Move To Eire?

My wife and I have been looking at properties in Eire and have been talking about going over for a long holiday for sometime. We both have historical links to Eire so I guess thats were my mad passion for hunting and dogs comes from...

We quite fancy the East coast, as considering travel for relatives visiting and for ourselves going back for visits.

I would be really interested to hear from any of the lads on here as to the things we should be looking out for and issues we perhaps hadnt considered,

I have looked at the education system as we have a 5 year old lad (Hayden Connor, how Celt is that.) and would be looking to move for life, not just pop over for holidays...

I know the weather is not that of the South of France or Spain but we are attracted by what appears to be a more tranquil pace of life.

As I have a pension coming in, work would not be something we would have to worry about straight away, as I would be happy to just do some part time work to keep me sane..

Whats the shooting and hunting like over their? Is it more popular due to the general rural layout of Ireland?

Would be intrested to hear from people over in Ireland or perhaps even people who have moved over themselves..

Many thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just like Greece the EU allowed Ireland to borrow money at low rates which they did (without a thought to how it would be paid off) and now the money has run out the artificially high value of the Eur

here take a look at this shower of pricks,the council clamping THE COUNCILS BIN LORRY ffs sake,says it all.Im too old to move anywhere(and completely broke).just talking to a carpenter an hour ago,he

and clipo its always there for him to return to,but if you want to do justice to the skills and have determination to be wealthy and successfull,its almost mandatory to emigrate.were told we all went

You pay for everything!!! Iwas born and brought up there and have lived the same amount of time in the UK.

I would have to earn twice my salary to have a comparable standard of living.

You pay to see the doctor so if you have to see the doc regularly it's not cheap unless you have some serious insurance.

Car fuel is a little cheaper but car tax is at least twice the price.

Food is in general at least a third more expensive. Asda in Strabane and Enniskillen are always in the top 5 busiest Asda stores because that many people from the south use them.

Beer is at least 20 % more as well.

I would love to live back there but can't until the lottery comes my way.

Do a Cost of Living comparison between the both then add another 10/15 % for contingencies.

Atb Brewman

• Like 1

Wow! the Republic of Ireland was cheap as chips when we went there last, mind you that was in 1988. We were refused buying a fishing license because they were on strike after the government tried to put the prices up :laugh:

Lovely country :thumbs:

My wife and I have been looking at properties in Eire and have been talking about going over for a long holiday for sometime. We both have historical links to Eire so I guess thats were my mad passion for hunting and dogs comes from...

We quite fancy the East coast, as considering travel for relatives visiting and for ourselves going back for visits.

I would be really interested to hear from any of the lads on here as to the things we should be looking out for and issues we perhaps hadnt considered,

I have looked at the education system as we have a 5 year old lad (Hayden Connor, how Celt is that.) and would be looking to move for life, not just pop over for holidays...

I know the weather is not that of the South of France or Spain but we are attracted by what appears to be a more tranquil pace of life.

As I have a pension coming in, work would not be something we would have to worry about straight away, as I would be happy to just do some part time work to keep me sane..

Whats the shooting and hunting like over their? Is it more popular due to the general rural layout of Ireland?

Would be intrested to hear from people over in Ireland or perhaps even people who have moved over themselves..

Many thanks

are you furkin mad,lol....if you like geting raped at every turn,go for it.the government are liars and thieves,the weather is shit,and in general the place is in the shit.....................but if you have money and dont mind paying tripple for everything then its a great place.stay away from mid east,you'll be too close to Dublin,full of chancers :laugh: ...stay away from west, its barren and full of sheep.stay away from limerick as its a ticking time bomb,lol the only place to live is southern ireland,lots of sporting gentlemen and kind folk.But all in all Id be inclined to stay away from here completely if I could :laugh: .GREAT PLACE IF YOUR WEALTHY THOUGH AND DONT MIND STEPING ON YOUR FELLOW MAN :tongue2:

• Like 2

Find a nice rural village in uk,you will have a better infrastructure, and your son will have better chances.

was just thinking the same, ok the weathers is shit now but its the same everywhere, free health care, dole money,etc....... that's why nearly every fooker comes here lol, there lots of nice rural places ,and along the coast in the uk

Find a nice rural village in uk,you will have a better infrastructure, and your son will have better chances.

was just thinking the same, ok the weathers is shit now but its the same everywhere, free health care, dole money,etc....... that's why nearly every fooker comes here lol, there lots of nice rural places ,and along the coast in the uk

Go to a small town village in uk you can spend a day out there,clean well cared for lots to see,go to the same in ireland you will have seen it all in half hour.

Free very cheap medicine(uk) will cost you a fourtune over there.

• Like 2

makes me laugh the amount of people over here who proudly boast "im irish" and hate the english yet have never been to ireland lol the only thing irish about them is they drink guiness and jamesons on paddys day :yes:

• Like 1

I had 6 months in a place called Rathangan not far from the Curragh in1995 . I loved every minute of my time there and always said I would like to retire there. Although everybody I speak to from Ireland now says it's not the same place , surely it can't of changed that much ?

• Like 1

I had 6 months in a place called Rathangan not far from the Curragh in1995 . I loved every minute of my time there and always said I would like to retire there. Although everybody I speak to from Ireland now says it's not the same place , surely it can't of changed that much ?

Upto just before the recession about 45% of the working population paid little or no tax which meant they over borrowed then the crash happened so the government started to punish everyone to make up for their fcuking up.

My mother has had about 25% deducted from her pension by the criminal class and no raises when she paid tax for over 50 years.

They'll smile and say welcome while they have their hands in your pockets.

The old quaint friendly romantic dream of Ireland is dead and buried.

It's an expensive hole not worth the risk.

• Like 1

It cant be that bad surely.....

Is it just the systems that are antiquated? I know we pay a lot in tax over here but at least get the bins emptied..

I guess I need to hear from people who are loving there at the moment.. I dont mind paying more for a loaf of bread if I can have a place with a few acres to have a few animals I could raise and slaughter.. Its all swings and roundabouts..

Will have to do lots more research..

Thanks guys

Honestly mate ,I think your trying to live a dream ,add up all the odds ,listen to

the folk that live down there ,I think its an expensive move going by friends and

family who live there ,but at end of the day ,Its your life and if you,ve the money then

live your dream .

• Like 1