After some advice felas. Last year i moved into the sticks and now live down a dirt track. This goes hand in hand with wanting a 4 wheeled drive. However i comute about 15000 miles a year. Also i have a young family. I am after some ideas that could incorporate all these things? I have been looking at subaru forrester and impreza (not wrx) and putting some a/t tyres on but they only return about 28mpg. I was wondering if there were anyother similar vehicles to consider?

i have considered having a car and an isuzu trooper but then its two tax two mot two insurance. . . . Which is why i am looking for a happy medium.

cheers

ry

• Like 1

Forester would be ideal but like you say mpg not great

Audi estate quattro diesel

Think some newer saabs have 4 wheel drive and its subaru running gear on them a diesel one of them ? I get 75 miles to a tenner from my saab 93 vector sport and still pretty quick but not 4wd imagine they would be slightly worse on fuel but not a lot

Been looking into the options suggested on here lads (thanks by the way) and i am now weighing up wether its worth runing two vehicles. Keep the work car i have for the commute and i have been looking at gettin an isuzu trooper aswell. I reckon looking for something that will do both jobs there is goin to be comprimises on the off roading ability and the economy. Although i will have double insurance and tax etc i will be saving money on my weekly fuel bill.

I think i would be better paying a bit more out and have two vehicles suited for purpose rather than trying to combine into one that does both jobs half arsed?

Also i am hoping to get into the shooting more now i live out here in the sticks and rolling up to a shoot in a trooper might turn a few less heads than an audi quattro driving into the field?!

• Like 1

+1 on the X-Trail.

Good combination of both and late 30's mpg is reasonable fuel economy....

As for ground clearance, it's not as high as a dedicated 4x4, but plenty higher than an average car. Pretty good off road to, going on Youtube videos...

• Like 1