A Careful Busher

I was just wondering today is my bitch careful when she's bushing or is it just her size that she never really gets cut when bushing but goes in everywhere there is no rabbit run she wont push her way through ..I was just wondering because I keep reading about dogs getting cut when out bushing..here is just a few pics off here out today

2014-01-12%2016.43.49_zpsl6hdzgf1.jpg

2014-01-12%2016.47.35_zpstqpxtkx3.jpg

She's in there somewhere

2014-01-12%2016.47.40_zpsc5jalkyz.jpg

It just depends what type of cover you work , your dog looks like it is going in some grass and a bit of bracken , i would consider light cover . Dense bramble or gorse i would consider heavy cover , and you can expect your dog to get cut a bit . Also your dog will only attack cover if he thinks something is in there , if he is on ground that holds little or no game he will be switched off .

• Like 4

My one is always getting cut and she is not in the cover that much but i think it is because of her size she is about 15tts that and the fact it is mainly blackthorn bushes around where i take her. Back in begining of march i had to take her to the vets, the following day after being out her eye was almost shut, vet had to stitch it shut in order 4 it to heal. But i must say that when she is on a rabbit in the cover she will plough through anything in fact she is like a different dog, but when their are no rabbits about she does not want to know.

Edited by day and night walker

It just depends what type of cover you work , your dog looks like it is going in some grass and a bit of bracken , i would consider light cover . Dense bramble or gorse i would consider heavy cover , and you can expect your dog to get cut a bit . Also your dog will only attack cover if he thinks something is in there , if he is on ground that holds little or no game he will be switched off .

yes she does work light cover mostly cause its what is on most of my ground but when she does go in to the heavy cover she goes through it and still never gets cut

yes she does work light cover mostly cause its what is on most of my ground but when she does go in to the heavy cover she goes through it and still never gets cut

As long as the dog is giving you sport whats the problem ? Sounds to me like you have a sensible dog .

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Depends on the thickness of its coat for one. Also i'v met a lot of lads, no disrespect, that think they have to work thick cover but then when they come down to my neck of the woods they realise just how easy they have it. My terriers are always cut up, nothing major, just cuts and scrapes from very thick dense bramble cover. But at the end of the day if they do there job and flush the game etc, a few cuts or not doesnt make a blind bit of difference.