Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

Bow down before gone to earth, no more need to comment now.

. Lol. You made the comment. Working terrierd are in decline. And preserving slow starters is aiding it. Back it Up then. Rossthedog
Back it up ,its a internet forum there's no way of prooving what I've experienced that's why these type of sites are a haven for waisters dreamer liears and even antis lol you just have to weigh up what you read disregard or give attention to what you want its all piss and wind .
. Its a debate opinions thats all when people make statements like working terriers are in decline i wonder why there saying it and ask , your statement of late developers are ruining terriers has no substance nor has entering early it all personal choice , I seen good and bad for all the years in my interest in terriers No better or worse now never owned this 100%. Terrier just honest grafters that suited what i wanted them to do never been embarred becase one failed never got all cocker whoop because one succeded , highs and lows. Thats terriers Edited by gonetoearth

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

What it boils down to is this i think .Many on here have gone through life trying this dog and that dog ,a few big name dogs and bred a few off non descripts themselves .Some because they know no better and some because they cant be assed to do any research.To expect any levelling out and confidence in what you have with this method is confusing for these owners whereby they choose to broaden standards to suit their own haphazard methods .Anybody SERIOUS about the game and had the forsight ,mentoring is breeding a line. There will be be incoming im sure but for many of you its too late .Line bred dogs are predictable .simple.If a terrier of mine and im sure many others does not enter by 14 -16 months then its a misfit and gone .To wait would mean i lower the standard i breed to and that aint happening .I learnt a long time ago not to except anything other than self entered stock .Too many terriers fired up at the end of a dig only to get smashed and put away until the next time and repeated to fail when it ultimately matters . IMO the lad that said slow starters aid the decline of good working stock aint too far out .

• Like 3

What it boils down to is this i think .Many on here have gone through life trying this dog and that dog ,a few big name dogs and bred a few off non descripts themselves .Some because they know no better and some because they cant be assed to do any research.To expect any levelling out and confidence in what you have with this method is confusing for these owners whereby they choose to broaden standards to suit their own haphazard methods .Anybody SERIOUS about the game and had the forsight ,mentoring is breeding a line. There will be be incoming im sure but for many of you its too late .Line bred dogs are predictable .simple.If a terrier of mine and im sure many others does not enter by 14 -16 months then its a misfit and gone .To wait would mean i lower the standard i breed to and that aint happening .I learnt a long time ago not to except anything other than self entered stock .Too many terriers fired up at the end of a dig only to get smashed and put away until the next time and repeated to fail when it ultimately matters . IMO the lad that said slow starters aid the decline of good working stock aint too far out .

bollox. Only my opion though Edited by gonetoearth

Explain why you have late starters then mate ,should make for interesting reading .By your last post ,that puts you in the category of not breeding a line therefore its understandable that you are confused and looking for an explanation as to why some of your stock is lacking and cull worthy .

bollox. Only my opion though

bigger bollox. and thats my opinion.

I've had dogs start late (2 is fairly late imo) and gone on to be good honest dogs and are still working now, but these were pups i had off mates which i already knew are later starters than my own! If a pup off my own dogs/digging partners line aren't started by 18 months they will be gone as i know the line and know they have been early starters for over 20 years and anything that doesnt show interest early on will not amount to anything! I have no problem at all with giving a pup time if they are known to be late starters but id rather stick to my own dogs which are rearing to go from 10 months or so, each to there own imo

Explain why you have late starters then mate ,should make for interesting reading .

. Long long time ago when men were men and digging was legal. Wouldent you like to know lol not all are like i said i take pride in bringing terriers on. And have patience. Think about it for a while there a big differsnce. , I do what i do for me not for any one else or to breed for finaical gain or name. Because i like working terriers end of

Youve not answered anything .Why are your dogs or anyone elses for that matter ,late starters .You refer to times gone by but no change from what i remember .Perhaps things have softened for you ,the thought in the back of your mind that you could of done things better .Me ,no regrets at all and im now where my mentor was when he explained it to me .Like i said too late for some but hey ho .

Explain why you have late starters then mate ,should make for interesting reading .

. Long long time ago when men were men and digging was legal. Wouldent you like to know lol not all are like i said i take pride in bringing terriers on. And have patience. Think about it for a while there a big differsnce. , I do what i do for me not for any one else or to breed for finaical gain or name. Because i like working terriers end of
I think your all missing the point guys a dog has only gotto please you and no one else you feed it and pick up its shit early or late long as your happy f**k any one else just my opinion

Youve not answered anything .Why are your dogs or anyone elses for that matter ,late starters .You refer to times gone by but no change from what i remember .Perhaps things have softened for you ,the thought in the back of your mind that you could of done things better .Me ,no regrets at all and im now where my mentor was when he explained it to me .Like i said too late for some but hey ho .

. Ansewrd anything on here lol yeh fooking loads of chance Softened for me. No why should it , Mentor lol. My mentor was a sholvel andme terrier and getting out leaning by me own and me mates mistakes. From lands end to johna groats lol.

If you inbreed to stock that starts early and omit stock that doesnt start early from a breeding program then eventually the trait to start early will become purer in the strain and so dominant. Wether that would maker earlier starters better in the long run as finished workers than the slower ones is another question.

. Ansewrd anything on here lol yeh fooking loads of chance Softened for me. No why should it , Mentor lol. My mentor was a sholvel andme terrier and getting out leaning by me own and me mates mistakes. From lands end to johna groats lol.
. Oh and they only thing on the back of my mind is why the fook didnt i put a bigger wedge on earth summit. Regrets over terrier lol get a fooking life lol