Oldest Dog

9 is the oldest, in 30+ years of owning lurchers, thats the one I've got now.

He's only lasted that long due to having one eye, a damaged spine and an easier time of things over the past few years, in comparison to everything i've previously owned....

That said, my first lived till she was 17 but I never owned nor kenneled her, she was the family dog.

mines been through the wars as you know, but i made the decision as long as he wants to go and can manage an hour or two a day he can keep coming,

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got an 11year old who still tags along although various old injuries have taken their toll he still puts the other 2 to shame without breaking a sweat once in a while.....you can't buy experience

A roofer who worked for a builder we did jobs for had a beddy whippet bitch that was about 17, he used to just leave the van open and she pottered around the place.

I've tried telling the old fella he has a supposed "heart murmur" aswell as arthritis but as long as he jumps up when the boots go on he is more than welcome to tag along. He don't move when he gets h

Posted Images

Aren't beddies meant to be one of the longest living breeds?

so they say mate if yhat bitch never got knocked down it would of went on and on lol
A roofer who worked for a builder we did jobs for had a beddy whippet bitch that was about 17, he used to just leave the van open and she pottered around the place.
  • Like 1

9 is the oldest, in 30+ years of owning lurchers, thats the one I've got now.

He's only lasted that long due to having one eye, a damaged spine and an easier time of things over the past few years, in comparison to everything i've previously owned....

That said, my first lived till she was 17 but I never owned nor kenneled her, she was the family dog.

mines been through the wars as you know, but i made the decision as long as he wants to go and can manage an hour or two a day he can keep coming,

thats very true i do believe a dog will let you know when its time to retire

I've tried telling the old fella he has a supposed "heart murmur" aswell as arthritis but as long as he jumps up when the boots go on he is more than welcome to tag along. He don't move when he gets home or for a few days after as he is a bit stiff...... But wouldn't have it any other way.

He'd only climb the walls if I left him behind!

• Like 1

I've tried telling the old fella he has a supposed "heart murmur" aswell as arthritis but as long as he jumps up when the boots go on he is more than welcome to tag along. He don't move when he gets home or for a few days after as he is a bit stiff...... But wouldn't have it any other way.

my dog is 7 and if my partner or me goes out hunting without him he goes mad as soon as the gear goes on he knows what is happening and starts going mad. it just shows they love what they do.

my dog is 7 and if my partner or me goes out hunting without him he goes mad as soon as the gear goes on he knows what is happening and starts going mad. it just shows they love what they do.

An 8 year old and a 7 year old its good to see they still out doing a bit :thumbs:

My bitch is around 8 and still out often.. I say around 8 as I had her when she was 2 cos the boy said she was no good and kept being sick in the car and wasnt exactly sure when she was born.. . 8 months later she was catching rabbits for fun... had a night out with a guy who knew the dog before had it and he couldn't beleave it was the same dog lol....... she is injured at the moment but she'll be back out soon.....

• Like 1

My bitch is around 8 and still out often.. I say around 8 as I had her when she was 2 cos the boy said she was no good and kept being sick in the car and wasnt exactly sure when she was born.. . 8 months later she was catching rabbits for fun... had a night out with a guy who knew the dog before had it and he couldn't beleave it was the same dog lol....... she is injured at the moment but she'll be back out soon.....

happy days sometimes its the older dogs that could put the young ones to sham lol.

Was out today me my brother and our two young lads,he has my wizz dog aka shotgunwilly a hare jumped easy 80 yards he reeled it in got to it started working it now at the other end of this field there's a dodge fence double strand barbed wire fence and four feet the other end thers an old rusty gate and the hares have a pad through it,the hare got to its run through and didn't the big dog jump the lot got back onto his hare and worked it till it went outa sight,not bad for a dog coming 10....

i had an old cur bred thing that was still lamping at 13, not long shifts but i would let her have a few runs to keep her interested in life. she died from cancer not long before her 14th birthday, absolutely broke my heart as she was originally a 15th birthday present from my mum, spent nearly half my life with that dog.

we've had two or three others go on to 14/15, but not really doing any work past about 10, just sniffing round after the youngsters really!