large sporting estates.

• Like 2