Night-time longnetting 2

mapreader

Sunday night and a mediocre wind from the sou-west was picking up , light rain was also forecast so I planned three drops, the first of 400 yds and the next two with 500. My mate was on one of his first time outings with me also. I usually only run 300 at this drop but the amount of rabbits I,d been seeing showed previously unoccupied buries were now being used. The drop isn,t straight forward but involves quit a few turns and we started to hit rabbits on the drop... in full holler mode!

The push in didn,t reveal a great deal of rabbits out on the feeding ground and the same followed when we got back to the nets...we accounted for a paltry 19 rabbits...five of them with advanced myxi. I,d killed a myxied one on this very road a few days prior to this...By now the wind had dropped completely and the rain that fell earlier had turned into a heavy dew.

I also noticed, on paunching the rabbits that most were not showing full stomachs..suggesting that they weren,t out in force feeding. Something that has happened before on this road.

Here,s the 19 rabbits

DSCF0024Small-2.jpg

I checked the feild out the following night...late...and saw there was still quite a few on the feild so it will be a late one next time!

On to last nights expedition, this time with a proper wind. Again a Sou-Wester. The plan was to do one of the drops that we did,nt get round to doing on Sunday. The first drop was going to be with 500 yds. To say the ground was rock solid was an understatement...so much so that I had to bar in around two thirds of the pegs...

DSCF0015Small-1.jpg

This pic WASN,T taken in the actual setting of the nets :doh: I can here you from here Moley...guess what mate...you,ve convinced me to go with the fibreglass pins when I source them from elsewhere! :wallbash::wallbash::signthankspin:

The pics aren,t the best as the flash seemed to be playing up...We hit quite a few doubles in the nets and around 15 yards of net was laid flat with rabbits in the net but obviously some will have gone over

DSCF0002Small-1.jpg

DSCF0005Small-1.jpg

DSCF0008Small-1.jpg

Err...don,t think these were Siamese twins!!!!DSCF0009Small-1.jpg

As usual a foot rope had to be bitten through as well...so much for dark and heavier bottom lines...had two bitten on Sunday as well!!!!

DSCF0011Small-1.jpg

This one,s a crap pic but I just couldn,t get the full scale of what was going on here..there were sixteen rabbits in around 15 to 20 yds of net...

DSCF0007Small-2.jpg

Told you it was crap...LOL

We did rather well on this drop as the previous best was around the 35 mark....tonight we took 71 rabbits...all clean .

DSCF0013Small-1.jpg

Onto the second drop of the night and a 300 yarder...I was forced to come in from the "wrong" way on this one due to the wind veering more than normal...it,s wrong because of the way the feild lies...it puts you closer onto the feeding area, but it was the only way. Another cock-up was I used my mates net on the end thinking it was a 100 yarder only to fall 15 yds short of the full set thereby costing us around 8 to 10 rabbits ish!

The catch from this field was 33...

DSCF0016Small-1.jpg

The total take for the night came to 104 rabbits and only two showed signs of myxi. a personal best for me and a good start to my mates long-netting career!!!! You wil have to take my word for the number as I wasn,t going to mess about lining them all up!!!

DSCF0020Small-3.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics and may I say that at no time at all was a net set in UNDER one minute...nothing at all UNIQUE was used to make this catch....and all rabbits went to a good home... LOL!!!

Regards Mapreader

Hi Stubby...I don,t know of any dvd,s etc of that type. I,m self taught and the only way I learnt was by getting out there and doing it. You won,t catch much with a net if it ain,t in the feild...don,t wait to be perfect just get out and give it a go. It,s quite funny you asked that question though...that whole night was vidioed by my mate which is why I was having to bar the pegs in myself rather than work together.

Hi Netman...because I had planned a total of three drops that night, two of which were 500 yarders each together with the walking between drops, I tried to snatch a lead and get in earlier. As anyone who,s had big catches will tell you there is an AWFUL amount of work involved up and down the net. In reality as I was being filmed on that night also I doubt if we would have got the three drops done as the filming is a real pain in the arse [ the film is for myself and several freinds only].

As for why the rabbits weren,t out in numbers...sooo many possible explainations. The next time I do this drop it will more than likely be after midnight and due to the nature of the ground it will be the first drop of the night again if I,m working on a sou-wester. If the wind swings round to the west then it gives me more options on what order I will work in

Regards Mapreader

• 2 weeks later...