Winter Carp Tactics???

Hi guys, this is my first time posting in this part but anyway..

me and my father were thinking of going for a little winter carp session, but not too sure of what tactics work well in this time of year.

although, we have thought about it and this was what we were thinking of doing.

we are going to travel light, placing handfuls of bait into several key areas of the pond i.e margin swims

then dropping method feeders filled with pellets or ground bait with spicy pellet or corn on the hook on top and fishing a slack line as not to spook the fish.

but we were wondering if there are any of you who could steer us into the right direction/ point out key flaws.

any input into bait choice/ tactics would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Lew

• Like 1

Try using yellow hi-viz pop up's fished on a zig-rig mate, also try and put them to any features like weed, etc, and don't be afraid to cast them to showing fish! don't use anything to oiliey like pellets as they won't break down properly in the cold water, maggots can be devastating in winter, especially if there is a lot of "natural" food in the lake, don't over do it on freebies if using boilies. Little bags of crushed boilies can help to get a run also, best of luck and tight lines dude!

• Like 3

Try using yellow hi-viz pop up's fished on a zig-rig mate, also try and put them to any features like weed, etc, and don't be afraid to cast them to showing fish! don't use anything to oiliey like pellets as they won't break down properly in the cold water, maggots can be devastating in winter, especially if there is a lot of "natural" food in the lake, don't over do it on freebies if using boilies. Little bags of crushed boilies can help to get a run also, best of luck and tight lines dude!

had lots of success with this method over the years using fluoro boilies,good advice :thumbs:

Crushed boil lie , tiny mesh Pva Bag no bigger than a ten pence bit ,tutti fruity on the hair , with plastic corn as visual, your fishing for a single bite this time of year, as the lads have said forget the pellet , and cast to showing fish every time, if you've not had any luck within a hour or so re cast to a different area , you've got find them this time of year there not vey active , and will hold up in one place, deeper water would be a good bet

Atb and tight lines

Dave

• Like 1

Match lakes are crammed with fish. Still apply the same tactics as said.

If it was me i would still fish maggot as it increases your chance of a bite. Might not be a carp but better than sitting there in the cold doing nothing. If you want carp then try a boilie but don't over feed :)

Try and target roach or something like that and am sure you will get the odd carp appear?

dont feed too much mate your fishing more for bites this time of year wouldnt fish a method either filling with bait try a nice limp of meat on the bomb and cast around your swim remember the fish arnt moving too much so you need to find them find a nice cube of meat works better than the corn but having different hookbaits helps also pop up bread on the bomb with a 18in hook length if your fishing a pole line just feed very small amounts drop few pieces in a cad pot then for every fish you catch drop a couple more

I'm a bit late to this post, but if you are just out to catch a few carp, not specimen hunting, I suggest going for bread, as suggested by andy97. Last week I fished a local pond and fished 5mm pellets of bread on a small waggler rig with a pole. It was a slow starter, after feeding a couple of balls of a 50/50 mix of liquidized bread and Supercup ground bait.

OkuNW2d.jpg

This was the net of fish I took in four hours fishing, having lost a couple of lumps. The secret of winter bread punch fishing is to only feed, when the bites drop off. In the end I had them queueing up, but rain stopped play.

More pics and my Blog are here: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/bread-punch-fishing-finds-some-winter-carp-and-crucians/

• 2 months later...