Walking Hill And Forest.

I try to get out on rough ground at least a couple of times a week as I love it and it's good for the dogs. I don't usually take a camera with me but did today so here're a few snaps. Only a pocket camera but you get the idea.

The pup is 8 months now and huge but looks as if she'll grow a bit more yet!!

2014_01090074.jpg

2014_01090054.jpg

2014_01090056.jpg

2014_01090044.jpg

2014_01090092.jpg

2014_01090053.jpg

2014_01090087.jpg

2014_01090035.jpg

2014_01090099.jpg

2014_01090104-1.jpg

Dusk was drawing in before I got back to the car.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 6

Absolutely fantastic stuff..doing a cracking job rearing that young dog..brought up exactly as I do my own..get em out amongst every different type of terrain possible and come the day they start grafting hopefully there won't be nothing that phases them when up the arse of whatever quarry they are chasing ") ..superb buddy..happy times ahead I am pretty certain..good luck.

• Like 2

She's a smashing looking dog alright though if I'm honest she's a bit bigger than I was hoping for. I hoped she'd make around 27 to 28 ats and she's already made 28 and got more to go. The best thing about her is her temperament. She's calm and unfazed by anything (including electric fences so far) and she loves a rough and tumble. I have to call her off of the other dogs sometimes when they're playing as she hurts them by hanging onto tails, legs and necks way too hard. In spite of this she seems soft mouthed with rabbits. She's caught two so far and I skinned both and found no bruising at all. Both were live to hand too.

2014_01090042.jpg

I liked this photo best if I hadn't cut the pup's head off.

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Just like to add, back in the 60s when that breed was most common, you put that cross over a very good 3/4 grey 1/4 collie,

even then that way of breeding was not finished, you put a grew, over a bitch of that breeding,and then you had a very powerful dog around 25to 26" bitch 24to 26" could lift Hare, rabbit and Roe, Hard bred dogs, but there was always a down side, when you bred again, you could have a litter of pups all around 22to 23" or up stairs 28/29" the chance of breeding

let some one else breed and you go and pick your pup, (((((( very nice dogs good photos, I am sure they will fill your freezer, ((((( all that type of breeding had great temperaments, nothing fazed them, just took all in there stride,2nd season is when you see a true type of dog you have, patience is all you need, just like the saluki hybrid,

• Like 1

Patience won't be a problem. The deer/grey breeding is a new thing to me though. For the last 40 years I've had collie crosses, apart from one Mick Douglas bred dog and a couple of whippets. The collie crosses have been OK really (I've had a couple of good ones, a couple rubbish and the rest middling). When you get a good collie cross they can make a good show at almost anything.

This pup's surprised me though. She's almost trained herself and stockbreaking has been easy so far (touch wood). I've been surprised at how clever she is, I wasn't expecting it.

She's deerhound greyhound, bred by Alan Charles. Neither the deerhound sire or the greyhound dam were big for their breed and both take rabbit hare and fox. Pups from previous litters have taken all kinds of game.

i was in with alan a few times h took us for a few hunts seemed to know his dogs good ould set up. :thumbs: